It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte

Originally posted by CodyOutlaw
reply to post by Lionhearte

But, what of the polytheistic flood myth that preceeded the biblical account?
Atrahasis?

It actually came about 1400 years after the flood.

What about the Epic Of Gilgamesh? The stories are strikingly similar and the Epic is typically seen as predating the Flood story by a very small amount of time. Are they the same story that have become different over time? Or are they two stories, created then as we read them now- describing different religious beliefs?
edit on 6/6/2012 by wisefoolishness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by theconspirator
It seems like everyone on here loves ron paul and the idea of liberty and freedom, but if you hear about someone beleiving in god, that goes out the window, and you all talk about how its dumb to beleive in that stuff. If someone beleives in god, why are you butt hurt. Why does it matter if religion is their freedom.

Your post doesn't make sense. Since when does liberty and freedom go out the window when people voice their opinions? Non-theist have just as much the right to criticize the religious as religious do to spread their messages of faith.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcube
I am scared for my fellow humans... I am just wondering when the Inquisition will come back

Well, when that happens, we can analyze polls like this more thoroughly. Until then, I don't see the relevance of concerning yourself with the beliefs of others unless you're interested in social engineering. Likewise with those of the opposite bent.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
But the whole thing falls apart when Paul comes into the picture,

Just curious, but why do you say that?

Second line.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

OK...You just took First Place in my on going list of THE MOST STUPID POST! YEAH! Bells Ringing! Confetti Drops!

If you want to believe in your Religion or have Faith or whatever...that is your right...but when something THIS STUPID is said...I believe you should be acknowledged!

First thing to point out...EVOLUTION stopped being a theory when we started Gene Splicing. Second...after mapping the entire Human Genome as well as many, many other creatures, plants, etc...we found one thing that proved we all...all animals, plants, Humans...came from an ORIGINAL SINGLE CELLED ORGANISM...this was proved by finding an ANCIENT VIRAL DNA ENCODING in every species we have mapped their Genome in entirety...and this is many.

You see...a Virus is not a living organism...but it has DNA. A Virus infected the Original Single Celled Animal that all life on Earth Evolved from...and a Virus although not alive...fools a cell into believing it is food or nutrients then once inside...uses the cells own raw material to replicate to the point the cell BURSTS OPEN thus making it easier for the new Virus' to infect other cells. The thing is...not every one of the Original Single Celled Animals which reproduce by Mitosis...died...some did not die and divided by Mitosis thus adding the Viral DNA into their DNA...so as they continued to reproduce...the new Single Celled Organisms were resistant to the Virus as well as carrying the Virus DNA encoding along with their own.

Much of our Human DNA is dormant Viral Encoding that is a record of all the Viral infections that have been passed on. The proof here is that there is ONE ORIGINAL VIRAL ENCODING that exists in all LIFE ON EARTH. THIS IS PROOF POSITIVE THAT WE EVOLVED FROM A SINGLE CELLED ORGANISM.

Oh...and by the way...Humans and Great Apes shared a common ancestor but we did not interbreed. Humankind has been on Earth in one form or another for close to 5 Million Years. We are Homo Sapiens our closest ancestors which were around about 60,000 years ago were Cro Magnon...and despite a bit of interbreeding between Cro Magnon and Neanderthal...a dead End of Human Development....YOU WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN A POLICE LINE UP BETWEEN 6 HOMO SAPIENS AND 1 CRO MAGNON. Cro Magnom looked almost identical to us and besides having a slightly overall taller and more muscular apearance...they became US! They even had a slightly larger brain.

So...CONGRATULATIONS! You are the NEW CHAMP! Split Infinity

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
God Hex the USA

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by blackcube

I highly doubt that that number is truly representative of the number of people that hold creationist views.
Actually I would say the number is much lower.

A large chunk of people don't hold any religious views, and then again a large portion of religious people incorporate evolution in to their religions.

If there is a rise in the number of people doubting science it is because the media (and just about everyone with an agenda) has been using "scientists say" as a default catch all for credibility and anyone can find a "scientist" willing to agree, permitting that "scientist/top scientist says" description, for money.

Honestly what people are losing their faith in is media it is just having effects in other areas.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

*IF* the maker exists, as in the one I believe in, then you have to assume a few more things - first, that Satan exists, and secondly, that free will exists.

This is where we jump the tracks, I'm afraid. Jesus' exhortations to "love one another" and to "try not to be so judgmental" make perfect sense to me. But the whole thing falls apart when Paul comes into the picture, and that's just the way I feel. YEARS of parochial school and a picture of a starving African baby taught me to trust that feeling.

I want to be absolutely clear: I will admit to a strongly belief or passion for the existence of "a maker," but I am not prepared to concede the rest of the characters in the Christian milieu and rogues gallery. It's great songwriting, and makes for wonderful drama, but the concept of a god that might -- through omnipotent omniscience -- create an entire universe and allow for the devil anyway due to "free-will" is, well -- as ludicrous as a psychic fair derailed by unforeseen emergency events. It doesn't add up for me.

That doesn't make the core concepts I mentioned above untrue, but the particulars? Not so much.
edit on 6-6-2012 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

Don't allow the teachings of men to be superior to the Holy Spirit's teaching through scripture. For example, if you believe man's teaching that states that "Gentiles" are non-Israelites, then you will forever never understand Paul.
If you wan't to believe that Jesus was stating to the crowd ready to stone the adulteress that they had no right to ever judge their fellow Judean, then you'll never understand that He was stating that they were incapable of passing judgement because they themselves were guilty of the same sin. You will then never understand Paul's exhortation to be sinless so that you would be capable to judge others in the coming resurrection. Do you not know that the Sons of God will judge even angels? Do you not know that one filled with the Holy Spirit is a witness to others rejection of salvation and their deeds? The dying words of both Jesus and Stephen were "Father, please forgive them....".

Perhaps it's man-made church doctrines that form your basis of beliefs, instead of what scripture actually states. The church is filled with millions who don't open scripture nor question God about what they hear, and therefore, they are easily led astray. God never changed, He is the same from the first page of Genesis to the last page of Revelation. The fact is, Jesus said that our neighbour was the one who stopped to show mercy to the man that had been robbed - the false gospel says that our neighbours are everyone including the two priests that walked by without helping. The false gospel message says that love equals tolerance, the true gospel message is that God is love - both just and merciful - who still demands that we don't mix 'linen and wool' - righteousness and unrighteousness. The false gospel message states that Satan is a wild-card independent of God, scripture makes clear that God uses him to strengthen and chasten those who are in Christ for their benefit and to accomplish God's will.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I believe in a creator and evolution. I don't understand why the two ideas are not compatible. I don't want to be associated with either side. Both sides can't think for themselves. One follows religion and the other follows well... religion (science).

Funny part is the science guys are so smug as if they know everything. I always say, well, were you there to witness the experiment? No... well then so you're just believing some dude telling you that this is how it goes? Ok... so how is this any different than religion?

Science can be a good thing, don't get me wrong, it's just that now science has turned into a religion. Everyday there's something new. What was good yesterday is bad today which tells me that they're just as clueless as they were to begin with.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness
What about the Epic Of Gilgamesh? The stories are strikingly similar and the Epic is typically seen as predating the Flood story by a very small amount of time. Are they the same story that have become different over time? Or are they two stories, created then as we read them now- describing different religious beliefs?

First off, anything I say is my opinion/theory/what have you. I'm not claiming to know it all and could be dead wrong, any of us could be. None of us were there, basically.

Anyways. The Bible says Noah lived to be 950 years old, and so he lived 350 years after the flood. What I think happened, is that after they began repopulating the world, and had children, eventually those children would ask "why are we the only people here?" - and then they tell them what happened, the account of the flood. Mind you, that only 8 people were witnesses to this event, Noah, his wife, his two sons, and his sons' wives (they weren't their sisters, calm down - they were married before the flood).

Now, these 8 people would tell the story of what happened to the next generation, and then the next generation, and the next, and the next, and the next - eventually the story went on so much, it very much was like the "telephone" game. Noah's great, great, great, great, great grand kids would have heard about the flood - and they probably even met Noah, as he lived 350 years after the flood.

However, after people migrated and moved out across all the land (the land masses would have been connected, not like Pangea, but as it is in today's world, but with reduced water levels - lower the water by about 1000 feet and all the land masses connect), yet when Peleg was born - the Bible says the "Earth was divided" - Peleg itself means "division" - that could mean two things - one, that the languages were diversified, ala Tower of Babel, OR..

There was a mini-ice age after the flood, lasting for about 200-300 years. When Peleg was born, is when the ice caps were melting and filling up the oceans with more water. The "earth was divided" could be that the land was separated, and this would have given enough time for people and animals to get to their current locations today. From there, they would tell the stories to their kids, about what had happened, and this would change and be in different languages, etc, but the meat and potatoes of it would be the same - destruction by water.

So, basically, this all would have occurred at about the same time - the flood "myth" stuff, that is. The writer of the Epic of Gilgamesh could have written it after the flood, or prior - as the flood was warned about for 120 years until it actually came.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
God Hex the USA

I suppose if I was living in Ohio...I would be Pissed of Too! LOL!

Just out of curiosity...why are you so pissed off about the U.S? Split Infinity

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Good luck with your holocaust, suckers

You tried to change it from "thou shall not murder" to "thou shall not kill"

We know about you, just as we know you burned true christians at the stake in rome

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Actually...there is some scientific evidence to the flood at that time and it that area...The Med and the Black Sea were at one time separated by land and you could not pass through the channel between what is Modern day Turkey and whatever the other Country is between Bulgaria and the pass...they are changing too fast for me to keep up.

There was a massive Landslide and th Med and the Black Sea connected destroying everything in their path.

Now just because this DID HAPPEN does not mean it effected the Whole Planet and even if all the Polar Ice both North and South along with Greenlands Ice sheet melted...it would not be enough to cover the Earth. Plus...it is a Scientific Possibility for two of each creature to either have enough room on the arch nor could just two...one male and one female have enough Genetic Diversity to repopulate the planet. The interbreeding amoung siblings would cause sterility as well as birth defects....BUT IT WAS A NICE STORY and I have never heard a Kid say different.

You see...there were other long running populations and civilizations that were on different parts of the Globe that existed during this time. They kept records too...very good and acurate records which shows that at this time...there were other Civilizations that existed that did not go through a flood...but as I said...there is sound scientific evidence that a great flood occured...just not one large enough to cover the planet. Split Infinity

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
Now just because this DID HAPPEN does not mean it effected the Whole Planet and even if all the Polar Ice both North and South along with Greenlands Ice sheet melted...it would not be enough to cover the Earth.

I agree, which is why the Bible states in Genesis 7:11 -

In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep were broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

So, springs of water from subterranean water chambers (which do, indeed, exist) and heavy rainfall.. everywhere. Kent Hovind portrays a nice explanation for how this would have occurred in his Creation Seminar video, here:

Plus...it is a Scientific Possibility for two of each creature to either have enough room on the arch nor could just two...one male and one female have enough Genetic Diversity to repopulate the planet. The interbreeding amoung siblings would cause sterility as well as birth defects....BUT IT WAS A NICE STORY and I have never heard a Kid say different.

I assume you mean "scientific IMpossibility", because this doesn't make sense unless you were agreeing with me? Besides, is it really that hard to believe that all kinds, wolves/coyotes/canines all came from two canines from the Ark?

I mean, for Heaven's sake, Evolutionists think they all came from rocks!

You see...there were other long running populations and civilizations that were on different parts of the Globe that existed during this time. They kept records too...very good and acurate records which shows that at this time...there were other Civilizations that existed that did not go through a flood...but as I said...there is sound scientific evidence that a great flood occured...just not one large enough to cover the planet. Split Infinity
Records.. such as?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88
I believe in a creator and evolution. I don't understand why the two ideas are not compatible. I don't want to be associated with either side. Both sides can't think for themselves. One follows religion and the other follows well... religion (science).

Alot of people get their publicity or make money from its conflict. Books titled 'God vs. Science' sell more than 'Principles of Genetics', sadly. The dichotomy is false and mostly political.

"It is wrong to hold creation and evolution as mutually exclusive alternatives. I am a creationist and an evolutionist. Evolution is God’s, or Nature’s method of creation. Creation is not an event that happened in 4004 BC; it is a process that began some 10 billion years ago and is still under way."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

First...I believe in a persons right of belief and their chosen Religion.

Second...we are on a board which encourages debate and although I respect your Religious Beliefs...I would ask you not to discount FACTS.

FACT...Humans have existed on Planet Earth in one form or another for close to 5 Million Years.
FACT...Evolution stopped being a theory a while back and we use genetics every day and have a very good grasp of how all life on this Planet Evolved with some specific Found Viral DNA encoding that proves that all life Evolved form a Single Celled Organism or Animal.
FACT...By recreating the enviromental conditions that existed Billions of years ago...GENESIS...the act of Life Evolving from Lifelessness...has been reproduced in multiple lab conditions. But in order for the Scientific Method to Prove this was not tainted via improper controls...the act of GENESIS must be repeated more than once and even if that is achieved must be verified...this takes awhile but within 12 to 20 months...verification will take place.
FACT...a VIRUS is not ALIVE yet it has DNA...thus it shows us a stepping stone from Lifeless Aminoacids existed as a Molecular Compound yet have DNA just like all LIFE...the Two Men who Won the Nobel Prize in VIROLOGY won this award in the Nobel Prize for CHEMISTRY not BIOLOGY.
FACT...Civilizations on the Asian Continent especially in China and Japan have Records that predate BIBLICAL ASSUMPTION of how old the EARTH is and all the BEGETS in the listing of the first People of the Bible.
FACT...The KING JAMES BIBLE IS LOADED WITH MISTRANSLATIONS...one of the most famous and admitted by not only the VATICAN but also many other Christian Religious Leadership Sects including BAPTISTS, LUTHERAN...ETC...HAVE ALL ADMITTED to the mistanslation of the original text that MOSES DID NOT PART THE RED SEA...HE AND HIS FOLLOWERS CROSSED THE REED SEA....a Marshy Tidal Area near the Med at the top Northern part of the Red Sea.Moses crossed at low tied and as the Egyptian Army followed later as the tide rushed in and swamped their Chariots. Digs in this region have uncovered many Chariots and when the Vatican as well as all the other Christian Sects were asked why they have not changed the Bible back to it's original Text...the answer was that this had been the story for so long they did not want to confuse the faithful.
FACT...EASTER...was the Christian Attempt to change a Pagan Fertility Holiday of Spring known as the Festival of ESTER...and this is how you get baskets of Grass and Rabbits and Eggs and Chicks as as a celebration...the Pagans took baskets filled with fresh Spring Grass and placed items that represented Fertility...Bunnies, Chicks, Eggs, and none of this had anything to do with Jesus. The same process was used for the Winter Solstace as Pagans used to Decorate Trees with ornaments and candles although CHRISTMAS was not approved by the church until just a century or so ago. These are all FACTS. I do not believe it interferes with your beliefs in GOD...but a Fact is a Fact. Split Infinity

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

reply to post by steve1709

EDIT: Sorry to barge in, I was reading in order again. =/

Be fair man, he already said he had no problem with micro-evolution. It's one thing to go off on someone whose story keeps changing, but he has been consistent in his beliefs in this regard.
edit on 5-6-2012 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2012 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

must have been in the part where I decided to stop reading the drivvel (cant spell it but the word seem to fit) so now we have NORMAL evolution and MICRO evolution. Sheesh this get weirder every minute. OK I'll still go with my giant toaster belief. Prove that it isn't there! Go on, debate me, I dare ya. (that sounds pretty childish hey - Especially when there are comment like "god changed the virus. Forget who poted it, but I guess that mean god changed some viruses as we get over them to something that will wipe other people out. What a loving, caring god - that dogma is about as good as say ..... a flying toaster. Anyone for jam and tea?) - tried to fix some spelling mistakes (my s sometimes doesnt work)
edit on 6/6/12 by steve1709 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by blackcube

Many Muslims reject evolution and creationism and follows a belief of adamic descent, i.e. all humans come from Adam. therefore there are many religious muslim countries that teach in schools and believe that all human life came from Adam.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte

Originally posted by HumanCondition
46% of the US has a serious social mental illness.

Translation-

46% of the US is retarded, and I am more intelligent then those 143 million people.

To the rest of you- Evolution is a theory and has NOT been observed, never, ever, ever. It has never been proven, and it is not science.

Debate me, I challenge you. Any claim, any question, any attack- I accept all.

Do you know what tolerance is?
no I guess you don't or you wouldn't have written the above.
That's where over few generations a creature like a cockroach when exposed to a pesticide, EVOLVES an immunity to it
If you think you are going to argue that isnt the case you are done before you start

I guess it can be said that MERSA exists in american hospitals (which is a disease that has evolved to be unaffected by cleaning chemicals) because god put it there, but that would be just kookoo.
it evolved.

Pesticide Resistance:

It has the menacing sound of an Alfred Hitchcock movie: Millions of rats aren't even getting sick from pesticide doses that once killed them. In one county in England, these "super rats" have built up such resistance to certain toxins that they can consume five times as much poison as rats in other counties before dying. From insect larvae that keep munching on pesticide-laden cotton in the U.S. to head lice that won't wash out of children's hair, pests are slowly developing genetic shields that enable them to survive whatever poisons humans give them. ....

The chemical arsenal we have developed in an attempt to rid our homes of rodents and our crops of insects is losing its power. We have simply caused pest populations to evolve, unintentionally applying artificial selection in the form of pesticides. Individuals with a higher tolerance for our poisons survive and breed, and soon resistant individuals outnumber the ones we can control.

www.pbs.org...
To make the claim you made above in the face of the OBVIOUS is one reason people think christians are INSANE

So unless you have some kind of proof that cockroaches and rats don't evolve resistance to pesticides which you don't because they do, I suggest you please don't waste any time with your polite acknowledgement of reality.

Here is some free legal advice for you
:

According to the Mansfield NewsJournal, John Freshwater, the Mount Vernon teacher fired for teaching creationism has lost his appeal....
.....The ruling said the referee set aside the Tesla coil incident, considering that case closed, but found multiple incidents where Freshwater repeatedly violated the Constitution, acted in defiance of orders by his superiors and failed to employ objectivity in his teaching of a variety of science subjects

www.pbs.org...

( I think he should get the death penalty for child abuse)

The Institute for Creation Research suffered a significant legal defeat in its lawsuit over the Texas Higher Education Coordination Board’s 2008 decision to deny the ICR’s request for a state certificate of authority to offer a master’s degree in science education from its graduate school. A June 18, 2010, ruling in the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas found (PDF, p. 38) that “ICRGS [the Institute for Creation Research Graduate School] has not put forth evidence sufficient to raise a genuine issue of material fact with respect to any claim it brings. Thus, Defendants are entitled to summary judgment on the totality of ICRGS’s claims against them in this lawsuit.”
skepticalteacher.wordpress.com... cience/

Rodney LeVake has again failed in his effort to argue that he had free exercise, free speech, and due process rights to teach "evidence against evolution". On May 8, 2001, the Minnesota Appeals Court supported the summary judgment dismissal decision of the Minnesota District Court of last year (see RNCSE 2000; 20 [1-2]: 13-14).

Regarding the free exercise of religion claim, the Appeals Court wrote:
It is unclear on what basis LeVake argues that his right to free exercise of religion was violated. LeVake does not contend that respondents prohibited him from practicing the religion of his choice. He does not assert that respondents demanded that he refrain from practicing his religion outside of the scope of his duties as a public school teacher in order to retain his teaching position, and he does not assert that the curriculum requirements incidentally infringed on his religious practice.
ncse.com...
edit on 6-6-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2012 by Danbones because: spelling, fixed quote boxes

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Im continuing the quote here because of charachter count, and on acount of even though creationists won't do the reality of it...other people might

Regarding the free speech argument, the Court supported the right of the district to determine curriculum, a position supported with abundant case law:
The classroom is a "marketplace of ideas," and academic freedom should be safeguarded. But LeVake, in his role as a public school teacher rather than as a private citizen, wanted to discuss the criticisms of evolution. LeVake's position paper established that he does not believe the theory of evolution is credible. Further, LeVake's proposed method of teaching evolution is in direct conflict with respondents' curriculum requirements. Accordingly, the established curriculum and LeVake's responsibility as a public school teacher to teach evolution in the manner prescribed by the curriculum overrides his First Amendment rights as a public citizen.

Regarding the due process claim, the Court wrote:
The school board may regulate a teacher's speech in the classroom if it has provided the teacher with specific notice of what conduct is prohibited. LeVake's due process claim is premised on his belief that respondents deprived him of his liberty interest to teach his class free "from state action which impinges upon and violated his constitutional rights to free speech and free exercise" by failing to provide him with adequate notice of what types of expression were prohibited before reassigning him. The cases LeVake relies on in making this argument involve the termination of teachers, but LeVake was not terminated. In fact, he was not even demoted. Further, before accepting the position to teach tenth-grade biology, LeVake understood that respondents' prescribed curriculum included teaching students about evolution. LeVake was given sufficient notice about what he could and could not teach through the established curriculum and the syllabus. [Citations omitted.]
Concluding the decision, the Court wrote:
Because LeVake's position paper and his statement to Hubert make it clear that LeVake would not teach the required course curriculum in the manner established by the school board, LeVake has not presented any genuine issue of material fact regarding his free exercise, free speech, and due process claims. Thus, the district court did not err in granting respondents' motion for summary judgment.
For the complete text of the decision, see www.lawlibrary.state.mn.us...>.
‹ RNCSE 20 (5)upCreationism and the Emergence of Animals: The Original Spin ›.

ncse.com...

attempting to infect children with insanity should at least carry life with no parol in a rubber room...

edit on 6-6-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join