It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I got a hypothetical questions,
and think about it before answering.

So if tomorrow there was something that proved to me without a dough 100% that evolution was real. I think it would morally bug me, but I would except it and move be ok with it. That's me being honest.

So, pretend this happen, and as an atheist what you would think if a creationist proved 100% without a dough God was real?

(personal curiosity question)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperFrog

Hope for Life after Death, Love, Moral Goodness, all these are concepts which transcend Science and you cannot properly grasp them without Faith.

Really, so I as atheist can not love or be moral or those other common sense concepts?? Ouch!

As for life after death, check my signature...

Don't get me started on faith and moral.

i did not say you cannot have some perception of these things... but you cannot properly grasp them without Faith that they are established by a higher being.

For instance what if a child molestor claims that he loves the child he is molesting? Who are you to tell him that he is wrong about his concept of Love?

I claim he is wrong because God defines what Love is and God has established a moral code. Where would you derive the authority to tell the child molestor that his idea of Love is in fact not love but rather evil and hurtful?

Without God society supposedly governs what is "acceptable" and not acceptable... but cannot establish right from wrong. What if the Child molestor is a More Evolved Human who understands Love better then you do?

What reference do we have for right and wrong if we are all just following evolved chemical impulses?

Soul

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs

Originally posted by SoulReaper
Faith is a powerful conduit toward higher knowledge.

Interested in knowing more about this, you should start a thread about the kinds of Higher Knowledge that can be attained through Faith.

Really?

You can't understand that by Faith you can accept the Revelations of God to man regarding his actions in our past, present, and future?

You can't understand that Faith allows you to embrace knowledge regarding the future of man and the future of each individual after Death?

You can't understand that Faith allows man to recieve knowledge from God about matters of the Soul and the Spirit world that we cannot possibly attain in any other manner?

Faith is a powerful conduit to higher truths... though it must be utilized with the utmost wisdom, else it will lead to ones destruction.

Soul

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Barcs

you are indeed ignorant if you do not understand the purpose behind Forcing Evolutionary thought to be taught in our high schools and colleges.

If you have not read the major evolutionary proponants, scientist, philosophers ect then I suppose you could be so misguided.

there are orginizations specifically formed to push Evolutionary teaching in schools for the express purpose of Keeping any talk of God and his work of Creation out of the schools.

Again just because you personally might not have this vendetta... you are blind and ignorant to deny its presence in society.

Soul

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Interested in knowing more about this, you should start a thread about the kinds of Higher Knowledge that can be attained through Faith.

Really?

You can't understand that by Faith you can accept the Revelations of God to man regarding his actions in our past, present, and future?

You can't understand that Faith allows you to embrace knowledge regarding the future of man and the future of each individual after Death?

You can't understand that Faith allows man to recieve knowledge from God about matters of the Soul and the Spirit world that we cannot possibly attain in any other manner?

Faith is a powerful conduit to higher truths... though it must be utilized with the utmost wisdom, else it will lead to ones destruction.

Soul

As I said, I would like to read more about this in another thread. Why don't you make one and we can discuss it there?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
A Frog + A magic Wand = A Prince
This is known as a fairy tale

A Frog + 200,000,000 years = A Prince
This is known as Evolution.

I can have a little fun with you guys can't I?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tbrooks76

Because superstition is counterproductive to human progress.

Nah...
besides its not superstition to people that believe in it, and everybody believes in something.
Religion as done both allot bad things, yet allot good things too. no matter what happens some forum of religion will always be around.

It doesn't matter if it is superstition to the people that believe in it.

Superstition is a defined word.

Belief is not under attack. Superstitious belief is.

Superstitious belief hasn't done much in the way of good for anyone.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tbrooks76
I'm a Christian, I don't think being an atheist or agnostic makes you a bad immoral person.

Unless you believe into every single God humans around the world believe in, then you're 99.9% atheist. Some of us just show disbelief towards all Gods, and are thus 100% atheists.
edit on 7-6-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulReaper

For instance what if a child molestor claims that he loves the child he is molesting? Who are you to tell him that he is wrong about his concept of Love?

I claim he is wrong because God defines what Love is and God has established a moral code. Where would you derive the authority to tell the child molestor that his idea of Love is in fact not love but rather evil and hurtful?

How about common sense?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Really?

Soul

As I said, I would like to read more about this in another thread. Why don't you make one and we can discuss it there?

Nothing more needs to be said... it isn't that complex of a concept... My three year old understands Faith to some degree and benefits from it.

Of course Faith can be misplaced and in that instance it is detrimental.

But Faith is primarily useful to help one Trust in a future event.
For example
A christian trusts that Christ will mediate on his behalf before God on Judgement Day.
My Daughter trusts that when she jumps of the edge of the pool that I'm going to catch her.

It is belief in something that has either not been Seen or has not yet happened. Faith is a critical and crucial aspect of human relationships both with each other and with God.

Soul

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I claim he is wrong because God defines what Love is and God has established a moral code.

How well do you know your holy book? You do understand that the Bible supports slavery, killing of women who fail to be virgins on their wedding night, stoning to death of unfaithful, etc. Some morals this God of the Bible established, huh?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Oh, so molesting children is wrong because God defined what Love is, not because molesting children stunts emotional growth in the children and can lead into turning those children into abusive individuals themselves?

I see now.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by SoulReaper

How about common sense?

His common sense and chemical impulses tell him different. where do you get off telling him that he is WRONG?

You have no answer to this... World views absent of God are also completely morally Bankrupt... Without God, Society is simply governed by Mob rule and what the "majority" decides is or is not acceptable. There is no Moral Foundation to build society off of. We are all just part of the animal kindom right? why don't we just act like animals then?

Soul

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

We are all just part of the animal kindom right? why don't we just act like animals then?

We're not the only herd animals with a pecking order. Clearly in our case natural selection favored individuals who were willing to play by the rules of the group (those who didn't were probably killed or exiled).

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Oh, so molesting children is wrong because God defined what Love is, not because molesting children stunts emotional growth in the children and can lead into turning those children into abusive individuals themselves?

I see now.

Survival of the fittest right?

the child is the weaker of the species....

Why does the Child have any right to a good healthy life? the child is just a souless meaningless animal. Devoid of Value... just a chemical spec in the universe.

Where do you get off placing value on the Child or his or her quality of Life?

The Child Molestor sees that Child as useful to fulfill his "loving" impluses. Who are you to tell him that the Child is worthy of more then that?

Where do you get the authority to tell him different?

Soul

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

Again I've seen the research but until I see the actual chromosome count, I'm still skeptical that Neanderthal's played a major role in human evolution, opposed to a minor one.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros

We are all just part of the animal kindom right? why don't we just act like animals then?

We're not the only herd animals with a pecking order. Clearly in our case natural selection favored individuals who were willing to play by the rules of the group (those who didn't were probably killed or exiled).

Disregardless of how Society came to the place that it has...

Without God there is no moral argument to govern human behavior.

You can make an argument about what is supposedly Best for society as a whole... But this again is just mob Rule through Force.

Hitler decided that Society was Better off without the Jews because they didn't fit into his game plan.

Who are we to tell him that he was Wrong? The only thing stopping him was a stronger opposing force in society at the time...

But that opposing force isn't always there... see what Stalin did to his own people in Russia.

None of the horrible acts of genocide can be classifed as wrong without borrowing a Moral Code from Theology.

Those people were just trying to Further Evolution of the species by thinning out the herd so to speak.

You have no Moral ground to tell them that they are wrong... Human Life is devoid of Value if we are all just running on advanced chemical systems and impulses. Why would it be wrong to kill a "useless" human but not to kill a animal to eat?

Soul
edit on 7-6-2012 by SoulReaper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I see now.

Survival of the fittest right?

the child is the weaker of the species....

Why does the Child have any right to a good healthy life? the child is just a souless meaningless animal. Devoid of Value... just a chemical spec in the universe.

Where do you get off placing value on the Child or his or her quality of Life?

The Child Molestor sees that Child as useful to fulfill his "loving" impluses. Who are you to tell him that the Child is worthy of more then that?

Where do you get the authority to tell him different?

Soul

I tell him what I feel is right because it is how I am, and I do not need to bow to a "God" for my moral compass.

Funny you should mention child molesters. Certainly there aren't any child molesters doing "God's work", eh?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Without God there is no moral argument to govern human behavior.

Do a bit of reading.

It will be good for you.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
that means that 46% of Americans must be idiots

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join