It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MonsterQuest and Cryptozoology Programs - The greatest hits and misses.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Hi everybody.

I've recently watched a lot of MonsterQuest programs on Youtube.
I began with the attitude that nothing would be found, because the mainstream media would have announced it long before the programs were broadcast.
However some things were intriguing and found, and I'd love some input from people who know these programs, or who could have some updates.
I find the Wikipedia entry on MonsterQuest highly misleading and inadequate.
en.wikipedia.org...

- First there was the Bigfoot attack in a hunting cabin that apparently yielded hair and blood samples. I'm not sure there was ever an update. Although the samples yielded old and possibly contaminated DNA, I recall it was of an ape-like creature.
- There was a search for a giant squid that came out with camera footage of the creature (although that specific creature wasn't really "unknown").
- A large black cat indeed freely stalked Britain (unsure of the program however, could be the program on "Alien Big Cats" from the Animal X series).
- On the "Isle of the lost Tiger" episode a Tasmanian Tiger (Thylacine) footprint was clearly found and identified.
- The Star Child skull was found to be unusual, and it's reconstructing yielded rather shocking results of a very non-human being, although it was disappointingly forced into a program on Lizard Monsters in West Virginia.
- "Whale song" from an advanced creature, but certainly not a whale, in Lake Champlain.

Isn't it annoying that when evidence is found, it's always a case of "We need more evidence", or "The search must continue, but the scientists aren't interested"?

Please discuss such incidences, or other programs where you feel convinced by "proof", or what counts as "proof" to yourself.

On the other hand, do you feel that sometimes adventurous researchers actually chase away creatures like Bigfoot, by plodding through the forest and deliberately spreading scents and the evidence of humans?
Have they wasted some really good opportunities?

What would you investigate further with some funds?

The problem with the program seems to be that it was badly formulated and spent large amounts of time on unlikely proofs and creatures, instead of more time on the few that are quite likely.
In it's scientific framework it also became hyper-cautious, and at times undervalued its own findings.

edit on 5-6-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
MonsterQuest - America's Lochness Monster episode.
In 2002 an echo-location from an unknown creature was reported in Lake Champlain.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
From the Isle Of The Lost Tiger episode.

A Thylacine footprint is found.

See 6:00 minutes into the clip:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I love these types of shows.
Sometimes they are super cheesy but at other times it's very interesting.
If I had the money to look for anything it would be the chupacabra, because it's supposively close to me and probably wont be big enough to kill me, unlike bigfoot.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Great points.

To me they seem cheesy at first.

But then they become laborious and boring.

There's a formula that's wrong in some programs.

They will, for example, examine an old hair or unsure photos, and use these as a bait for the viewer to see the outcome.
But the viewers have become more advanced and can already deduct an outcome (images are neither here nor there, and hair could be contaminated, or from a body part without comparison to a living specimen).
Meanwhile the really fascinating stuff is hidden and even downplayed by this formula.

To put the Starchild skull's reconstruction into a program on "floating lizard men" was just a shocking editorial decision.

To put the reconstructive process and their difficulties with the outcome together one has to struggle through a lot of irrelevant material on Lizard Monsters.
Then there's an anthropologist who says it's some deliberate human modification, but a few sentences later she admits it's like no modification she ever came across.
The final Starchild result is flashed as a final footnote, rather than examined!
(See 4:30 into the clip.)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

They really should give the starchild it's own show.
I'd be interested to see what they have to say.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I have deleted my post due to my own terminal mental vapor lock. I posted my opinion on the show "Lost Tapes" Sorry I basically watched both and a few others back to back. Now to Monster Quest, Netflix has them all in one place and I did a marathon watching them. There were several episodes that intrigued me and I found it interesting although shallow on information. Just as I do with other Crypted and Paranormal shows they just seem to think that if they don't get anything the one time they go it doesn't exist. An some of their ways of going about it was a little stupid at time but all in all it was a good series.
edit on 5-6-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

top topics

join