It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antiprotons found around Earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
www.newscientist.com...

A year or two ago somebody here who seemed to really know something alluded to 'stuff' which could be scooped up on the southern magnetic polar anomaly.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mbkennel

south atlantic anomaly.

it was a good thread. still have the working drawings for the collection aperture somewhere in my messy filing cabinet.

regards fakedirt,.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This is great science, but I find speculation about using antiprotons captured in Earth's vicinity for fuel to be premature. How much energy do you need to harvest enough to even break even? I haven't seen calculations. I doubt there are any.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I too find it strange they are already talking about fuelling craft with it. As for the calculations, I'm sure they annihilate each other.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

No, what I meant was you have to operate magnetic traps to collect anti-p, and also the actual apparatus that collects and holds them, and that would take energy. Trapped anti-p won't annihilate with anything if held in a magnetic trap.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Right. Only when the 2 meet do they annihilate. I remember hearing a story years ago, possibly an urban myth, that the Russians had some antimatter contained in a magnetic concrete bunker somewhere. If they were to turn they equipment off, then the antimatter would be released and things would...get scary quickly.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Right. Only when the 2 meet do they annihilate. I remember hearing a story years ago, possibly an urban myth, that the Russians had some antimatter contained in a magnetic concrete bunker somewhere. If they were to turn they equipment off, then the antimatter would be released and things would...get scary quickly.

I do think you heard this with regard to some computer game. Which is a cool plot, by the way. It's not just a matter of holding it, but you have to make it in the first place, which is incredibly difficult and expensive, almost to the point of impossible. Only a handful of anti-particles and anti-atoms have been created in labs so far as we know.

What we see in orbit now would be (with many caveats) a source of FREE antimatter. This changes everything, but my concerns about cost and practicality remain.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Does this in some way help produce ozone cause this hole down here looks to just be getting bigger?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

No, what I meant was you have to operate magnetic traps to collect anti-p, and also the actual apparatus that collects and holds them, and that would take energy. Trapped anti-p won't annihilate with anything if held in a magnetic trap.

This is way over my head.

Could some of the stuff taken from Tesla's theories be incorporated in this fashion?
And, if fudging around with it could effect said anomaly?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

www.abovetopsecret.com...

truth1000 created the initial thread on this 'matter' some time ago.

regards fakedirt.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy
Could some of the stuff taken from Tesla's theories be incorporated in this fashion?

Why? And what theories?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Why? And what theories?

Hi,
well, some of Tesla's stuff got hushed, so I don't know exactly what it is I am referring to.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Why? And what theories?

Hi,
well, some of Tesla's stuff got hushed, so I don't know exactly what it is I am referring to.

I don't personally think it was "hushed", some of it was eccentric and unproven, like the "death ray", which in fact was a spray of metal particles accelerated by a static field. It's unknown whether it would work or not.

But in any case, I see no connection between the antiprotons discovery and Tesla's work.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I think i just figured out what that airforce shuttle was doing over the last year....
Collecting anti matter particles i bet.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
truth1000 implied in his thread that the dod had lofted a satellite which is capable of utilising the anomaly when transitioning through it. collecting exotic particles which in turn generate the energy required to power the system.
he also suggested that it wasn't just anti-protons that were in abundance.
f.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

In Soviet Russia, uninterruptible power supply interrupts you!

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Only a handful of anti-particles and anti-atoms have been created in labs so far as we know.

It appears that at least some antimatter is in relatively common use.
PET Scans use Positron-Electron annihilation.

As the radioisotope undergoes positron emission decay (also known as positive beta decay), it emits a positron, an antiparticle of the electron with opposite charge. The emitted positron travels in tissue for a short distance (typically less than 1 mm, but dependent on the isotope), during which time it loses kinetic energy, until it decelerates to a point where it can interact with an electron. The encounter annihilates both electron and positron, producing a pair of annihilation (gamma) photons moving in approximately opposite directions.

en.wikipedia.org...

I know using wikipedia is frowned upon here, but for something like this it should be OK.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by GBBumblebee

I think if you read my post, I was specifically referring to "making" anti-matter in the lab in somewhat significant quantities. Positrons coming from beta decays are indeed common, but that's not what I had in mind.

But yes, PET is an example of antimatter routinely used by humans, from a natural source.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
So, I wonder if the X-37B in orbit for a year was just having some anti-protons for dinner, with a side of fava beans and a nice chianti?
edit on 20-6-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
So what other planets have the same Anomaly and have they looked for it..? Being able to recharge power for spacecrafts like this will make moving around this solar system much easier. When that time comes that is.

<<   2 >>

join