It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
reply to post by ElohimJD

i find it facinating that you call evolution a "theory" even though there are tangible (checked using humans 5 senses) facts. and yet you do not call the belief in "GOD" a theory, where nothing can be proven with any of the 5 senses....so "GOD" cannot ever be proven with any facts, and you have to wait until you die (how convienent) to know if it's the truth or a lie.
this is why there is no debating a religous person, because to them there is nothing to debate, they just end the discussion with the statement "i have faith, therefore i'm correct and you're not"

I understand your position on this and you are meant to feel this way at this time.

It is not a theory to me because it has been proven to me; in me. The indwelling of God's spirit in my mind and the means He has worked with me to mold and fashion my way of thinking into unity with His is the proof of God's existance. This is personal however and can never been forced, understood or projected upon another human being. I understand this and therefore I respect your belief in all things in life. It is the purpose of this age.

This is not the age where mankind is meant to grasp the ways of God as a whole, but the time is coming very soon.

This will be one heck of a year, and by next Pentecost mankind will know the God of creation and His purpose for it.

God Bless,

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by blackcube

Evolution is just a theory man, no more proof to that than the stories a man had sex with a monkey and created HIV. Fossil records indicate that all life originated round about the same time.

They don't. The vid your linked to is an exercise in demagoguery. All it takes is looking at a piece of limestone (or even marble in some cases) to see that the remains of the ancient creatures embedded there are not mixed with skeletons of modern fish or birds or whatever. You don't even need to read any books, just use your eyes and common sense (if there is any left).

Dr.Veith also seems to be willfully ignorant of methods that are used to determine relative age of geological layers.

I'm not saying that the theory of evolution is necessarily complete or precise in all cases, but same applies to all of science. It will be refined as we gain new knowledge. As to creationism, this is pure quackery.

You may skip to 3:40 if you don't have time to watch it all:

edit on 6-6-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Makes sense to me.

When you don't offer a valid argument against it, people hold on to what they do have.

Be honest with yourselves....what have you done to PROVE them wrong?

I don't see that anyone has actually presented anything that can challenge the beliefs of Americans.

what I have seen is an endless stream of personal attacks and insults. this tactic just isn't going to cut it.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Quite a statistic, not just for the obvious reason that so many people evidently prefer cultural myth and superstition over science and facts. The US seems out on its own among developed first world nations in its extreme religiosity. It also appears to be correspondingly out on its own among first world nations re societal ill health. Basically, it appears that the more religious a society is, the sicker it is. Though whether religion is a cause or a symptom of a maladjusted society isn't yet clear, they are definitely linked.

The article in the first link addresses the rejection of evolution in the US due to religious fundamentalism (creationism) from the point of view of a scientist. It is based mostly on the study by Paul (2009). It is also noted that there is a positive correlation between income inequality and religiosity, with the inference that the wealthy gain "the motive and the means to disseminate religion more widely throughout their societies," as a means urging conformity and quelling discontent..... Who'd of thought...?

To quote the last paragraph of his conclusion which seem odd for a couple of reasons. For one it proposes the "weakening" of religion, as some sort of goal on the path to having evolution more accepted....Secondly (less surprisingly), it proposes that from observations based on other, more secular countries, that as societies become more egalitarian and caring, religion naturally wanes...

"Creationism in America, then, may be a symptom of religion, but religion in the modern world may itself be a symptom of unhealthy societies. Ultimately, the best strategy to make Americans more receptive to evolution might require loosening the grip of religion on our country. This may sound not only invidious but untenable, yet data from other countries suggest that such secularism is possible and, indeed, is increasing in the United States at this moment. But weakening religion may itself require other, more profound changes: creating a society that is more just, more caring, more egalitarian. Regardless of how you feel about religion, that is surely a goal most of us can endorse."

onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

www.epjournal.net...

edit on 6-6-2012 by Cogito, Ergo Sum because: for the heck of it.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This might explain some things. I find these poll results far more disturbing.
More Than 9 in 10 Americans Continue to Believe in God

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
46%!!!!!!!????? No wonder we have a bunch of dumbass mother#ers running around here! I gotta get out of this human farm!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Given that there is ZERO objective evidence for that belief...that's scary indeed.

On the upside, I bet that number was a lot higher just 100 years ago

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13
reply to post by Barcs

Then would you outline who we evolved from I'd enjoy that clarification.

Homo habilis and homo heidelbergensis. It depends where in the chain you are looking, we obviously haven't found every single human ancestor, but we've found well over a dozen. Start with Ardi 5-6 million years ago and work your way forward, it's not that difficult to follow the time line.
edit on 6-6-2012 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tbrooks76

Originally posted by voiceoreason
Bwa ha ha ha ha.

You all don't seriously think that 46 percent of Americans hold creationist beliefs; do you?

Has anyone that believes this gone to any of the major population centers of the USA recently?

I can believe that 46 percent of the rural areas of the US do.

I live in Houston Tx, I work as senor Electrical Designer for an Engineering Firm. ( they paid me to correct engineers..lol)....and I believe in creation.
I posted this on another thread, but I works here too…

The truth is with the way our universe is constructed there is only one of two way it could have happen. Everything is energy, including matter being made of energy, with that said the only real question is how did the energy get here…. One of two ways..

A. It just was always here with no begin or end and our universe is in a constant state of changing. No big bang or anything, it's just always been.
B. Or it had a beginning in which something outside this universe put everything in motion. (a.k.a GOD)

That’s really your only two options. Personally I like “B”. And believe it or not, The big bang theory is a “B” option but without explaining what started the universe in motion, they pick up seconds after that explosion of energy without saying what the outside influence was that started everything. The big bang theory doesn't explain what cause the explosion and even it leave room for a creator to have caused it.

edit on 6-6-2012 by Tbrooks76 because: (no reason given)

Soooooooo, since there isn't yet an explanation for A it must be B?
Or to put it another way, since you don't understand A which may be proven eventually then you'll go for the simpler B which is impossible to prove or disprove?
Your logic is very illogical.
And worrying.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Evolution is just a theory man
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Just a theory as in it is a scientific observable fact. Nothing to do with the type of day to day "theory" that you are thinking off.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Evolution is a theory and has NOT been observed, never, ever, ever. It has never been proven
reply to post by Lionhearte

La la la la I can't hear you! La la la.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Creation and evolution are both just theories, based on two completely irreconsiliable sets of evidence. Yet still, just theory.
reply to post by Osiris1953

Creationists need to be banned from this "Deny Ignorance" website. It is social trolling.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morg234

Creation and evolution are both just theories, based on two completely irreconsiliable sets of evidence. Yet still, just theory.
reply to post by Osiris1953

Creationists need to be banned from this "Deny Ignorance" website. It is social trolling.

I wonder if they would be as confident to jump out a 12th floor window, to test the "just a theory" of gravity?

edit on 6-6-2012 by Cogito, Ergo Sum because: for the heck of it.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I'm an evolutionary Christian mystic, and a true believer in the sent calling of Jesus Christ to reflect the truth of God's love, and for me, this is disturbing to consider.

It also sets up Christianity for a fall, which is even more disturbing, that something so prescious and valuable, could be so easily reduced by the stupidity of the masses.

Very sad.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cogito, Ergo Sum

I wonder if they would be just as confident to jump out a 12th floor window, to test the just a theory of gravity?

It's not gravity, it's intelligent falling.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by HamrHeed

As I said, you have some nerve posting that and putting your face up beside it. There is definately something in the brew so to speak.
COREXIT= blood sea?

When I saw the "fiery mountain" that used to be the drilling platform, and the red oil slicks that thought did come to mind. I think that prophecy might be for something larger though, because "1/3 of all the ships and 1/3 of all the creatures in the sea" were destroyed. That didn't happen in the Gulf.

As far as putting my face and name to what I publish, that is my job; and my duty. I'm not afraid. I'm a Christian, and I count on the Lord's protection.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

And it's that 46% that vote and somewhat determine the direction this country takes. Protestant Churches are usually very conservative and tell their parishioners to vote for a particular candidate and they do. Anyone that thinks their is a separation of church and state is delusional.

ok moron, apparently you are not aware what the separation of church and state means, where it comes from and what it as an idea (not a law, an idea of one of the founders) is meant to do.

the separation of church and state is an idea and it is one way, meaning that the state cannot influence the church or respect the establishment of a single church that is foisted on the people.

It does NOT mean that church cannot influence government.

Aside from that, the only thing I have seen the churches ask for in regards to evolution is that the lies about evolution cease and the indoctrination OF those lies cease.

I am personally not of a mind to accept creationism; however, I KNOW that what they teach in school about evolution is absolutely untrue. They do not teach it as a theory any more. They do not teach the real evidence behind it, they teach contrived bull#e that doesn't come anywhere close to the truth.

Jaden

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Catholics don't believe in creationism. The Vatican supports the theory of evolution, stating that it is divinely inspired, not spontaneous.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barcs

I wonder if they would be just as confident to jump out a 12th floor window, to test the just a theory of gravity?

Good point. That would be the "theory" of intelligent falling.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barcs

The theory of gravity is NOT the theory of whether gravity exists or not, when you try to use this to parallel the theory of evolution, you showcase your lack of intelligent, logical thought.

The theory of gravity is an attempt to explain the observed phenomena of gravity, not to theorize its existence.

The theory of evolution is an attempt to theorize the origin of life and is not based on observable phenomena except in the most removed sense...

So please stop showcasing your lack of intelligence by comparing apples and oranges please because the theory of gravity and its cause has some major holes in it as well that requires almost as much circular logic and contrived formulae as the theory of evolution does.

Jaden

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join