It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by RicoMarston

Originally posted by Covertblack

Originally posted by rhinoceros

reply to post by rhinoceros

It is the continuous finding of transitional fossils. We keep finding small bits and pieces, and like to believe that a lower species evolved into us, but finding of the records had gaps last I heard.

What is a "lower species"?

Sorry for the poor wording. A less evolved species. At least as human beings concern ourselves as.

less evolved? where was it proven or even suggested that man is the "most evolved?" evolution, and life in general, is not a straight line of progress from 1 to 10. one species a long time ago branched off into two or more separate species and then died out as the new species continued to evolve. We probably came from a very low population species which was concentrated in one area. that would explain why it's so hard to find this missing link. but again, that term leads one to believe that it is a chain, link after link, from past to present. evolution moves in fits and starts, sometimes even backtracking on itself.

Why I said as human beings are concerned. As far as intelligence aren't we the most evolved?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

I shall pick up the book, thanks for the suggestion.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Sure! Trying to explain everything using a book. Has,nt this been tryed before?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
reply to post by blackcube

And it's that 46% that vote and somewhat determine the direction this country takes. Protestant Churches are usually very conservative and tell their parishioners to vote for a particular candidate and they do. Anyone that thinks their is a separation of church and state is delusional.

You obviously don't know how separation of church and state works. The theory is supposed to keep the government from establishing a national religion; it has NOTHING to do with keeping the faithful out of the political process.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

It is the continuous finding of transitional fossils. We keep finding small bits and pieces, and like to believe that a lower species evolved into us, but finding of the records had gaps last I heard.

What is a "lower species"?

Sorry for the poor wording. A less evolved species. At least as human beings concern ourselves as.

What is a "less evolved species"?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by EncompassAll
reply to post by OldCorp

Some of the best types of knowledge come from books; math, for instance - or GRAMMAR, SPELLING, and PUNCTUATION.

I'd bet even Richard Dawkins has written one or two. Would you share the same derision for his work just because it appeared on a printed page?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Originally posted by EncompassAll
reply to post by OldCorp

Some of the best types of knowledge come from books; math, for instance - or GRAMMAR, SPELLING, and PUNCTUATION.

I'd bet even Richard Dawkins has written one or two. Would you share the same derision for his work just because it appeared on a printed page?

In not knocking the method, im knocking the idea.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
Because those god believing people oppress and kill everyone else.

Unlike Stalin, Mao, et-al?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Originally posted by olaru12
reply to post by blackcube

And it's that 46% that vote and somewhat determine the direction this country takes. Protestant Churches are usually very conservative and tell their parishioners to vote for a particular candidate and they do. Anyone that thinks their is a separation of church and state is delusional.

You obviously don't know how separation of church and state works. The theory is supposed to keep the government from establishing a national religion; it has NOTHING to do with keeping the faithful out of the political process.

You truly believe in the divine father? And you are 50+ years old? How do you manage such a thing

You must have scars for every week.
edit on 6-6-2012 by HamrHeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Results for this USA Today/Gallup poll are based on telephone interviews conducted May 10-13, 2012, with a random sample of 1,012 adults, aged 18 and older, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the current population is 313,687,135. That test sampled only 1,012. USA Today most certainly called many more people than than that, and the only people that complete polls or surveys are the ones that want to. So, this poll, and virtually all polls and surveys, are by nature vastly inaccurate.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Once a species evolves it has since changed itself for the better, no? Thus holding an edge in being able to survive where as the others are eradicated out by natural selection.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Care to summarize the book? I agree that some observations of the Universe are very difficult to comprehend, e.g. order arising from chaos. Indeed such things could in theory even imply some form of intelligence behind the design. Nonetheless, under no circumstances does this kind of stuff support the existence of some personal superhero magic God like Allah, Shiva, or the angry genocide God of the Bible.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

reply to post by OldCorp

Care to summarize the book? I agree that some observations of the Universe are very difficult to comprehend, e.g. order arising from chaos. Indeed such things could in theory even imply some form of intelligence behind the design. Nonetheless, under no circumstances does this kind of stuff support the existence of some personal superhero magic God like Allah, Shiva, or the angry genocide God of the Bible.

Nope, it doesn't support it. Called faith which is the core of religion.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Once a species evolves it has since changed itself for the better, no? Thus holding an edge in being able to survive where as the others are eradicated out by natural selection.

Not necessarily. We breath, drink, and eat out of the same hole. That isn't the best design, as we often choke. That being said, if this whole debate is about the design of the human being, then I would say God and evolution both create flawed creatures.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SubPop79

Physically no, however intelligence was a good thing to posses.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Only the most suited to given environment continue the species, and thus over generations, by natural selection, the species becomes better adopted to its specific environment. This does not mean that it's better like you put it. Environments don't remain constant.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Barcs

Then would you outline who we evolved from I'd enjoy that clarification.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
If you want facts beyond what are being stated already you will have to go do your own research. You will need to review volumes of literature, study up on some thesis papers, and such. Nobody can lay out an irrefutable claim in a paragraph or two. It is the volume of supporting data that leads to the conclusions of evolutionary theory. Does the current theory of evolution have every answer? No. But creationism has no answers.

This is why science plods along in discovery while creatists ride the coat tails of science pitching a fit the whole way like the mythical lucifer running around making accusations. Wherever science goes the creationists will be there screaming "it ain't so! You are wrong and I know you are because God said."

For the record evolution isn't the only theory out there. Chemistry is a big ole' dumb theory, too. We have no proof that atoms really interact like chemistry claims they do. But we do have evidence, like paint, pesticides, food, plants, dirt, water, oxygen, so on and so on. Guess what? It all comes together to support the theories of chemistry. Will you deny chemistry?

Evolution is well supported. That is a fact. It is supported by every other discipline of science. If the simple explanations and evidence (facts) do not satisfy you then you can either A) not believe it, or B) go spend years studying science so you can become fully aware of just how broad the support is for evolution.

The entire theorum and supporting evidence cannot be told to you on ATS. If it were you still wouldn't believe. You never will. You are predisposed to your convictions.

As a scientist (still in training I'll admit) I cannot have predisposed convictions (everyone does, but we must always strive to be aware of them and try to not allow them to influence our findings). I must keep an open mind. I must go where the evidence takes me. I must be prepared to reformulate my opinions based on new evidence. That is what science does. IS that what creationism does? Or is it firm in its' position regardless of data and evidence?

I'll tell you something about scientists. Every scientist alive would love to posit some revolutionary hypothesis that turns science on its' head. Fame and fortune would be theirs. Immortality in history. If there was truly valid and significant evidence refuting evolution then scientists would be all over it. Scientists discover. They study questions and seek the unknown. They do not run around trying to convince people of things that are not true to the best of their knowledge. I can think of a group of people who do, however.

link   

Only the most suited to given environment continue the species, and thus over generations, by natural selection, the species becomes better adopted to its specific environment. This does not mean that it's better like you put it. Environments don't remain constant.

Ah, but we adapted to many different environments that we are not suited to be in. Intelligence let us conquer that which we were not suited for.

link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte

Originally posted by HumanCondition
46% of the US has a serious social mental illness.

Translation-

46% of the US is retarded, and I am more intelligent then those 143 million people.

To the rest of you- Evolution is a theory and has NOT been observed, never, ever, ever. It has never been proven, and it is not science.

Debate me, I challenge you. Any claim, any question, any attack- I accept all.

What the difference between a Theory and Blind Faith?

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join