It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

This isnt even your thread . You have hijacked it to push your deluded beliefs onto other people .
Seems you had nothing to say , but you are still saying it.

Grow up , dude.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by HamrHeed

See?
"Get off my lawn, kid?"
Sigh.
I'm not a kid. I'm a professor.
Now, are you not capable of explaining your point to me?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Religion should be personal and should not get involved in issues concerning other people, country or decision.

We must think with what we know into order to advance, not blind faith and fairy tales. Bring some proof to the table then we will discuss.

To those who say "oh i agree with natural selection" "oh i agree with micro evolution".... "but screw evolutions, that's just not true" seriously?

its the same as "I love technology, light bulbs are amazing, they glow, i love the computer, it gives me information and let me do lots of things... but i don't like this electricity crap you speak of... you have a proof for that?"

Theory of Evolutions contains all types of changes, including natural selection. Micro evolution/Natural selection. These are something we could seen in our lifetime.. major changes(which could be caused by natural selection or accumulated micro evolution and other changes) takes much longer and we could not observe that in real time, but only thru fossils.

Maybe if scientist wasn't slaughtered 2000-3000 yrs ago for bringing out ideas about this world, we may have advanced in this field and have better evidence and proof in our arsenals.

Religion belongs in the religion class, where everything, including Zeus from Greek mythology, Odin from Norse mythology, Allah from Islam mythology, Jesus from Christian mythology and Shiva from Hindu mythology should share equal share and should be told "THIS IS NOT FACTS BUT STORIES, take it however you want" if you get offended, gtf out of the class.

wth is THEORY OF Creationism? your theory stops there, just at the word theory, it can't be tested or done anything with it. You cannot compare Theory of Evolution with "Theory" of Creationism because they both are different and one offers much more evidence to the point its recognized as Facts.
edit on 6/6/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
So in reality then, 46% of Americans that were asked think this. Where was the survey carried out? If it was bible belt areas then i would expect this (or similar).

Surveys like this are usually misleading, in one way or another.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
46% sounds a little high to me but that may just be wishful thinking.

This will be one of those issues that takes a long time for people to reconcile with their beliefs. In time I hope people find the balance between spirit and science, there is room for both. Evolution is science and Evolution a theory (you know, like gravity is a theory) and religion is parable. Personally I've never had a problem with the science, it is what it is and it is a pretty cool theory too. I've had many more issues with organized religion though, still I try not to hold it against them...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CodyOutlaw

See?
"Get off my lawn, kid?"
Sigh.
I'm not a kid. I'm a professor.
Now, are you not capable of explaining your point to me?

There was nothing to explain to you. And you think I will respect you because of that? Why did you ignore the other insults? Because you're mad. At me.
So go cry somewhere else

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
neither are proven, but one involves and imaginary man in the sky with magical powers...

who buys that ?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

I don't require your respect, just the acknowledgement that
I'm not an ill-educated kid to kick off your lawn.
I worked hard to get where I am.
Fair enough, yes?
Now:
Do I seem mad and crying?
Or do I seem calm?
I think I seem calm.
But, you don't seem very calm.
I didn't ignore the other insults.
I merely chose to take yours up with you because, gosh, you seem so angry.
And within all that vitriol, I could not discern a salient viewpoint.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by HumanCondition

46% of the US has a serious social mental illness.

For believing in something, seriously dude who gives a flying
? ATS is nothing but a website full of threads of nothing but smart ass comments from people who think they know everything. It's very pathetic.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by blackcube

Just because someone believes in "creationist" views doesn't mean they have a belief in MAINSTREAM religion. Many hold true to the possibility that we were put here by a alien race, this is a creationist stand point just like any other. I think people find it hard to believe that this universe simply made itself, for that reason many think there is something else to life and a grand master who created it all. Whatever the case I don't think you can simply lump everyone into certain categories that believe this stuff, it's not so black and white anymore

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnprince

This isnt even your thread . You have hijacked it to push your deluded beliefs onto other people .
Seems you had nothing to say , but you are still saying it.

Grow up , dude.

where is the mention of a poll or evolution in you post..

oh
there isn't any

The level of support for evolution among scientists, the public and other groups is a topic that frequently arises in the creation-evolution controversy and touches on educational, religious, philosophical, scientific and political issues. The subject is primarily contentious in the United States. However, it is also important in other countries where creationists advocate the teaching of creationism as a valid alternative to evolution, or portray the modern evolutionary synthesis as an inadequate scientific paradigm.

While an overwhelming majority of the scientific community accepts evolution as the dominant scientific theory of biological origin,[1][2] creationists have asserted that there is a significant scientific controversy and disagreement over the validity of evolution.[3][4][5]

The Discovery Institute, a pro–intelligent design lobby group located in the United States, also claims that because there is a significant lack of public support for evolution, that public schools should, as their campaign states, "Teach the Controversy". Nearly every scientific society, representing hundreds of thousands of scientists, has issued official statements disputing this claim[2] and a petition supporting the teaching of evolutionary biology was endorsed by 72 US Nobel Prize winners.[6] Additionally, US courts have ruled in favor of teaching evolution in science classrooms, and against teaching creationism, in numerous cases such as Edwards v. Aguillard, Hendren v. Campbell, McLean v. Arkansas and Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District.

Creationists have had some successes in the political realm in the US and other countries.[7][8][9][10][11][12] There is widespread belief in creationism in the Muslim world,[13] South Africa, India,[14] South Korea and Brazil, with smaller followings in Israel,[15] Australia,[16] New Zealand,[17] and Canada.[18] The most prominent organization behind this movement has been the Discovery Institute, the driving force behind the intelligent design movement. Through its Center for Science and Culture, the Institute conducts a number of related public relations and lobbying campaigns aimed at influencing the public and policy makers in order to advance its position in academia, which it claims is dogmatic and hidebound.

Many claims in the creation-evolution controversy rest on whether or not evolution is genuinely disputed by those in scientific circles, the public's acceptance of the theory of evolution and religious and educational organizations and both sides of the dispute exhibit interest in evaluating the level of popular and scientific support for evolution. Several publications discuss the subject,[19][20] including a document produced by the United States National Academy of Sciences.[21]
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 6-6-2012 by Danbones because: added link and quote

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by HamrHeed

GO TO SCHOOL AGAIN MUSLIM/ MARXIST

where is the mention in this post of evolution or a poll or a link?
I don't believe in fairytales like creationism and I believe that people who do are delusional

you sure proved that with this post
the delusional part at least
since i am neither a Muslim nor a Marxist

jerry springer people shouldn't be allowed to vote or hold public office or get permission for airsoft

This poll was conducted November 18-21, 2004.)

Americans do not believe that humans evolved, and the vast majority says that even if they evolved, God guided the process. Just 13 percent say that God was not involved. But most would not substitute the teaching of creationism for the teaching of evolution in public schools.

Support for evolution is more heavily concentrated among those with more education and among those who attend religious services rarely or not at all.

There are also differences between voters who supported Kerry and those who supported Bush: 47 percent of John Kerry's voters think God created humans as they are now, compared with 67 percent of Bush voters.

www.cbsnews.com...
*sigh*

back to school to teach I guess
edit on 6-6-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

So through your vast wealth of knowledge could you explain to us why you don't believe in creationism, with an intelligent non-derogatory post? It may be a challenge I know but it's possible it really is.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
So let me get this straight. If you believe lightning struck a puddle of amino acids and few million years later here I am, that makes you smart. But if you believe that life can't spawntanously combust and it's likely there was some creative forces behind it, your an idiot?

ZERO scientist know how life was created, its an open mystery. And there are plenty of questions on why a species that is relatively brand new, homo sapiens, developed far and away more intelligence than others. Birds for example are related to dinosaurs and were here millions of years before humans. Now if evolution depends on beneficial mutations, it seems unlikely that species that were here for millions of years longer than us, facing the same natural forces, are not even close to our intelligence.

Evolution may not be wrong but it doesn't explain how monkeys were picking there butts one 10,000 years and the next they were forming religions and developing agriculture. What's more likely a monkey woke up one day and designed MySpace or humans are just an anomaly, special.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

To me a creationist is a person who denies the obvious fact of all life on Earth having evolved from a common ancestor. I know there are also other kinds of creationists, who believe that it was all planned, but no super natural interference occurred since at least the big bang. I have no problem with the latter kind. It's only the people who deny obvious facts (e.g. calling into question the fact of evolution) that I feel very sorry for..

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

So through your vast wealth of knowledge could you explain to us why you don't believe in creationism, with an intelligent non-derogatory post? It may be a challenge I know but it's possible it really is.

so you are saying jerry springer people who believe in creationism is a derogatory term?
your beef is with them then, not with me

if you didn't notice the references I have already posted
sorry can't help you
edit on 6-6-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Where the hell are the moderators? Geezus.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros
reply to post by NoJoker13

To me a creationist is a person who denies the obvious fact of all life on Earth having evolved from a common ancestor. I know there are also other kinds of creationists, who believe that it was all planned, but no super natural interference occurred since at least the big bang. I have no problem with the latter kind. It's only the people who deny obvious facts (e.g. calling into question the fact of evolution) that I feel very sorry for..

So let me get this straight. If you believe lightning struck a puddle of amino acids and few million years later here I am, that makes you smart. But if you believe that life can't spawntanously combust and it's likely there was some creative forces behind it, your an idiot?

ZERO scientist know how life was created, its an open mystery. And there are plenty of questions on why a species that is relatively brand new, homo sapiens, developed far and away more intelligence than others. Birds for example are related to dinosaurs and were here millions of years before humans. Now if evolution depends on beneficial mutations, it seems unlikely that species that were here for millions of years longer than us, facing the same natural forces, are not even close to our intelligence.

Evolution may not be wrong but it doesn't explain how monkeys were picking there butts one 10,000 years and the next they were forming religions and developing agriculture. What's more likely a monkey woke up one day and designed MySpace or humans are just an anomaly, special.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TylerKing

Where the hell are the moderators? Geezus.

they may be leaving them up on purpose
they are so enlightening...and telling

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
So if some of you had your way you would force people to believe in what you do? Wow. I don't care what the *&(* you believe in, nor would I judge you for believing so. Continue to try and label people who don't believe what you do as mentally ill, cool choice.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join