It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom arrested for cheering too loudly at daughter's graduation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Mom arrested for cheering too loudly at daughter's graduation

www.rawstory.com

A South Carolina mother’s cheers were loud enough to result in her being handcuffed and arrested at her daughter’s high school graduation by cops over the weekend.

According to WPDE-TV, Shannon Cooper was taken into custody minutes after she celebrated her daughter receiving her diploma.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
How far we have come in our police state is painfully being shown to us through stories like this, every day there is a new story of police abusing their power and those in charge of these police are as much to blame.
I would like to know who told these officers to arrest this woman?

It's unbelievable to me to read this story my family was always the loudest at my football games my graduation and they never once had to deal with this kind of abuse not from school officials and certainly not from the police.

its shameful that all of these people in the stands did not stick up for her are we so afraid of our so called protectors that we can not stand up for our own rights of free speech? I hate to say it but our country has become a police state run by FEAR.

our police officers have become a fearfactory long gone are the days of seeing your local police walking through your neighborhood and saying hello to kids playing in the street, now its hand on the tazer while you are forced out of the street and into a jail cell for something so idiotic as being too loud at a graduation?

. seriously how can we allow this to go on every day and how can we FIRE all police their supervisors and their bosses we pay their salary we the people need to take back our lives and not live under this shadow where anything we say or do can be misconstrued into an illegal activity. the saddest thing is these brutal police are being hand picked for their "judge dredd" attributes and given a free pass to commit crimes and make up laws that are poorly understood by those enforcing them, with no repercussion for their nu-excusable actions if fact the police seem to pride themselves in their abuse of power...

THIS NEEDS TO STOP WE NEED CHANGE! the only way to change anything is to come together, RIGHT NOW!

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
She should have had a permit.

Everyone knows that cheering at your child's graduation now requires a permit

This type of craps happens more and more, and we just take it

At least she went public with her story.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Coming next... people getting arrested for blowing out the candles on their birthday cake! Oh... and smiling. Can't have anyone outwardly expressing any positive feeling.

Hello 1984! Orwell was right!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

There must have been more to this story.

Public intoxication perhaps?

I can't see anyone wanting to call cops for loud cheering at a graduation, so I suspect there is much more to the story.

Edit: Just read the article (I know I should have done that before commenting), and it seems disorderly conduct was the reason cited for the arrest.

This has to be more than a case of loud cheering, as others were cheering as well. I really can't see the cops arresting just for loud cheering.

Also of she was loudly cheering after her daughter had been given the diploma and not allowing others around to hear the names of other graduates as they were called up, I can see why some would get PO'd.

It's one thing to celebrate loudly an accomplishment by your child, its another thing altogether to disrupt the ceremony for others and their families.

edit on 5-6-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

Oh god why did this have to be my state.

I don't know about any other states schools but alot of schools around SC take Graduations way to seriously. At my school if we did anything but walk up and get our diploma we would be suspended from getting it for a set amount of days, if at all depended on what you did.

It was South Florence High School so im glad it was not my old school. Im really surprised WIS or WLTX didn't pick this story up.

Thanks for the post or I would have never known about this.
edit on 5-6-2012 by Sol23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

Hey - if a school can withhold your diploma and 'sentence' you to 20 hours of community service because too many people in the audience cheered too loudly for you, why not just go a step further and have the cops arrest cheering people instead? Popular senior denied diploma because of too much cheering:

"Teachers, other students and other family members who weren't with us were also cheering for him also. He's well known," Traci said.

The excitement proved too much for the administration.

Instead of a diploma, Anthony got a letter from the principal, Marlon Styles, Jr.

"I will be holding your diploma in the main office," the letter said, "due to the excessive cheering your guests displayed during the roll call."

Honestly...unless she was orders of magnitude above and beyond what everyone else was doing, which I think is doubtful, I consider this pretty lame. I've been to some VERY loud graduations, and we were somehow just fine without anyone getting arrested.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sol23
reply to post by -W1LL

I don't know about any other states schools but alot of schools around SC take Graduations way to seriously. At my school if we did anything but walk up and get our diploma we would be suspended from getting it for a set amount of days, if at all depended on what you did.

It was South Florence High School so im glad it was not my old school. Im really surprised WIS or WLTX didn't pick this story up.

I can understand your point, but I can also understand that they don't want graduation to turn into a circus act.

It is an event that should be treated with dignity, not cartwheels and and dances as they get their diplomas.

One student pushes it and then it becomes a one upmanship show, turning into a circus act.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds

Originally posted by Sol23
reply to post by -W1LL

I can understand your point, but I can also understand that they don't want graduation to turn into a circus act.

It is an event that should be treated with dignity, not cartwheels and and dances as they get their diplomas.

One student pushes it and then it becomes a one upmanship show, turning into a circus act.

I agree. But during my graduation we were not even allowed to wave. Just shake hands and walk away. But yes I fully understand that things can get out of hand If they do not put those rules in place.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeterWiggin

Hey - if a school can withhold your diploma and 'sentence' you to 20 hours of community service because too many people in the audience cheered too loudly for you, why not just go a step further and have the cops arrest cheering people instead? Popular senior denied diploma because of too much cheering:

"Teachers, other students and other family members who weren't with us were also cheering for him also. He's well known," Traci said.

The excitement proved too much for the administration.

Instead of a diploma, Anthony got a letter from the principal, Marlon Styles, Jr.

"I will be holding your diploma in the main office," the letter said, "due to the excessive cheering your guests displayed during the roll call."

Honestly...unless she was orders of magnitude above and beyond what everyone else was doing, which I think is doubtful, I consider this pretty lame. I've been to some VERY loud graduations, and we were somehow just fine without anyone getting arrested.

If there was such a policy beforehand, I'm sure that all families were made aware of it. To blatantly disregard the policies is a show of disrespect.

I don't think its fair the grad student was punished, but maybe they were told to tell their families to NOT cheer disruptively.

When you have a bunch of folks cheering loudly and for an extended period of time I can see where it would hold up the process, because names would not be heard over the cheering.

There must be a reasonable reason these policies were put into place?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Im very sad that she wasn't tasered or at least water boarded in public...omg what's this country coming to when you cant even taser someone without a reason...wtf america why didn't the local law enforcement agency have drones in the sky with hellfire's ????

pfff...i can only hang my head in shame at the generals within the pentagon..why o why are no global hawks armed and deployed over america..why oh why are we even paying your salary's !!!, we need more passive methods to herd the people. This is why we should have all citizens chipped and with nano bots inside. If anyone decides to go rogue then simply shut down their neurological delivery mechanism but not before we can taser them and upload the video on youtube so millions can see and have a laugh.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

There must be a reasonable reason these policies were put into place?

You would certainly hope so, if such a policy WERE even instituted - but then, how easy to subvert such a policy would it be? Unpopular kid, or divisive? Everyone who doesn't like him cheers, and gets his diploma withheld.

Stupid policies are stupid policies, even if they have the best of intents.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Actually after doing some more reading up on it. She was warned and it made her mad so she started cussing out the person warning her to be respectful and keep it down so others could hear, and that is when the police got involved.
Why can't people just give a good clap and shut the hell up at these events?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Does anyone know if alcohol was involved.

That's the only thing that makes real sense. Someone mentioned the article said "disorderly conduct", which can mean all sorts of things, but is usually used in conjuncion with alcohol or some other conduct that is reasonably determined to be unsafe and continues after being asked to cease said conduct.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Actually everyone was warned and asked not to cheer during the ceremony, but as usual these types of people think that they are above everyone else and don't think that they should abide to rules and laws of society and proper conduct..

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by HiHoAZaway

Because my son or daughter is better than yours and you and everyone needs to that...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

Because my son or daughter is better than yours and you and everyone needs to that...

No doubt it is almost like these parents are in a competition with each other, instead of just being proud for their child...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I agree, there must be more to the story.
I think disorderly conduct law covers being loud in public.

The article said the parents were told not to cheer beforehand.
I would think that meant to please be considerate and wait until the end to cheer, because as each child is called up, you aren't going to hear their name announced if one or more parents are still cheering on their child. It might have been ok to clap, just not yell over top of the anmouncements, drowning them out. Other parents were most likely videotaping their child and it's disruptive.
Perhaps she was too loud? Loud people are very annoying and often oblivious to the racket they make, not realizing how rude they are being. That's just how loudmouths behave in my observations. The definition of ignorance is when you don't know you're being ignorant.

However I think being arrested was too much and I can understand she felt it was her right to cheer.
edit on 5-6-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Actually after doing some more reading up on it. She was warned and it made her mad so she started cussing out the person warning her to be respectful and keep it down so others could hear, and that is when the police got involved.

Thank you for the info.

I figured there had to be more to the story.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Sounds like the woman was being a moron. Poor kid was probably embarrassed at the loud cheers and even more so as the mother was toted away. classic

top topics

<<   2 >>

join