It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nano Garden Lets You Grow Veggies Right in Your Kitchen

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Seems is not available for purchase.

There is actually a much better model that is also not for sale yet from a different company that includes a talapia tank in the bottom for the full monty.

I suppose this is more science tech than survival.

FWIW I have been growing all my produce indoors since fuku dust was confirmed here. I recently shut down as my racks were cobbled together from home depot junk parts and will fire up soon with one of these adapted to ebb and flow. I was running all organic and finally the pests found their way in. Confining roots balls and stunting growth kept the leaf lettuce producing for 18 months with just removing 1-2 outer leaves from each plant. The death nail was a 2 day power outage which caused everything to finish at once regardless of the timing set.

homeharvest.com...

Going to run strawberries and Blueberries on the bottom, veggies second, salad greens third and microgreens on the top. Start with two trays of everything and then fine tune and add more items. any excess plants not used can go to my neighbor or fam.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I had one of these a few years ago

www.buy.com...

Produced 20,000 lumens vegged and bloomed maters that was better than the store and I knew what I was getting and eating.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
I had one of these a few years ago

www.buy.com...

Produced 20,000 lumens vegged and bloomed maters that was better than the store and I knew what I was getting and eating.

My old one is two file carts stacked with 2' T5s, 2' shoplights, and two foot kitchen lights. Its pretty ghetto. What ever was on super sale at the time. I didnt realize how crappy is really was because of all the months of the free salads and eats but if I had a resident chickie she would roll it right out to the dumpster lol. As will I when the new one arrives.
edit on 5-6-2012 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by maxella1

That's a neat item for selling but I hope it's not too pricey because it's all too easy to build it yourself for a fraction of the price, all you need to do is visit Home Depot & Amazon. That setup is cool and I enjoy the idea of vertical gardening because its the most ideal use of space in a home, but coolness aside, I wouldn't pay too much for it. Now a days it's easy to start an indoor garden anywhere in your home thanks to electricity and the light bulb, well not just any light bulb, I'm talking about T5 fluorescent tubes, metal halide, and HPS 150 -1000 watt light bulbs. Special thanks to hydroponic systems, an old technology that thrives today. So basically all you need to do is figure out where you can hang a light and go from there. I think more people should grow their own food. It's fun watching it grow and producing your own lettuce or basil or tomato and maybe it will encourage me, err, us to actually eat the veggies we grow

This part is cool but I hope it doesn't create lazy growers

The concept takes tiered metal shelving, climate controlled panels, purposefully-directed lumens, and an attachment to a water source to make your indoor vegetable crop dreams a potential reality. Because light, water and nutrient supply is totally controllable, it's up to you how quickly you want your veggies to grow. It will alert you if you're overwatering, over-sunning, or if your plants need more nutrients. It even works to naturally purify the air in your home.

If you're gonna grow something you should learn the basics and that's knowing what over watering is, over feeding looks like, watering PH levels, etc. It's really not rocket science but definitely is all about trial and error, like anything else in life.

If you think this home garden is cool check out a thread of mine, Vertical Farming by Dickson Despommier

edit: the first comment is my favorite comment

I think every pot grower in a cold climate has already thought of this.

edit on 5-6-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JailTales
what about from an oxygen standpoint, will this give houses presumably better air to breathe in, or am i being stupid and overestimating the effects of a few plants?

According to the article it does

It even works to naturally purify the air in your home.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by maxella1

Originally posted by JailTales
what about from an oxygen standpoint, will this give houses presumably better air to breathe in, or am i being stupid and overestimating the effects of a few plants?

According to the article it does

It even works to naturally purify the air in your home.

Yeah, when I read that I wondered what their air purifier is. I mean, the plants themselves are the air purifiers, so I'm gonna assume this Nano Garden has fans pumping air out which makes sense because it looks enclosed so it's gonna need to pull air in because plants need air. Unless this baby comes with carbon & HEPA filters I doubt it actually purifies anything.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
My indoor garden consists of 2 4x4 flood and drain tables. Two 1000watt high pressure sodium lamps for flower. Two sunblaze 44 fluorescents for veg. Advanced nutrients hydroponic series, and alot of love.

I yield big. I love growing.

One day soon I'll have my own indoor gardening center and i can't wait.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I just about killed myself building 2 8X4 raised boxes hauling in dirt and comp and you post this? Oh my back...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
you're electric bill: $1000

value of vegetables grown: $25

the look on your face when you're eating a $400 bowl of salad: priceless.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Im not saying how or that I condone it, but there are ways around a large electric bill. ..Not everyone grows just "veggies" either.

Hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do to survive, especially in a rough economy.

That setup is pretty, but i doubt its efficient. My 50 gallon rez can maintain itself for a week, with minor ph adjustments and slight top offs of reverse osmosis water. With a 50 day cycle its really not alot of work. I started with RDWC recirculating deep water culture systems (5 gallon buckets) and that's alot of work.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join