It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world’s new superhero: Captain China!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
or ... Meet the China Knockoff Superhero: Captain China!

So a Captain America Knockoff has emerged out of a Florida based independent publisher called Excel Comics written by Chi Wang and Jim Lai.

Offbeat China Story

volume 1 “The Return of Captain China”, which, according to introduction on Amazon, tells the story of how Captain China recovered from his 50 years of sleep and saved Obama from being assassinated.

Captain China has a body typical of an American superhero (Honestly, no ones really looks like Chinese in the book), wears a costume made from China’s national flag and a hat that is modified from police cap in China. His weapon is a Mauser pistol that was widely used by the Red Army during World War II.

Also, on micgadget Chi Wang, the creator of "Captain China" took an interest in the article "Meet the China Knockoff Superhero: Captain China" on the site and made some comments himself ...

Chi Wang 3 days ago
You still have some misinformed information. The author Chi Wang is a Taiwan-born Chinese who immigrated to America and then became a citizen. He does not admire communism, he just thought it offers a unique cultural environment to tell an interesting superhero story.

You also need to remove that download link immediately from your above posting because I happen to be the creator and owner of Captain China and Excel Comics. Otherwise, Amazon will be informed of this copyright leak and they (on my behalf) will bring legal actions to this site.

Thanks!
Source

I wonder what China thinks about this ...

The biggest fun of reading the comic is the crash between a Mao era mind that has been programmed to fight the evil Americans and the modern China thinking that is struggling to globalize. For example, when explaining to Captain China why he has to change his name, someone from the Chinese government says: “This country [China] is trying to embrace capitalism. ‘Captain China’ is much more easily marketed to the public than ‘The Liberator’.”

Also wondering if Marvel Comics will/can or care enough to sue?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
On what grounds would Marvel or DC have the right to sue? The would have to show what character they are ripping off.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
So which way does this guy go?

Does Captain China go around forcing abortions on Chinese citizens who already have one child OR does he go the other way and actually be a superhero ... finding a way to release the 1/2 million Chinese citizens who are in prison without charge and without trial?

Is he a superhero to the government (making him a supervillian) or a superhero to the people?

I can't figure it out.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I am no lawyer but Captain China is obviously a Captain America Knockoff in name, outfit and background story. In a world where companies are suing each other over IP, similar sounding names and products ... I wouldn't be surprised.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Ha ha, I like it!

It's funny, it's cheeky with an undertone of struggle and change.

I don't see a problem with it, nor should marvel.

Too damn serious corporate types, it's comics for G's sake

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Good questions, he saved Obama from assassination in Vol. 1 guess we will have to wait for more to see ...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Threegirls

I agree about the "serious corporate types", is getting pretty ridiculous all the back and forth suing going on between corporations over everything but they still do it regardless ...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tazkven

I am no lawyer but Captain China is obviously a Captain America Knockoff in name, outfit and background story. In a world where companies are suing each other over IP, similar sounding names and products ... I wouldn't be surprised.

Neither Marvel or DC owns the word captain. Captain China was in cryogenic stasis Captain America was in suspended animation frozen in a iceberg. Captain America until recently never carried a weapon and killed people except during the war. When suing over comics you have to prove without a show of a doubt that it is a rip off. Some leeway is given when creating characters because if it wasn't there would only be a handful comic characters. Because many of them share similar origins. Look at Captain Britain he could have been called a rip off of Captain America but no lawsuits came after his creation.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Captain Britain was published by Marvel though ...

The character was initially intended to be a British equivalent of Captain America.

Source

Seems as if Captain China is also intended to be the Chinese equivalent of Captain America.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Marvel should sue I was just wondering if they would try based on the similarities.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Captain China it is!!! Captain America has been DONE ever since they started making his costume in china. Due to China's total lack of quality and cheap material in his clothing, he wont even get out of bed anymore to fight the good battle due to his clothing tearing off and wearing out so fast.

Captain China is our new super hero. We SOLD Captain America out. SOLD HIM OUT.

TRAITORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

Why is it that Asians always look caucasian in these comics or animations eventhough they are created by other asians. Why would the creator of Captain China (Knockoff) make his character European looking when Kato (Green Hornets Butler), Brue Lee and Jet Lee (who all were/are awesome) would be a better candidate image for his creation.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Well Capitan China and the avengers. I cannot wait.

Do you think on the back of his clothes he will have a label that says 'made in china' ?

I hope he does, that will describe him the most. I cannot read in chinese. But Obama seems pleased...Who knows.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
i dont know why that was so funny to me, its either the fact of how blatantly the creators ripped off captain america or how the artists caricature obama.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tazkven

Captain Britain was published by Marvel though ...

The character was initially intended to be a British equivalent of Captain America.

Source

Seems as if Captain China is also intended to be the Chinese equivalent of Captain America.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Marvel should sue I was just wondering if they would try based on the similarities.

It doesn't matter if they are published by the same company because the artist are different. And most artist now hold the rights to their creations.

They may try to sue but seeing how the comic is in Chinese they may not waste their time.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
So which way does this guy go?

Does Captain China go around forcing abortions on Chinese citizens who already have one child OR does he go the other way and actually be a superhero ... finding a way to release the 1/2 million Chinese citizens who are in prison without charge and without trial?

Is he a superhero to the government (making him a supervillian) or a superhero to the people?

I can't figure it out.

Hmm? I don't know about that why don't we take a look at Captain America?

Does he go around spreading democracy by the aim of a gun?
edit on 5-6-2012 by CrimsonKapital because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-6-2012 by CrimsonKapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Doing a little more research about Chi Wang, it appears he has done some work for Marvel Comics in the past.

Maybe he has permission to use Captain America's likeness in his comics, who knows ...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I think this is fun.

It's no different than the story of Superman landing in the Soviet Union or the character of Captain Britain.

You Americans are just getting in a flap because it's Captain China (oh no!
)
edit on 5/6/12 by Kram09 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/6/12 by Kram09 because: typos

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Captain Britain

Rocket Red

Union Jack

Maybe you should look at

www.internationalhero.co.uk...

Whats all the fuss? Is national fervor and "patriotism" only allowed in the USA?

American is part of the world. The world is NOT America.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Captain Britain

Rocket Red

Union Jack

Maybe you should look at

www.internationalhero.co.uk...

Whats all the fuss? Is national fervor and "patriotism" only allowed in the USA?

American is part of the world. The world is NOT America.

No, if your talking to me, I never said or implied patriotism was only allowed in the States.

My points were that its an obvious Captain America knockoff and if Marvel could/would or even have grounds to sue and also wondered what China would think of the character saving Obama from an Assassination attempt and going from a "Mao era mind that has been programmed to fight the evil Americans" to a "modern China thinking that is struggling to globalize" and the theme "that China is trying to embrace capitalism" also the plot where the "Chinese government hires a thief to put on a performance to show Captain China’s great power. But Captain China disappoints his government by shooting, instead of beating, the thief to death" and then the part where "Chinese officials, (said the incident) makes China look bad in front of international press. Afterwards, Captain China is told to take out all bullets from his Mauser".

Captain Britain was made to be the British equivalent of Captain American but was published by Marvel, Union Jack was also published by Marvel. Rocket Red was published by DC.

Captain China is published by Excel Comics by Chi Wang, who used to work for Marvel Comics ...
edit on 5-6-2012 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

The German band Ramstein believes "We all live in Amerika":

Lol..... Of course I'm being sarcastic. I do actually agree with what you are saying, still love the message that the above video makes.
edit on 5-6-2012 by iwan2ski because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-6-2012 by iwan2ski because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join