It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Bwa ha ha ha ha.

You all don't seriously think that 46 percent of Americans hold creationist beliefs; do you?

Has anyone that believes this gone to any of the major population centers of the USA recently?

I can believe that 46 percent of the rural areas of the US do.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Amadeo

Haahahahaha brilliant.

2nd line.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubPop79
Damn, I'm so tired of these debates. Science may not be 100% accurate all the time, but REALLY, how can someone believe something written in a book over 2000 years ago? Do they also believe as those 2000 years ago did, that it rains because gates in the sky open and that stars are stuck in the atmosphere? Is the Earth still flat? Clearly these people's thinking and observations were flawed, so how can people still think humans just materialized out of nowhere?

Why, when we speak of religion and creationism, is it always BIBLE based? Ever notice how these debates are ALWAYS Christianity vs Evolution. Why do other religions accept Evolution, or at least denounce creation myths much more easily than Christians?

There has got to be something in the fact that many people simply don't think about things. Hell, maybe creationism is right. I mean, it is so hard to believe we evolved a brain when there are so many people who refuse to use theirs.
edit on 6-6-2012 by SubPop79 because: (no reason given)

What was written in this is something everyone should read but i doubt they would just skip over it cause either it makes too much sense or contradict their believes.

Its funny you mention different religions "accept" evolution but Christianity doesn't. i remember reading about it, Hinduism accept both Creation and Evolution(avatars of Vishnu), Buddhism(branch off Hinduism) also accepts(it never said life was created) that if enough prove is given, it will change. why do Abrahamic religion s being stubborn?

Here is the avatars of Vishnu, his order of appearance. Fish > Tortoise > Boar > Dwarf > Berserker(like) > Human > some highly advance human.

I also liked this part;

The Hindu religion is the only one of the world's great faiths dedicated to the idea that the Cosmos itself undergoes an immense, indeed an infinite, number of deaths and rebirths. It is the only religion in which time scales correspond to those of modern scientific cosmology. Its cycles run from our ordinary day and night to a day and night of Brahma, 8.64 billion years long, longer than the age of the Earth or the Sun and about half the time since the Big Bang.[7]

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
What baffles my mind is that why would any Christian want to spend eternity with the genocidal angry maniac described by the Bible. If I had a choice, I'd much rather hang out with the guy who led the resistance movement against God's tyranny. He sounds like a much nicer character..

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

since there does exist historical evidence for a flood, the Biblical account is indeed true. If it is indeed true, the one who saved Noah through the Ark is the true God, and that is very significant in my opinion.

I wrote a story about a flood. Floods are really scary! Lots of people died, and some got away. So.....is my story true?

There have been MANY floods in MANY places over the billions of years that Earth had been here. There have been two devastating floods -- just in the area where I live! -- in the past 20 years....whole towns wiped out. Gone. People drowned.
Katrina was a flood.

Now, imagine a closely knit community, with limited outside influence, and one guy said "I think there's going to be a flood. Get the animals and get on board this boat." Bible-proponents seem to fail to recognize that their precious tale is a recorded ancestral memory, written by a small group of people in an early society largely unaware of the other parallel (or more advanced) societies beyond their horizon.

What today's Bible-proponents fail to realize is that antiquated records of historical "crises" does not = global truth. It was written by the Jews, for the Jews. Why does it apply to all of humanity? If the Israelites want to believe this is their ancestors' local ancient history, in what we call the Middle East.... fine!

But extending that legend, those laws and 'prophecies' to the entire planet's population, and expecting people 2000 years later to take it as granted truth...for EVERYONE...is a bit, well.....

pushy. And unrealistic.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Just wondering whether there's any geographical demographic data for this.
Is there a split between the bible belt and elsewhere or is it evenly spread?
Certainly all of the religious Americans I know do not believe in creationism and see Genesis in the bible as a way of explaining how we came to be to people a few thousand years ago but definitely not as factual.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by voiceoreason
Bwa ha ha ha ha.

You all don't seriously think that 46 percent of Americans hold creationist beliefs; do you?

Has anyone that believes this gone to any of the major population centers of the USA recently?

I can believe that 46 percent of the rural areas of the US do.

I live in Houston Tx, I work as senor Electrical Designer for an Engineering Firm. ( they paid me to correct engineers..lol)....and I believe in creation.
I posted this on another thread, but I works here too…

The truth is with the way our universe is constructed there is only one of two way it could have happen. Everything is energy, including matter being made of energy, with that said the only real question is how did the energy get here…. One of two ways..

A. It just was always here with no begin or end and our universe is in a constant state of changing. No big bang or anything, it's just always been.
B. Or it had a beginning in which something outside this universe put everything in motion. (a.k.a GOD)

That’s really your only two options. Personally I like “B”. And believe it or not, The big bang theory is a “B” option but without explaining what started the universe in motion, they pick up seconds after that explosion of energy without saying what the outside influence was that started everything. The big bang theory doesn't explain what cause the explosion and even it leave room for a creator to have caused it.

edit on 6-6-2012 by Tbrooks76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Christianity doesn't except evolution because they forgot to put it in the book, Just like they flip-flopped on the alien's may exist agenda, they'll also probably flip-fop on this as well. Also speaking of religion what of the Sumerian myth that we were constructed by ET's to mine precious minerals, that's actually a creationism story that baffles me, how could basic man come up with such an epic, out of this world story?.... odd to say the least.
edit on 6-6-2012 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wagnificent

Originally posted by Erectus
It is a fact that 1 in 2 adults never reach the final stage of cognitive development. They are incapable of reaching original conclusions. Instead they believe what their trusted institutions tell them. Such institutions include family, government, and church. This is not a belief, but is, unlike some things, empirically supported (that means there is actually evidence). This is a fine example of what is wrong with this nation. Half the population can't even think for themselves.

Is science not an institution as well? Smithsonian Institute, anyone? Original conclusions have problems in science as well. Worshiping empiricism is just as dogmatic as creationist beliefs. You can identify most dogmatists because they have that holier-than-thou attitude:

"No one's search for truth is right except mine!"

But the very nature of science subjects everything the "institution of science" claims to the test. It happens every day that a scientist goes to work. Are you suggesting that the half of all people who can't think for themselves tend to be scientists, while creationists and the religious sort are more likely to be abstract thinkers? Because that runs counter to research. Those who have problems forming original opinions are generally of lower IQ. Low IQ is generally not synonymous with scientists.

Low IQ tends to be synonymous with people who think that a massive flood engulfed every piece of earth around 4,000 years ago.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tbrooks76
A. It just was always here with no begin or end and our universe is in a constant state of changing. No big bang or anything, it's just always been.
B. Or it had a beginning in which something outside this universe put everything in motion. (a.k.a GOD)

That’s really your only two options.

Not really. The answer to B doesn't need to be God. According to the M-theory, the Universe is but one "bubble" in a Multiverse, and the Big Bang but the result of the collision of two branes. So it could for example be that the existence of the Multiverse is eternal, but our Universe has a finite lifespan..
edit on 6-6-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
If there is a God, mankind is in trouble - we need to find out who He is and what He wants, because He's in control.

What if we find out who she is, and she says "You're specks of dust on a rock. Death is the end. Deal with it."?

Originally posted by Lionhearte
If there ISN'T a God, mankind is in trouble - we're specs of dust on a rock, hurtling through space at 68,000 miles an hour, and no one is in control.

Why would you have a hard time dealing with that? Are you prone to stress? Do you need someone other than you and and the rest of humanity to be "in control"?

edit on 6-6-2012 by gentledissident because: it's spelled "speck"

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Tbrooks76
[more

I can admit a possibility of intelligent design. I can't admit that the bible or christianity is some record of it or holy keeper of that intelligences' wisdom.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tbrooks76

Option B is still "turtles all the way down".

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Tbrooks76

Your missing any number of several recent hypotheses. My favorite (because it's fun to visualize) is that our "big bang" wasn't a bang at all, but a permutation from another universe, pouring into the void between universes, through a crack or tear in the fabric of the multiverse. It is theorized that new universes are formed in this way all the time. Having no beginning, it also has no "end."

And even this hypotheses, borrowed without shame from membrane theory, doesn't presuppose or deny the relative existence or non-existence of a maker.

Maybe our religions are too small?

Maybe we should avoid pigeon-holing our minds in any one belief structure or system, but instead, adopt 2 or 3 each, and let them guide us with as little prejudice as possible?

Mine would probably be Christian (gnostic?) / Membrane / Taoist. *chuckle*
edit on 6-6-2012 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
It's amazing how Christians can shut down the concept of evolution at such rapid speeds.

Narrow-minded people who shut themselves off to anything that doesn't comply to their religion, their bible, have trouble seeing things as they truly are. They look to things outside of themselves for protection and reassurance instead of gaining strength from within themselves.

By the way, I'm just trying to get this out there...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
(Monday, June 11th - Attempt to set the new record for most members logged into ATS in one day)
We can do it!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
I feel sorry for anyone that feels they are "more intelligent" than someone because they believe in evolution. You can tell the difference between someone who follows through with the evolutionary theory because they're critical thinkers, and the other people who "say" the believe it because they never dared question their teacher/professor lest they be ridiculed in front of the class, etc. In other words, coerced. Creationism/religion has this problem also, obviously, but I get bent out of shape whenever the militant "evolutionists" call themselves more enlightened/intelligent/tolerant. etc.

The sad part is, whether you believe in evolution or "creationism" as it were, it makes not a bit of difference to how successful or intelligent you are, nor does it say how well you interact with others. If you're just some stupid, militant bastard that stereotypes, and does nothing short of spit in the face of other people whenever they challenge you.... then well, maybe there is way more to the "people are apes" thing than people realize. . . .

Most militant evolutionists tend to be brats, and they are not people you want to be around, in my experience.
Most militant creationists are conservative Christians, or Catholics.. and you generally don't want to be around them either. Basically anyone that makes a "big deal" out of secondary subjects, or their "beliefs" usually at the expense of the people around them. Completely lacking courtesy or the precious humanity they so claim to uphold.

The rest of the folks are what I would like to call, "normal". They realize it's wholly none of their business whether someone believes they evolved from apes or came from the spaghetti monster in the sky. They also realize it's not a yardstick from which to measure someone's worth or character, unless said person is "militant" and incendiary of course. These are the real intelligent people. You know, people that go on with their lives and devote their time to matters of real worth and value.

Brilliant and perfectly phrased. Thank you for saying it all so clearly.

God Bless,

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13
reply to post by luciddream

Christianity doesn't except evolution because they forgot to put it in the book, Just like they flip-flopped on the alien's may exist agenda, they'll also probably flip-fop on this as well. Also speaking of religion what of the Sumerian myth that we were constructed by ET's to mine precious minerals, that's actually a creationism story that baffles me, how could basic man come up with such an epic, out of this world story?.... odd to say the least.
edit on 6-6-2012 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

Well, the Bible sort of says similary, as it says that God created Man because "there was no-one to till the earth".
In other words, Man was created as a worker.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightchild
God created Man because "there was no-one to till the earth".
In other words, Man was created as a worker.

It was so easy to mess with the slaves minds back then. "Because God commands it my child. Now get back to work."

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Nightchild

The Sumerian myth seems to gain a bit more steam after that 'revelation'. Interesting for sure.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join