It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Victim of My Husband's Nightmare, or Something Else?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Not sure if this is the correct forum as I'm new here.

Last night, in the middle of the night, I have no idea when as the clock is not on my side of the bed, I was attacked by my husband.

Literally, I heard him growl like a caveman, zombie, whatever you want to call it, and the next minute I knew, his arms were squashing my head.

To which I replied, "AAAAAAAAHHHHHH! (sorry for the caps but this is for emphasis), WTH are you doing?"

Then he bursted into laughter, but he was very incoherent as he would not answer my questions.

Upon realizing that I didn't think that he wasn't going to attack me any further, I then broke into laughter as well.

He then, seemingly, became more coherent because he told me to "Shhhh, be quiet or your going to wake him up (our son)."

So, I did become quiet, and then he started laughing.

And the laughter was contagious as then I started laughing again...and we repeated this I would say for 3 minutes or so...until I guess we both fell back into sleep.

He gets up to go to work around 5 a.m. and came to kiss me goodbye as he always does, and told me to have a good day and that he loves me as he always does.

I was aware enough to ask him why he attacked me last night and he just looked at me puzzled.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Or heard of one? Was this just his nightmare manifested on me? I know I have hit him once in the bed during a nightmare, but I quickly recovered and told him I was sorry. He didn't even remember it the next day.

Ideas, anyone? Thanks in advance for your thoughts/posts.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by watchesfromwall

Night terror, strange dream, nightmare, what-have-you...sounds like his brain was stuck in dreamland and the usual physical inhibitors that keep us from acting out to prevent us from harming ourselves in our sleep were unshackled for some reason (possibly related to a developing sleepwalking issue?).

Less mundane explanations certainly abound as well, but might as well fly by Occam here. Let us know if it keeps up, you might need to get a sleep study or some other help for the hubby.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I'm not sure how you expect somebody here to be able to explain this more than you can yourself?

Are you looking for some supernatural explanation?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I am a sleep-sexer. Sadly, I don't remember any of it, but apparently I'm very charming.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by UltimateSkeptic1
I'm not sure how you expect somebody here to be able to explain this more than you can yourself?

Are you looking for some supernatural explanation?

Possibly, because of the unexplained weird laughter when I was scared out of my wits only moments before?

thanks for asking.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
And now I am laughing what he hell is going on!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
My husband has done this a few times, claiming it was a dream.mind you he didn't growl.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
A couple of years back, I had a dream that I was wrestling an alligator. Now - in real life I would think that I would stay as far away from an alligator as possible and I would certainly never try to wrestle one, but in my dream it wasn't scary or abnormal for whatever reason. Anyhoo, as I'm wrestling this alligator in my dream I got it into a headlock and started wailing on it's head with my fist. I assume there must have been a reason for this, but a lot of times what makes perfect sense in my dreams is nonsense in real life - but as I was wailing on this alligator I woke up. I had my wife in a headlock and my hand was clenched in a fist and I was making the motions of punching without actually hitting her (likely due to REM atonia - which is what prevents your muscles from moving as they are in your dream). She also had woken up and was obviously curious as to what I was doing. We ended up having a laugh about it, but I would assume that what happened with your husband is probably something similar to what I experienced. He just didn't remember his dream.

My wife is often moving her hands and arms while she sleeps. We don't know why, but it's funny to watch.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

that is the kind of hypocrisy in meaning to make a thread only to force the existence of what do not exist in very vicious manner

husband do not exist, two do not make one, only individual ones exist
sleeping do not exist, only self awareness stand is the free conscious will
pretending or meaning or willing doing do not exist only what one will realize objectively exist or destroy objectively exist

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

that is the kind of hypocrisy in meaning to make a thread only to force the existence of what do not exist in very vicious manner

husband do not exist, two do not make one, only individual ones exist
sleeping do not exist, only self awareness stand is the free conscious will
pretending or meaning or willing doing do not exist only what one will realize objectively exist or destroy objectively exist

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
He is a demon and you need to exorcise him!

I would say call a Priest but they are just as demonic!

It does appear you love your demon, and he seems to be playful about it, he probably didn't realize his own strength. I would keep the Bible at the bedside and if he starts in on you again then whallop him across the head with the Book! Bibles are typically soft books so don't use a hard-cover edition!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I guess this is the first time that something like this happens or you wouldn't make a thread about it.

It was propably a dream,but you'd better ask him,what he was dreaming about and if he remembers attacking you.
I don't want to jump into conclusions before we have his side of the story.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

Fair enough,

Yes, this is the first time, and we have been together (although not always married, but living together) for almost 7 years now.

When I asked him about it, for more details, last night, he didn't remember anything about it, or even a possible dream associated with it. But when I described everything in as much detail as I could remember, we both got a pretty good LOL out of it. The kind that comes from your deep self and you finally have to pinch yourself to stop laughing. That was kind of weird. I guess my expectations have always been that he really stays on his edge of the bed throughout our relationship. We even co-slept with our son as an infant with no problems.

I do know that he is one of the most stressful positions of his work career, and there have been recent changes with his job. Plus, I was recently laid-off.

I wantto credit all of this to stress/nightmares, but I can't be sure?

Guess I will take a wait and see approach and report back to you guys.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Stress can be a powerful factor and can cause a ton of nightmares.I asked if he remembered anything because it has happened to me.

I have woken up screaming and kicking from what my boyfriend thought was a dream.
I couldn't remember the dream,but my boyfriend told me that before i started screaming i was fighting with something he couldn't see(and he got a few punches himself),i was making some weird sounds and the room temperature had fallen during the incident(it was summer and i live in Greece-normal temp around 35 degrees celcius).Plus i had some scratces and bruises.

As i said i can't remember a dream,but i definetely remember that i felt fear and that my life was in danger.Until i calmed down i couldn't recognise anything,not even him.All i could see was some kind of fog and shadows.
Of course i didn't want to freak him out more,since he knows my interest in the paranormal,so i told him that it was a dream and i ended it there.

So maybe your husband isn't "possessed" or anything,but something could have attacked him and you were a collateral damage.I'm sure he didn't intend to harm you in any way.Maybe he didn't even realised it,especially if he isn't into paranormal stuff.
I would suggest a house cleansing and perhaps some protection near the bed(a cross, if you are a christian or anything you believe it will protect you).

Don't hesitate to PM me if you need further help or support.

Hope that everything works out for you and your family and the whole thing was just a bad dream reaction.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Something like this happened to me with my son. I went to wake him up and he opened his eyes and I said something like, "You up?" and he just looked at me like he was wide awake, but didn't say anything. I said his name, then his eyes widened like he was scared and screamed the most ungodly scream I've ever heard. Truly, a 19 year old man screaming is pretty scary! Then in what seemed like a single, flawless, smooth move he threw his covers off and kicked me sideways like a karate move (he did used to take karate lessons). It really hurt! I had a cereal box in my hands, I think I was gonna ask him if it was his or something. I screamed, threw the cereal box, and ran out of his room thinking he must surely be chasing me. My other son was very alarmed and scared. He told me later that he thought with the both of us screaming, that there was an intruder upstairs or something. We proceeded upstairs together to see what the heck was going on and my other son was just sitting on the edge of the bed looking like he just woke up. I asked him if he remembered what just happened and he said he didn't. He remembered nothing. He said he didn't even remember sitting up to the position on the edge of the bed.

This whole thing freaked me out so bad, that whenever I go in his room to wake him up or see if he's awake, I stay near the door and make sure he's awake. He kind of chuckles at me when I say stuff like, "are you sure you are awake?"
Then I know for sure he's up and won't attack the zombie in his dream while I'm standing there... heheh
edit on 19-6-2012 by Ellie Sagan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellie Sagan

Thanks for sharing your story, Ellie Sagan.

It is frightening to experience such encounters with those we feel totally bonded with, and feel we know the best.

As a mom, myself, I can imagine how strange it might feel for one of your own children to react in this way.

However, my 2 boys are much younger, and you mention that your son is 19 if I am correct? Perhaps, he is is really in a struggle (that society enforces, and sometimes, we moms unitentionallly try to deny) between caught between being a boy and becoming a man?

Given that my husband and I have experienced this during a great time of transition and stress, I am writing it off for now as that--which might also explain your son's episode. Otherwise, if the boys follow that circumstance of their dad's gene pool, err--I am in for a world of nightmares in the future!

What do you think? Is/Was your son in a stressful siutation at the time?

Light, love, and peace,
wfw

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I remember as a kid my aunt telling a story about my uncle punching her in face in the middle of the night. She's about 5-4, 120lb. He's about 6-3, 300lbs. He was restless, tossing and turning and woke my aunt up. She asked what was the matter. He turned and beaned her tight in the nose. Not that hard because she didn't have a mark. Then he turned and fell asleep again. The next morning she asked him "What the [expletive deleted] happened las t night? But he couldn't remember a thing. I don;t know what makes people do that and not remember. Not even the dream they were having...bizarre.

By the way, my aunt might be tiny but my uncle is scared Sh!tless of her.

And a friend of mine got in a fist fight with his dad while sleep walking in his boxer shorts outside in January. Now that was a friggin' weird story.
edit on 20-6-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

What kind of work does/did the Uncle do? That might be a clue, or it might mean nothing.

Related to what you posted, I had a friend in college walk from our house, over a fence, and over to the high school behind us. She set off alarms trying to enter the gym!
The police arrived, and finally got in touch with us.

All the while, she was sleeping! Or maybe drunk/sleeping-walking!
Who knows? She did have a history of strange sleep behavior, and once got into someone else's apartment and joined the other girl (a total stranger) in bed. That girl took it hard--well really, who wouldn't?

Yes, when I think back, my situation could totally be worse. But after several years of calm, you begin to expect it.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

He's a bass player and front man for a Contry Rock/ Blues band. Sleep walking always freaks me out abit. My daugter takes from her mom for that. ---Side note---her mom also sleeps with her eyes open. Where she was about 4, I had my first experience with her sleep"whatever"ing. I hear rustling in her room I thought she was awake so I walk in and she's sitting in her bed, starring straight ahead unblinking. Completely motionless. Needless to say the hair on the back of my neck kind of stood up. I tried to wake her...big mistake. She completly freaked out. I calmed her down and put her back to bed. The next morning...no recolection what so ever. She also peed on the kitchen floor once. That was hilarious.
edit on 20-6-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Maybe you should set up a camera and record while you sleep. Then analyze the footage by fast forwarding each day. Who knows, your spouse might be growling at night or making other movements which both of you are unaware of. Perhaps just seeing his behaviour at night might make your husband think about change and start doing things to better learn how to deal with everyday's stimuli, which his brain might be working out at night but might not be enough and certain issues need adressing so to better cope with it before it grows into worse things.

Who knows, next you might find yourself waking up with bruises because your husband hit you in your sleep. Might just be annoying but also hard to explain in social settings, people might think there's abuse going on - try explaining it's your husband doing this in his sleep.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join