It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do any of you KNOW The Lord? Seriously

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX
Okay... this thread is based on your opinions.

Yeah, I know the guy.

He's the guy that still says to give to "Caesar" even though that guy died millennia ago...and didn't provide even when he lived!

Sorry about that.
world view kinda stinks atm
edit on (6/5/1212 by loveguy because: (no reason given)

edit on (6/5/1212 by loveguy because:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Oh no, thats not the reason I don't worship The Lord. Simply put I just don't believe in fairy tales. There is absolutely nothing dangerous about my logic because it's not something I dwell on. I never ridicule my friends for their beliefs. That's the lovely thing about living in a free country is we are all free to believe in whatever we want. I think dangerous logic is believeing in an invisible man in the sky who loves you, but demands that you worship only him or else he gets mad & spanks you & the sends you to hell for all eternity even though he loves you! All the wars fought & people killed in the name of their god is far worse than me not believing in the invisible man in the sky!

Modern man has existed for about 200,000 years & Christianity 2000. What happened to all the folks who lived & died before Christianity who never knew the Lord? Are they just screwed & damned to hell?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Do you think the word of God is still here on this earth

Yes...

Look in Matthew, Mark, Luke, John... and Thomas.

Plus theres hints of his word in various Gnostic texts as well...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX
Basically what I'm saying here is this... How much of the original word of God do we actually have?

What the 'Word' is for:

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

What knowing the Lord means:

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

How knowing the Lord is done:

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.

Christianity summed up in five verses. The question of canon is of secondary importance.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

and I believe so because the Holy Bible has had more impact and influence on every society and in every religion of every generation than any other influence known to mankind

Some book has to take that title right? I mean there has to be one literary or mythological work to be the most influential right? And simply because it's the Bible that somehow lends the book some legitimacy? This is a brand of logical fallacy known as an argument from popularity, however even if we were to momentarily accept the idea that a books popularity and influence has bearing on whether it's contents were true than most of the “most true” books would be religious or mythological in nature. What would top the list, The Bible, the Koran, the Iliad, Harry Potter perhaps?

You must first pre-establish that there is a connection between influence, popularity, and the truth and thus far in human history I have not seen that connection.

Basically what I'm saying here is this... How much of the original word of God do we actually have?

As near as I can tell, a grand total of NONE. Though if there is a God and said God is loving I'd say the Bible can be stripped down to the “Love thy neighbor” commandment and the Golden Rule. It would certainly clear up the confusion of a loving God damning people to Hell, endorsing slavery, and slaughtering the first born children of Egypt for Pharaoh’s sin to just have those actual GOOD verses in the so-called GOOD book.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TopherWayne

Oh no, thats not the reason I don't worship The Lord. Simply put I just don't believe in fairy tales. There is absolutely nothing dangerous about my logic because it's not something I dwell on. I never ridicule my friends for their beliefs. That's the lovely thing about living in a free country is we are all free to believe in whatever we want. I think dangerous logic is believeing in an invisible man in the sky who loves you, but demands that you worship only him or else he gets mad & spanks you & the sends you to hell for all eternity even though he loves you! All the wars fought & people killed in the name of their god is far worse than me not believing in the invisible man in the sky!

God doesn't punish if you don't believe in Him, and He sends you to hell as much as a judge sends a convicted man to prison. You were asking for it, not because you didn't believe in Him, but for all your wicked deeds.

Let me ask you, who's closest to you? Whoever it is, a parent, a sibling, a friend, a spouse even - imagine they were brutally murdered. Now, they caught the man who did it, but he stood in front of the judge and said, "Hey, I know I killed someone, but it was just one person - one crime. What about all my good deeds? I help the poor and the sick, maybe you could just set me free?"

And the judge obliges.

Tell me, is this a good or a bad judge? You'd be insane to call him a good judge. He's a terrible one. Now, God being a righteous and fair judge, will send those who commit sins to hell - unfortunately that's everyone. Except, God loves us too much for that, so He made a way that you can bypass judgement - forgiveness. He'll erase our debt, if you only believed.

Modern man has existed for about 200,000 years & Christianity 2000.

First of all, "modern" man can not have existed for 200,000 years, that's a fallacy - modern man has only existed for about 6,000 years. Someone living 200,000 years ago was not considered "modern" by.. modern standards.

And, this is all assuming the Earth is older than 6,000, which I don't believe it is. There's too much evidence to suggest it is- too many limiting age factors that exist that can't place the Earth longer than such a date.

Of course you will just accuse me of believing all of this because "a book tells me so", yet it's those same books and articles written by "men with authority" that tell you the world is 4.6 billion years old.

What happened to all the folks who lived & died before Christianity who never knew the Lord? Are they just screwed & damned to hell?

They went to 'purgatory' - the two chambers, one for the wicked, and one for the "righteous" - When Christ died, he went to the chambers and spread the Word - those who believed in him went to Heaven, those who didn't, to hell. Equal chance.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Validating Your Point
I do know the Lord Jesus Christ. You are right about the loss of meaning through translation. This is why I have been learning Hebrew for the last 2 years. As an example, the English word "hell" was translated from three different words in the original text; “Tartarus,” “Gehenna,” and “Hades.” Each one of those words have separate meanings in the original text.

How I Know Jesus.
The Bible is the most complex book I have ever read. Just because someone does not understand some parts of it, does not make it false. Notice how Jesus lived by the Law of God. Every encounter He had with people, He would speak the law first and then tell them how to live by it. When we all take the law and compare ourselves against it, we fall short. If we have committed one sin, then that is enough to damn us. The good news is that Jesus paid the fines of sin for us. All we have to do is accept Him, believe in Him, confess Him with our mouths, be baptized in the Holy Spirit and repent of our sins.

One thing is for sure. We should not judge Jesus by the failings of some of His followers. People are weak in the flesh and fail all the time concerning the law of God. It is upon us to stay focused on Him. To seek him continually so that we may be found worthy to be in heaven with Him and Father God.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

I can promise you that you have next to NOTHING of the original text. Therefore, if you claim to "know the Lord" by what you've read in the bible, then you don't know "him" at all.

By the way, the "Lord" is an "it," and it doesn't expect worship. Only the weak fall to their knees...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

"I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God and they shall be My people. None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them." Hebrews 8:10

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

And, this is all assuming the Earth is older than 6,000, which I don't believe it is.

Oh wait, you are being serious.

There are written texts that are older than 6000 years in my culture and several other cultures go beyond that.

For you to claim the Earth is no older than 6000 years is to be blind to those facts and extremely insulting towards other people and their cultures. But then again, religious folk such as yourself do not rely on fact or truth as you are blind to facts and truth through your zealotry. And as such...we have been warned for the blind trying to lead the blind.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte

Don't read a Roman Catholic Bible, then. The Christian Bible (specifically the KJV) is the accurate one, and has not been affected as much as you would think.

The books that were removed are also not in the KJV. Also, The Roman Catholic Church are the ones who made the bible, they edited writing in the original Greek and then they put it with the Hebrew texts and this is the basis that all use for translation. So, don't make it seem like Roman is a different religion when ALL Christianities come from it.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
You have ascerted your GOD is the only one. Others in the MILLIONS know other Gods. Are you not addressing them?

And, many ATS members here have other Gods or no God.

Just a point. You need to be specific....or get a half-a---d answer!
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Oh do shut up, everyone on this thread is stupid, people will believe what they believe you cannot change their mind, no matter how many facts you give them or arguments you have.

The majority of people who believe in a religion have been brainwashed into it usually by family since they were young, these people are lost and not worth trying to help, they can only educate and pull themselves out of it.

Religion is very much like the world around us, it is a business disguised as a savoir of your soul, just like countries and governments are businesses disguised as an entity that wants what is best for you, where the guys at the top earn the most money.

Until people wake up and see themselves and the world for what it is we will always be slaves to some kind of system be it religion or government.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
the lord?

you have free will to do what we tell you the lord says for you to do or you will burn at the stake...
ooops..I mean in hell...

I know that con artist
he doesn't exist except except in brainwashed invention...like a bogey man

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I am willing to accept that 2000 years ago there was a man named Jesus who probably stood for a very good cause, changed the way people thought and was most likely a messiah in certain ways. I do not believe from my experience on this planet so far that he arose from the dead and magically ascended into heaven after showing himself in spirit and leaving a few more messages before he departed.

His message is good and maybe people should do some of the things he says, but again I find some exaggeraton in the story and I find it very hard to believe in some parts. Maybe their is a magical time, era when those feats are possible, but again we will most likely never know.

I do not know anything about god except for what I can see and what has been created. I see the Sun as a god because without it we would simply not exist. A magical man watching over us in the sky is a great Idea, but again more exaggeration. God is what you want it to be, the word god is just a word. You decide what it is, all you can do is use your imagination like some cult figures of the past.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
How much of God's word do we have? I believe we have ENOUGH of the truth. God is wiser than man, no matter how many times man tries to "revise" God's word. This is why the believer has the Holy Spirit...who REVEALS all truth!!!

Now, as far a Jesus being "Lord"...all that means is HE runs your life, and not television, the media or the government. It means you trust HIM with all your heart, soul and mind. When HE says "jump", you just start jumping and don't bother questioning. When God speaks, it should always be: "Yes, Lord!" "I am WILLING"!

Most, if not ALL believers want the Savior, but don't want the "Lord". They have their "Lord". It speaks directly to them. It's name is called: TV

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
i'm a complete nobody i mean i'm not even a has been i'm more like a never was but i have had more of my fair share of personal miracles so much so that the intervention of the divine is the only answer for my experiences. i've had quite a few "he shouldn't be alive" moments and have been as close to dying that i've had 3 separate instances of needing last rites given to me but sadly i don't have any amazing stories of any "go to the light" occurrences and as for your question, no, i don't actually "know" the Lord technically but i do know He's definitely been and is in my life for whatever reason there's something i still need to do i'm guessing. i'm sorry i couldn't give an answer you're looking for but i felt like i needed to share.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
when the lord says JUMP
i say what? you can't jump your self?
of course you can't jump lord - you don't exist ( if you did you'd be a white man
)
well, I don't accept a boss that tells me to do things he wouldn't do himself

like go steal that continent and give me half...its mine.... its my precious.... mine I tell you
MINE!
now go steal it.
edit on 5-6-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by nuttin4nothin
How much of God's word do we have? I believe we have ENOUGH of the truth. God is wiser than man, no matter how many times man tries to "revise" God's word. This is why the believer has the Holy Spirit...who REVEALS all truth!!!

You cannot reveal the entire truth even with the word of god. God does not speak to you, magically appear to you, god is everything in this reality and all we can do is explore, learn more about this reality and benefit from it. At the moment we are not.

Now, as far a Jesus being "Lord"...all that means is HE runs your life, and not television, the media or the government. It means you trust HIM with all your heart, soul and mind. When HE says "jump", you just start jumping and don't bother questioning. When God speaks, it should always be: "Yes, Lord!" "I am WILLING"!

What makes you think that jesus runs your life if you follow or believe? Jesus is not sitting in your home telling you what to do, the words are more of a guideline and you learn what you can from those words that are provided. It is up to you what you do with them.

Most, if not ALL believers want the Savior, but don't want the "Lord". They have their "Lord". It speaks directly to them. It's name is called: TV

T.V is not the lord. T.V is a brain numbing pastime which will suck every last bit of common sense out of any person. If anything, T.V is the lord of darkness which many people will continuely follow for the rest of their lives. It keeps your mind running in idle.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by DEV1L79

Until people wake up and see themselves and the world for what it is we will always be slaves to some kind of system be it religion or government.

LOL! If you were as smart and educated as you seem to think you are, you'd know by the history of the world's existence that it's not humanly possible to change it for any length of time before history starts repeating itself due to imperfect human nature. Wake up!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join