It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Clear Politics: Walker 51.5% - Barrett 44.8% : - Recall Thread -

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by 1BornPatriot
My elite friends told me a few years ago, that when you see 49 - 51 that means they stole it.

You don't have well informed friends. It was not 49-51 BTW. Did you pull those numbers out of a dark hole....

Des

Gov. Sarah Palin weighed in last night. - Obamas Goose is cooked! -

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The unemployment rate is total BS. It only counts people LOOKING for a job. 1/3 of the country is out of work, if you add the 10% unemployment number, that's close to 40% of this country without a job. It's almost a third world country around here and no one seems to notice. Another thing, you know that the average college student graduates with 90,000 dollars of debt? Then they have a 54% chance of getting job.

It will not get any better folks, don't look for it. It will only get worse. Even the imaginary debt number is up to 15 trillion dollars.

And on top of that you live in a giant human farm mall. /end rant.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I agree there's some major problems with unions, but if you eliminate the right of workers to demand a fair and livable wage, protect them from political firings, deviate corporate safety violations (that still occur- corporations who want to save money, find ways to get around OSHA inspections), and forcing employees to take on more responsibilities than what they can handle, it will just cause the working wage of all Americans to decline.

I've owned a business and like any other business, the bottom line is saving money and increasing profits. Finding workers at the lowest possible wage has been the standard for the majority of businesses. Since congress passed the National Labor Relations Act in 1935, corporations across the country raised their wages to keep their employees from organizing and creating unions in their shops. The biggest threat to corporations is a unionized work force.

If you want to defend eliminating unions, just open your eyes and look at how many corporations have sent their manufacturing facilities overseas for cheap labor. We're not just talking about high paying manufacturing jobs, but our farming and service jobs are also being sent across the border and overseas. A customer service rep doesn't get paid $20.00 and hour in America. So why do we have customer service representatives in India for American companies like Sears?

Is Walker cutting his government pension? Is congress cutting their lucrative pensions and healthcare benefits? How many workers in the United States can say they can vote themselves a raise like congress does? Yet these government officials have the tenacity to attack the union worker. Sounds like they have one long hand and one short hand to me.

As far as the problems of Unions go...I've seen and worked with a lot of lazy workers who use the union to protect their jobs. A lot of workers take advantage of their union and it sometimes makes it impossible for companies to get rid of dead weight. I think a lot of unions have gone too far, and they can create a strangle hold on a business.

Getting rid of unions altogether is a bad idea. It will only bring the standard of living down. There's a reason a lot of countries have a minimum wage. Just think how much the average worker would be making without it.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kang69

I don't know anybody out of work that wants to work. $90k in debt isn't much concidering thats 1 year of pay. A new car is 6 months pay or more. besides the real money is in trade school jobs

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

On the other hand. I owned a seasonal business for 15 years before retiring from it. I paid far above average wages to my employees, they worked harder and longer for me too. Without being asked. I always had the same people come back season after season, and as my business grew, they referred excellent new people to me. Never had to advertise once.

I didn't require a Union to make me treat them fairly, nor any committee to oversee their working conditions. I think there are many more business owners who think the same as I do. Because of good working conditions, and good communications in-house, my business prospered. It doesn't take a policing agency to make these things happen.

Unless the business owners are outright greedy.

Des

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Do you believe if each and every union were to disappear completely tomorrow morning (we should only be so lucky!), that minimum wage laws and other employment protections would be abolished and never thought of again?

No way.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

On the other hand. I owned a seasonal business for 15 years before retiring from it. I paid far above average wages to my employees, they worked harder and longer for me too. Without being asked. I always had the same people come back season after season, and as my business grew, they referred excellent new people to me. Never had to advertise once.

I didn't require a Union to make me treat them fairly, nor any committee to oversee their working conditions. I think there are many more business owners who think the same as I do. Because of good working conditions, and good communications in-house, my business prospered. It doesn't take a policing agency to make these things happen.

Unless the business owners are outright greedy.

Des

Bingo!!!

Merit based raises.

Don't forget the freedom factor.

Don't like your job? Quit and work somewhere else.

Better yet, start up your own company.

The only person holding you back is yourself.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeFromTheHerd

Do you believe if each and every union were to disappear completely tomorrow morning (we should only be so lucky!), that minimum wage laws and other employment protections would be abolished and never thought of again?

No way.

The pro-union kool-aid drinkers always jump to the worst case scenario.

Actions speak louder than words.

Just keep a close eye on Wisconsin over the next year.

Prosperity will increase under Gov. Scott Walker.

---------
Despair will increase in Illinois. Just watch.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

90k isnt much? Yeah unless your making 90k a year. (which is rare) Even then you are taking a big gamble with 54% chance of getting a job. And now high school graduates are getting more jobs then college graduates.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Have you ever heard of businesses hiring people for 90 days and than laying them off? After 90 days the employee would be required to join the union and receive an increase in pay and benefits. The majority of corporations don't want to pay the additional expense in benefits nor an increase in pay.

The bottom line is that corporations become successful because of their workers who manufacture and sell their products. Without the sweat and hard work of their employees, their business will fail. They chew and spit out their employees without any concern for their loyalty or hard work. Yet they will pay their CEO's and upper management millions of dollars a year. Outsourcing jobs overseas is a clear indication that corporations value the lowest wage possible for labor. The U.S. labor market is driven by low wages, period. What more proof do you need?

In a perfect world, corporations would pay their workers a fair and livable wage, unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world. Some small businesses and corporations value their workers and pay them a fair and livable wage. Many do not. BINGO!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Yeah, prosperity will increase in Wisconsin....because Walker is eyeballing the state retirement system.

Keep voting for dickweed. All he cares about is big business, not little people.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Larger corporations have more to fear than small businesses. How many small businesses do you know have unions? There's strength in numbers. Large corporations will do what ever they can to keep workers from organizing. I've worked for many unionized and non union shops. I've worked in corporate management and I know what it's like to own a small business. So I'm well aware of the perspective from every position. There's plenty of waste and greed at the top of any corporation. Anyone who has ever held that high up of a position can relate to it. If you deny it, you're lying. The bigger the corporation the more waste.

The majority of businesses don't pay their workers livable wages, period. Just look at the service industry. You don't think corporations like Walmart or McDonald's can afford to offer their workers a livable wage?

We continue to attack the hard work and sweat of workers who made this country strong. What is wrong with corporations appreciating their dedication, hard work and loyalty? I remember when starting out in the work force, corporations expected loyalty. As soon as the company was facing hard times they immediately cut workers instead of cutting the pay of their CEO's and upper management. They wanted loyalty from the worker, but yet they would turn around and spit them out in a blink of an eye.

Their mentality and their greed for enormous profits hasn't changed. It's laughable to think that people who believe if unions would not exist that the standard of living would stay the same. At the same time, large corporations who are paying livable wages up north are moving their manufacturing facilities down south for lower wages. They're outsourcing jobs over seas for lower wages and even undercutting non-union low paying service jobs to companies in India and Mexico! Farming in America is at its lowest its ever been. We used to be the "Bread Basket of the World," now corporations are paying farmers in Mexico and Brazil to supply our fruits and vegetables. At the same time the quality of products have declined and some of our food and products have become toxic.

Why does everyone turn a blind eye to this??? Stop blaming the poor guy on the street just trying to get by, and start focusing your attention on the greed of corporations in this country. It's all around you! Talk about being sheepish.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join