It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia says Georgia's entry to NATO could lead to war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Russia’s foreign minister has warned of a repetition of its 2008 war with Georgia if the South Caucasus state joins NATO. Speaking at a news conference after the NATO-Russia Council in Brussels on Thursday, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said he had warned NATO foreign ministers against “pushing the current Georgian regime towards a repetition of their August 2008 gamble.”

Russia wouldn't be allowed to bring Cuba under their federation, why why Georgia in NATO? I know Arms are supplied by the US and they assisted with the war in Afghanistan, but what's next? Missile silo/shield?

They should leave Georgia be.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Is there new information stating they were accepted? As far as I know, the NATO commission gave Georgia some unrealistic goals to obtain in order to become an active member.

I think all NATO members know that adding Georgia could be more volatile than it's worth. Granted, Russia can't just be bulling a sovereign nation and ally to NATO on a regular basis.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Isn't NATO a little obsolete anyway? What we need is like one world government or something- and keep all those dissenters in check!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Where's the source? Would like to read more info.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Georgia is an “aspirant” member of NATO. Russia is merely demonstrating the bah-humbug-spoilt-brat mentality which has driven Georgia away. Russia needs to grow up and realise that they lose the respect of their neighbours when they treat them shabbily.

Regards

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by concernedcitizen519

Sorry!

en.ria.ru...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Originally posted by concernedcitizen519

Sorry!

en.ria.ru...

Tad old, isn't it?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Georgia is alowed like any sovrign nation to have allies. and if you boarder
a beligerant neighbough like russia, (yes russia) they it is prudent to have
yourselves a big assed stick under the bead. putin gave orders to invade
georgian territory durring the beijing olympics. I wonder weather he'll use the same
trick this time.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I beleive next time, Russia should go right through Georgia and annex the country under Russian Control.

That is the only way to shut up Shaskashvilli.

Russia is being conerned at the moment and if you cant see that happening there is something wrong...what do you think will happpen if you corner a bear? That bear will bite back!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Russia should not invade Georgia .

2 pence

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by wondera

Isn't this another land dispute problem or something like it? It seems to be the worldwide trend these days. This has nothing to do with NATO, the USA or any other party except Georgia and Russia. Building missile shields and other technology to me is provoking a conflict especially when Russia don't seem to be to concerned about blowing Georgia back to the stone age at the moment.

Stay out of other peoples affairs and worry about your own I say.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by wondera

Just like Syria, Iran, Russia, China, Nth Korea and every other nation that the west do not agree with. Anyway, I'm sure Russia have got bigger issues on their plate compared to a pesky nation who keeps giving them headaches every now and then.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
reply to post by wondera

Just like Syria, Iran, Russia, China, Nth Korea and every other nation that the west do not agree with. Anyway, I'm sure Russia have got bigger issues on their plate compared to a pesky nation who keeps giving them headaches every now and then.

If that pesky nation is Georgia that you refer to, I think you're misdirected. Just like Poland, Ukraine, Latvia, Belarus and Estonia, Russia has constantly been a thorn in their side while the countries I mentioned have merely wanted Russia to observe their sovereignty and leave them alone but Russia continues to pressure and bully them. That's why they plead with NATO to join to give them a big stick to keep Russia at bay because they know that if they get absorbed back into a Russia dictatorship, their resources will once again be sucked up and potentially millions of their citizens will be murder. One only need reference Holodomor for a brief flashback to Russian hospitality!

new topics

top topics

join