It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erectus
It is a fact that 1 in 2 adults never reach the final stage of cognitive development. They are incapable of reaching original conclusions. Instead they believe what their trusted institutions tell them. Such institutions include family, government, and church. This is not a belief, but is, unlike some things, empirically supported (that means there is actually evidence). This is a fine example of what is wrong with this nation. Half the population can't even think for themselves.

Is science not an institution as well? Smithsonian Institute, anyone? Original conclusions have problems in science as well. Worshiping empiricism is just as dogmatic as creationist beliefs. You can identify most dogmatists because they have that holier-than-thou attitude:

"No one's search for truth is right except mine!"

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElohimJD
No it is still a theory, otherwise it would be the law of evolution.

A common misunderstanding. In science, a theory is more than a law. A law: something is, but we can't explain how. A theory: something is, and here's how. Evolution is both fact (a force of nature) and a theory (modern synthesis), which attempts to explain it.
edit on 6-6-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

For some reason, I find it highly unlikely that one's "own" truth just happens to be that a mentally unstable super-deity created beings in his own image who rebelled and were thus tainted forever and so he has to send his own son to die on a cross, then rise from the dead three days later and everyone lived happily ever after. I mean, that must have come from a book, which is not one's "own".

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcube
In a new pool by Gallup a new and scare info got out
In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins
www.gallup.com...

PRINCETON, NJ -- Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. The prevalence of this creationist view of the origin of humans is essentially unchanged from 30 years ago, when Gallup first asked the question. About a third of Americans believe that humans evolved, but with God's guidance; 15% say humans evolved, but that God had no part in the process

And in another news:

South Korea surrenders to creationist demands
Publishers set to remove examples of evolution from high-school textbooks.
www.nature.com...

Mention creationism, and many scientists think of the United States, where efforts to limit the teaching of evolution have made headway in a couple of states1. But the successes are modest compared with those in South Korea, where the anti-evolution sentiment seems to be winning its battle with mainstream science.

I am scared for my fellow humans... I am just wondering when the Inquisition will come back

edit on 5/6/12 by blackcube because: (no reason given)

Proving once again that there is no limit to how stupid one can become once they start receiving instructions from a "god".

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros

Originally posted by ElohimJD
No it is still a theory, otherwise it would be the law of evolution.

A common misunderstanding. In science, a theory is more than a law. A law: something is, but we can't explain how. A theory: something is, and here's how. Evolution is both fact (a force of nature) and a theory (modern synthesis), which attempts to explain it.

Yes...but this would imply that Creationists have basic reasoning skills and firm grasp of the grammatical rules of their native tongue.

You're giving them WAY too much credit.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tadeusz

For some reason, I find it highly unlikely that one's "own" truth just happens to be that a mentally unstable super-deity created beings in his own image who rebelled and were thus tainted forever and so he has to send his own son to die on a cross, then rise from the dead three days later and everyone lived happily ever after. I mean, that must have come from a book, which is not one's "own".

Right, the basic tenets come from previously written accounts. When you take several written accounts and put them together they begin to form an impression. From that, how you view happenings in your life, or speak to those who are dying, or walking up to a car you believe to be an ied about to blow you apart, you search for answers. Your own truth may have nothing to do with religion. If you have never felt a guiding hand than you will be an atheist and that will be your own truth.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Damn, I'm so tired of these debates. Science may not be 100% accurate all the time, but REALLY, how can someone believe something written in a book over 2000 years ago? Do they also believe as those 2000 years ago did, that it rains because gates in the sky open and that stars are stuck in the atmosphere? Is the Earth still flat? Clearly these people's thinking and observations were flawed, so how can people still think humans just materialized out of nowhere?

Why, when we speak of religion and creationism, is it always BIBLE based? Ever notice how these debates are ALWAYS Christianity vs Evolution. Why do other religions accept Evolution, or at least denounce creation myths much more easily than Christians?

There has got to be something in the fact that many people simply don't think about things. Hell, maybe creationism is right. I mean, it is so hard to believe we evolved a brain when there are so many people who refuse to use theirs.
edit on 6-6-2012 by SubPop79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubPop79
Damn, I'm so tired of these debates. Science may not be 100% accurate all the time, but REALLY, how can someone believe something written in a book over 2000 years ago?

It's not really their own fault. The vast majority of fundamentalists were brainwashed into their sects at a very young age. There's little hope for them as this brain damage is almost irreversible. If only religious indoctrination of children was recognized as child abuse, which it is, then perhaps one day we'd have a better world..

I believe in religious freedom, but fact is, that this freedom is robbed from these children. They didn't choose it, rather it was forced upon them by their community. It sickens me..

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wagnificent

Originally posted by Erectus
It is a fact that 1 in 2 adults never reach the final stage of cognitive development. They are incapable of reaching original conclusions. Instead they believe what their trusted institutions tell them. Such institutions include family, government, and church. This is not a belief, but is, unlike some things, empirically supported (that means there is actually evidence). This is a fine example of what is wrong with this nation. Half the population can't even think for themselves.

Is science not an institution as well? Smithsonian Institute, anyone? Original conclusions have problems in science as well. Worshiping empiricism is just as dogmatic as creationist beliefs. You can identify most dogmatists because they have that holier-than-thou attitude:

"No one's search for truth is right except mine!"

Wow. You're retort actually PROVED the hypothesis presented by Erectus that people being unable to properly think and form conclusions based upon observable reality is a major problem.

There is no "Truth" with a capital "T". There are only statements and facts which can be proven "true" or "not true".

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Damn, I'm so tired of these debates. Science may not be 100% accurate all the time, but REALLY, how can someone believe something written in a book over 2000 years ago?

It's not really their own fault. The vast majority of fundamentalists were brainwashed into their sect at a very young age. There's no hope for them. If only religious indoctrination of children was recognized as child abuse, which it is, then perhaps one day we'd have a better world..

It's about your own personal choices. I don't know if I apply to the brainwashing theory, as I stated before how the DARE program aimed to do just that without success. I know plenty of people who were raised with religion and have since become atheists. They are still good people, just changed their beliefs. A better world won't occur if religion goes away. Stalin and other leaders eradicated religion without much of an improvement in life quality.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Originally posted by HamrHeed

Originally posted by OldCorp

Originally posted by olaru12
reply to post by blackcube

And it's that 46% that vote and somewhat determine the direction this country takes. Protestant Churches are usually very conservative and tell their parishioners to vote for a particular candidate and they do. Anyone that thinks their is a separation of church and state is delusional.

You obviously don't know how separation of church and state works. The theory is supposed to keep the government from establishing a national religion; it has NOTHING to do with keeping the faithful out of the political process.

You truly believe in the divine father? And you are 50+ years old? How do you manage such a thing

You must have scars for every week.
edit on 6-6-2012 by HamrHeed because: (no reason given)

I do believe in Almighty God. I can't say whether I believe in "religion," as it has been given to both Catholics (and subsequently Protestants) because there is a LOT that has been left out of the Roman Catholic tradition that the early church believed in; but yes I do believe in a Supreme Being, and in Jesus Christ - and I was dragged into that belief kicking and screaming.

I was raised in a Christian home and went to a Christian school until 9th grade, so I was pretty well steeped in the Bible by the time I was 14. And then I started questioning what I'd been taught. For almost 30 years I was an unrepentant sinner, until I started studying prophecy. The chances that the prophecies in the Bible would be fulfilled exactly as they have been are nearly nonexistent.

Allow me to demonstrate with the first part of my interview with Pastor Gallups, in which we discuss the fulfillment of many prophecies, including the reestablishment of Israel and the Gog.Magog War - prophesied 2,500 years ago - that is unfolding on our TVs right now.

I implore you to take 15 minutes and educate yourself. These events could NOT have happened as a result of coincidence. Some Being, which resides outside of our space-time and can see events from the beginning to the end, gave this information to Bronze Age men and they wrote it down to warn us. There is no denying this. There is no way they could have accurately predicted this war; alone, they could hardy predict if it was going to rain that day. Some type of "supernatural" guidance must have been given to them.

As I said, you have some nerve posting that and putting your face up beside it. There is definately something in the brew so to speak.
COREXIT= blood sea?

There are so many things that are pawned off as coincidences. Ah well, the bible is fake according to most people. I guess I will just go with the flow and explain it away with other ideas to keep myself happy.
Because, I mean, it's not like there are bloodthirsty tyrants in this world.
Peace..

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack

It's not really their own fault. The vast majority of fundamentalists were brainwashed into their sect at a very young age. There's no hope for them. If only religious indoctrination of children was recognized as child abuse, which it is, then perhaps one day we'd have a better world..

It's about your own personal choices. I don't know if I apply to the brainwashing theory, as I stated before how the DARE program aimed to do just that without success. I know plenty of people who were raised with religion and have since become atheists. They are still good people, just changed their beliefs. A better world won't occur if religion goes away. Stalin and other leaders eradicated religion without much of an improvement in life quality.

There's nothing wrong with being raised with religion (I was too). However, in many cases a line is crossed as young children are indoctrinated to not question and to be very afraid of the angry God. Religion is fine. Fundamentalism is not. As an example, mainstream Christianity (including the Catholic church) acknowledges the fact of evolution. Nonetheless, they vaguely believe that God had some role in it. I'm fine with that..

It's funny how the fundamentalists make the same claim for evolution, that kids are indoctrinated to believe it. Oddly enough, I don't recall the teacher saying that I'd suffer for an eternity if I didn't believe it

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

It's not really their own fault. The vast majority of fundamentalists were brainwashed into their sects at a very young age. There's little hope for them as this brain damage is almost irreversible. If only religious indoctrination of children was recognized as child abuse, which it is, then perhaps one day we'd have a better world..

I believe in religious freedom, but fact is, that this freedom is robbed from these children. They didn't choose it, rather it was forced upon them by their community. It sickens me..

Good point. I have always felt compassionate to children who were abused by turning them into little "believers". I suppose...those little kids grow up to be damaged and disabled adults. I just wish there was a clinic or something that specialized in overcoming the addictions associated with superstitions.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

The whole beauty of science is that is is not 100% accurate -- this is where it parts ways with faith, faith has no method for changing or expanding - there can be no new facts or discoveries.

Faith based science was responsible for the dark ages - and the destruction of much valuable knowledge that took centuries to rediscover -- Thanks for that jesus.

Science builds on the shoulders of those who went before. New discoveries are made they are discussed amongst peers and rejected or accepted to be used as stepping stones for more discoveries. Edison came up with a way to make light -- he had no framework at all to envision making that light coherent and developing a laser (perhaps if it hadn't been for the dark ages, thank you jesus he might have invented the laser).

Additionally the evidence to a faith based idea must conform and support the "known fact" this way of thinking precludes growth.
edit on 6-6-2012 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Cults of personality such as those of Stalin, Niyazov and Kim do not constitute religious thinking?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

I agree, you do have extreme ends of the spectrum. When I have kids I will explain my views, and what I believe. I won't brainwash them into believing they will go to hell. Once they are old enough to make their own decision I will respect it and still love them no matter what they choose.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ElohimJD

i find it facinating that you call evolution a "theory" even though there are tangible (checked using humans 5 senses) facts. and yet you do not call the belief in "GOD" a theory, where nothing can be proven with any of the 5 senses....so "GOD" cannot ever be proven with any facts, and you have to wait until you die (how convienent) to know if it's the truth or a lie.
this is why there is no debating a religous person, because to them there is nothing to debate, they just end the discussion with the statement "i have faith, therefore i'm correct and you're not"

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tadeusz

Cults of personality such as those of Stalin, Niyazov and Kim do not constitute religious thinking?

You make a point, however it does not go into the supernatural realm of most religions.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I'll probably trick my kids into believing into Santa Claus. I was too. A little mystery is nice for kids. Also, I think it helps them to deal with questions about God later on in life. It's probably a rather efficient tool against excessive misbehaviour, with Santa's elves seeing everything and all that

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by RicoMarston

Because I need concrete PROOF to believe in the idea that humans "evolved" from a primate species, like I said in my other posts there's as much evidence to god being real as there is to us knowing where are genome is derived. My point being that many here just say, 'HEY YOUR WRONG', when their arguement is equally as foul. I cannot rule out intelligent design just like I can't rule out millions of years of evolution, that's my point, you came into the conversation late when clearly I'm pushing buttons because I offer my opinion and then I'm called ignorant. Clearly everyone here that believes humans and primates have a common ancestor, are at the moment just as ignorant as the people that believe in men on purple clouds in the sky.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join