It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by KnawLick

Originally posted by rhinoceros
reply to post by NoJoker13

To me a creationist is a person who denies the obvious fact of all life on Earth having evolved from a common ancestor. I know there are also other kinds of creationists, who believe that it was all planned, but no super natural interference occurred since at least the big bang. I have no problem with the latter kind. It's only the people who deny obvious facts (e.g. calling into question the fact of evolution) that I feel very sorry for..

So let me get this straight. If you believe lightning struck a puddle of amino acids and few million years later here I am, that makes you smart. But if you believe that life can't spawntanously combust and it's likely there was some creative forces behind it, your an idiot?

ZERO scientist know how life was created, its an open mystery. And there are plenty of questions on why a species that is relatively brand new, homo sapiens, developed far and away more intelligence than others. Birds for example are related to dinosaurs and were here millions of years before humans. Now if evolution depends on beneficial mutations, it seems unlikely that species that were here for millions of years longer than us, facing the same natural forces, are not even close to our intelligence.

Evolution may not be wrong but it doesn't explain how monkeys were picking there butts one 10,000 years and the next they were forming religions and developing agriculture. What's more likely a monkey woke up one day and designed MySpace or humans are just an anomaly, special.

they say billions of monkeys typing for billions years would accidentally write the bible which is the only source for creationism that these poll participants are basing thier belief in creationism on

infinite monkey theorem
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 6-6-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

So let me get this straight. If you believe lightning struck a puddle of amino acids and few million years later here I am, that makes you smart. But if you believe that life can't spawntanously combust and it's likely there was some creative forces behind it, your an idiot?

I'm pretty sure amino acids had nothing to do with the beginning of life on Earth. It was strictly RNA business. This was about 4 billion years ago, which is about 1000-times more years ago than your "a few million years ago". Ps. I also don't believe in spontaneous combustion. However, that has nothing to do with abiogenesis.

ZERO scientist know how life was created, its an open mystery. And there are plenty of questions on why a species that is relatively brand new, homo sapiens, developed far and away more intelligence than others. Birds for example are related to dinosaurs and were here millions of years before humans. Now if evolution depends on beneficial mutations, it seems unlikely that species that were here for millions of years longer than us, facing the same natural forces, are not even close to our intelligence.

Here you make the great mistake of assuming that evolution aims to make intelligent species. It doesn't.

If only you creationists would at least bother to learn the basics of the theory you deny. I feel so sad for you. Such close minded behavior..

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Evolution is a theory. It is a hypothesis that has very strong and significant support from observation and testing.

Creationism is a story told by imaginative and superstitious people. It has no scientific support outside of the cloudy minds of the deluded who profess that some regional flood long ago proves that the Earth was created by Jesus' father, who I guess came to Earth and raped Mary in her sleep. I suppose the argument can be made that since the bible speaks of Babylon and Rome that it must be entirely accurate because there was really a Babylon and Rome.

Now I guess scientific evidence will be put forth supporting immaculate conception.

Creationism is not a theory! It is a wet dream.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Evolution may not be wrong but it doesn't explain how monkeys were picking there butts one 10,000 years and the next they were forming religions and developing agriculture. What's more likely a monkey woke up one day and designed MySpace or humans are just an anomaly, special.

It simply boils down to;

Go with the side with some evidence OR go with the side purely faith no no evidence

Go with side that is discovering things and trying to understand how this works OR go with side that says they have an absolute answer.

Go with side that is willing to modify answers upon discovering new things OR the side that is stubborn and does not want to change its ways

If you are going against Science and discovery what you actually saying is "i don't want to understand things, i like given instruction that i will follow without questions and anybody who doesn't do that is my enemy"

All science is doing is taking the magic out of things and some people rather live in a magical world.

Lightning was wrath of god before it was explained by science.
Earthquake was wrath of god before it was explained by science.
We were the center of the universe before it was explain by science.
Life was produced magically before it was explained by science.. oh wait, we still arguing that!

Meh the list can go on...

Science is about learning and understanding, not making absolute rules, its always open to change.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

There is a vast difference between peacefully believing in a supreme being, God, etc.. and believing in one, killing in it's name, subjecting millions of people to it's tyrannical teachings.

I think you'll find that most atheists actually don't truly care what others believe as long as they do it with the same mutual respect which it dictates.

Religion is far, FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR, from being respectful. It is fascist and despotic.

T

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erectus
Evolution is a theory. It is a hypothesis that has very strong and significant support from observation and testing.

Creationism is a story told by imaginative and superstitious people. It has no scientific support outside of the cloudy minds of the deluded who profess that some regional flood long ago proves that the Earth was created by Jesus' father, who I guess came to Earth and raped Mary in her sleep. I suppose the argument can be made that since the bible speaks of Babylon and Rome that it must be entirely accurate because there was really a Babylon and Rome.

Now I guess scientific evidence will be put forth supporting immaculate conception.

Creationism is not a theory! It is a wet dream.

Lmao, Mary is a smart, poor moses he believed that god impregnated her.

Today on Maury.. "who is Jesus' real dad!?.. find out after these commercial break"

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Ok, so you picked a side. Great. Can we move on now or do you wish to continue to change everyone's opinion?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by torqpoc
reply to post by Lionhearte

There is a vast difference between peacefully believing in a supreme being, God, etc.. and believing in one, killing in it's name, subjecting millions of people to it's tyrannical teachings.

I think you'll find that most atheists actually don't truly care what others believe as long as they do it with the same mutual respect which it dictates.

Religion is far, FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR, from being respectful. It is fascist and despotic.

T

Last I checked no one is forcing you to join a church. So wait? Are you saying that Stalin didn't force people not to believe in God? Last I checked if you believed in any religion you ended up with a bullet in the face under Soviet rule.
edit on 6-6-2012 by Covertblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack

um....
this is a forum
you are being critical of LD because he posted?
we wouldn't want to change your opinion
LOL

lets get away from the jerry springer bunch and the typing monkeys for a second

Why almost all scientists believe in evolution:
It is impossible to prove that the theory of evolution is absolutely true. The theory maintains that plant evolution, animal evolution and the major geological changes to the earth unfolded over billions of years. Thus, the full theory cannot be demonstrated in the laboratory. Processes like the rise of mountains and erosion are simply too slow to be observed during one person's lifetime. Elements of the theory (e.g. species evolution of fruit flies in the laboratory and of Tilapia fish in East African lakes) have been observed. But nobody was on hand to observe what the world and its life forms looked like hundreds of millions of years ago.

However, sufficient evidence exists in support of evolution to convince 99.85% of America's earth and life scientists that the theory is valid. Evolution is the key unifying theory that unifies many different branches of science, from cosmology to biology.
www.religioustolerance.org...

99,85 ..there marxist?...ha!
lets go with democracy....looks like creationism is going to be the opposition party for a long long time

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Ok, so you picked a side. Great. Can we move on now or do you wish to continue to change everyone's opinion?

Im not changing anyone opinion, but do not try to project religious views on everyday decisions and shunting the growth of facts with fairy tales while claiming that the fairy tail is a fact.

All im saying is keep fairy tails(faith) away from facts and stop comparing like its worth something in the real world decisions.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

how dare you interfere with the creationists trying to force school boards to teach defensless school children to be confused by non factual delusions like creationism...( to the extent the courts have had to shut them down)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Well we could all keep beating this mulched horse forever if you wish. People have different opinions, doesn't make them evil, or stupid, or whatever label you wish to attached to it. I'm not going to try and change your mind by regurgitating information, nor would I want to because I am sure you are smart enough to figure out works for you.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

see my recent above post please
thats the problem: adults are tough to con
children
not so much
edit on 6-6-2012 by Danbones because: give us a child till he is seven and he is ours for life...muahahahahaha...jesuit maxim

link   
It always disturbs me that some 'scientist' claims that we 'evolved' from essentially some 'soup' that was the beginning of life. That to me is absurd that the 'spark' of life transitioned from inanimate to animate by ....what a static discharge or bolt of lightning...... This presumption is so ludicrous as to be laughable. By this theory, and it is only a theory, not even demonstrable, all life arose? I'd bet this idea came into favor sometime in the early 1900's or after electricity was becoming a common commodity. Frankensteinish on origin.

Beyond ATS being a battleground for evolutionists and creationists, atheists, and Creator believers, evolutionists opinions do little to hide the absurdities of evolution. If the 'soup' evolved over millions or billions of years, explain the gender part, the RH blood types, DNA and mitochondrial influence.

Those who remain smug in their non-belief, will remain smug and caustic to others who do not share their views. and those who believe in Creation will steadfast hold their beliefs. Conversions on either side of the fence is unlikely beyond overwhelming proof being presented to Prove one side or the other. Even then some will dismiss any proof presented by virtue of their upbringing and taught precepts.
Believers in a Supreme being (by whatever name) will continue believing and disregard those who attack them. Yet even the Dalai Lama once said "dont be a dick"
Never the less, the world is amply populated with those of that persuasion.

link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Im not changing anyone opinion, but do not try to project religious views on everyday decisions and shunting the growth of facts with fairy tales while claiming that the fairy tail is a fact.

All im saying is keep fairy tails(faith) away from facts and stop comparing like its worth something in the real world decisions.

It can be worth decisions in your everyday life, such as helping other people etc. To me anyway it holds value. I won't ever tell you what to believe, as I said you are smart enough to figure out what and how you want to live your life. Want to be an atheist? That is fine, your choice and your life.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
That 46% must be scary enough to make a post that would fuel hate.
If that other 54% manages to find their own Hitler to lead the charge and make us their scapegoat, then you better believe we'll give you something to be scared about.

You'll regret criminalizing us then.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
reply to post by Covertblack

see my recent above post please
thats the problem: adults are tough to con
children
not so much
edit on 6-6-2012 by Danbones because: give us a child till he is seven and he is ours for life...muahahahahaha...jesuit maxim

The child will eventually grow up as we all did and make their own choices. Look at how well the DARE program for drugs worked out. You can try and tell kids how to live their life all ya want but eventually they will choose their own path. I do not think they are brainwashed.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Plotus

Those who remain smug in their non-belief, will remain smug and caustic to others

stay away from the children with my tax dollars with your creationism

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Science is full of fairy tales, how do you think we've advanced so far? (sci-fi)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

It can be worth decisions in your everyday life, such as helping other people etc. To me anyway it holds value. I won't ever tell you what to believe, as I said you are smart enough to figure out what and how you want to live your life. Want to be an atheist? That is fine, your choice and your life.

Wow, another who believes "morality comes from religion".. seriously??? is that how much brainwashed you are?

a book taught you how to be moral and help others? without a book or instruction, you would not help?

are you a robot?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join