It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Qaeda commander Abu Yahya al-Libi killed - US officials

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Abu Yahya al-Libi

"Ah-boo" "Yah-Ya" "Al Lee-Bee"

Is someone just MAKING UP these stupid-sounding names at random?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainLJB

It may well mean something quite beautiful.

Just a reminder of how a mother's idyllic little pride and joy can be changed into something utterly grotesque within the space of a short life-time via the input of savage and evil men.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

do you mean it may well have MEANT something beautiful?

when you refer to a dead person its always in the past tense.

maybe his replacement will have a beautiful name...but whatever his name was is meaningless.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I find these drone attacks to be similar in essence to the MAC SOG program in vietnam.....
That program sought to capture and kill Vietcong infrastructure...meaning the local leaders.....Charged with doing this job, the spec forces, carried it off fairly well......
Trouble was, they alienated the other viets who were sympathetic to the west.........and many wrong people got snuffed im sure......This is what weve come down to, using muti billion dollar gear to kill one lonely fighter.....
and fifteen suspects whom we DONT know......
There is a bit of overkil here that eaces the US far from the mora high ground,....actually lowers us to the level of the inquisition.....

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
I find these drone attacks to be similar in essence to the MAC SOG program in vietnam.....
That program sought to capture and kill Vietcong infrastructure...meaning the local leaders.....Charged with doing this job, the spec forces, carried it off fairly well......
Trouble was, they alienated the other viets who were sympathetic to the west.........and many wrong people got snuffed im sure......This is what weve come down to, using muti billion dollar gear to kill one lonely fighter.....
and fifteen suspects whom we DONT know......
There is a bit of overkil here that eaces the US far from the mora high ground,....actually lowers us to the level of the inquisition.....

being suspected of hating America is not a big issue.

they can Hate all they want.

the 15 are unimportant...sort of like the mail room staff that happens to work at the White House.

just to be certain...this guy was sitting around with a whole room of people that weren't even worth mentioning in the article.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

If some of those unimportant people happened to be friends or family, would you agree with that position? Bombed for working in the wrong mailroom? If someone from Lake Forest, Illinois came and bombed Canada, then went home. Canada decided to bomb the APT building he was living in, or the office building, whatever, and you had family there that was killed by the bomb, would you accept that line of thinking? I sure as hell wouldn't. Taking out 20 people, because one of them might be a bad guy is just plain evil if you ask me.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Thats right. The drone thing is just to easy to use, and since pulling the 'trigger' is aided by a computer and machine, the collateral damage some how does not seem that important to them. This autonomous remote warfare will backfire on us if they cannot single out the bad guy and leave his family alone.
edit on 5-6-2012 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

The only difference between putting an IED in a road the enemy frequently drives on, and sending a drone to blow up a building that you hope an enemy might be in, is technological advantage, and a made up moral high ground. The intent is the same, you hope you take out the enemy, if not, oh well, # happens.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

If some of those unimportant people happened to be friends or family, would you agree with that position? Bombed for working in the wrong mailroom? If someone from Lake Forest, Illinois came and bombed Canada, then went home. Canada decided to bomb the APT building he was living in, or the office building, whatever, and you had family there that was killed by the bomb, would you accept that line of thinking? I sure as hell wouldn't. Taking out 20 people, because one of them might be a bad guy is just plain evil if you ask me.

if they had actually been innocent, no. but they are not innocent.

the people getting hit by hell fire are kidnappers, rapists, murderers, drug dealers, armed robbers, burglars, dead beat dads, traffic hazards, jaywalkers, litterers, people that chew gum in class and don't bring enough for everyone...etc. etc. etc. and...they attempted to do it again.

your example has already happened...TWICE..one success, one failure. what you are experiencing is the response.

are you enjoying yourselves? did you have a good time?

do you think you will be receiving sympathy?

those 15-20 people should abandon the one. but they won't by their own choice.

it only gets worse from this day forward.

edit on 5-6-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Few trillion dollars to take out a few thousand terrorists...that's very cost efficient lol...its probably what they wanted all along.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

some people got it like that.

since we both know you don't have a few trillion dollars, then it's really none of your concern how much is spent killing dimwits.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

It is my concern if it is my tax dollars

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

borrowed money keeps this government operating, not your tax dollars. you can keep your pittance and nothing would change. you are worthless.

but it is irrelevant. every person at war against this country is going to die eventually and unceremoniously.

perhaps by hell fire missiles fired from an unmanned drone.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I am going to put a hypothetical scenario/question to you.

Say you were a freedom fighter who was doing the righteous thing by defending your beliefs and your homeland and even your family. Say the evil enemy is much more powerful and advanced than you. You are more than likely aware that you are a marked man or have the potential to become wanted by the evil powerful all seeing enemy. Would you seek shelter in the arms of innocent people or even your family? Would you bring the fighting to their doorstep? I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say no, no you would not risk other "non-freedom fighter" innocent people in your affairs. If you did then you are an ***hole.

Just look at it from the other side. I really doubt that he was seeking refuge with "innocent" people. Most "innocent" people over there do not endorse or harbor AQ/Tali/Insurgents. They just turn a blind eye. They don't feed them or shelter them willingly. Often the "bad guys" over there try not to force themselves on the "innocent" locals because they know if they become combative or a pain in the a** to the local indigenous that the "innocent" people will drop a dime on them.

I know it's hard for the general public to understand COIN or how it works. Just flip the issue sometimes and think about what these "bad" guys are doing. Critical thinking.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

borrowed money keeps this government operating, not your tax dollars

Then why are there taxes if its not our money running the wars? If it is not about the money it is also my flag. The American flag has been shamed because of these false wars all for nothing.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

the taxes are obviously an attempt to make you feel good about yourself. participation increases self-esteem.

as far as the Flag being yours...that remains to be seen. many people would happily desecrate it under the right circumstances.

its quite clear that some are more fully invested in it than others.

nevertheless; I know what they did last summer. I know what they did last weekend. I know what they would like to do tomorrow.

and in the prosecution of this war money is no object of concern. suggesting that it is, reveals you have no idea what is happening or that you playing both sides.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

the taxes are obviously an attempt to make you feel good about yourself. participation increases self-esteem.

No it is my money and I need it. I have no self-esteem issues, but I did stay at a holiday in express

as far as the Flag being yours...that remains to be seen

It is my flag, it is the country I belong to...

many people would happily desecrate it under the right circumstances.

You being the first. When you go kill people for no reason or support such actions you are desecrating it.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

you believe in a decorative cloth...not a flag.

some would call what you believe in, an IDOL...go worship your Idol.

i hope they give you your money back, i really do.

but the dead man is guilty as sin and he knows it. and anyone that was with him.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

but the dead man is guilty as sin and he knows it. and anyone that was with him.

You have no evidence of him being guilty, he was suspected of being guilty.

Standing next to someone makes you guilty? So when you stand next to a rapist i will accuse you of being a rapist.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

i've been accused of many things; accusations are meaningless, but that's when it becomes necessary to expose the false witnesses; the world abounds in them.

but what I also know is that if he wasn't guilty of anything, he'd still be alive today. this is not a game and might is not what is making things right. these people aren't dead and dying because of drones, the universe is determining the date of their demise.

i'll say it again.

you don't know what is going on and you have obviously decided that this condition is acceptable to you, at least for the purpose of posting in this forum.

Ain't War just Grand?

next time do some research before you start one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join