It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sometimes it is the subtle things.

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
So browsing around on the Huff and Fluff (Huffington Post) headlines I picked up something subtle in the article about Pakistan getting upset about the Drone strikes that seem to be on an increase and are upsetting them.

ISLAMABAD, June 4 (Reuters) - Pakistan on Monday strongly condemned a jump in U.S. drone strikes on its territory, using language that could increase tension between strategic allies already in dispute over military supply routes for NATO that Pakistan has closed. Three drone strikes in as many days on suspected militants have killed 27 people, Pakistani intelligence officials say. The foreign ministry called the attacks "illegal" and said they violated the South Asian country's sovereignty. Washington and Islamabad are deadlocked in negotiations over the re-opening of overland supply routes to NATO forces in Afghanistan. Islamabad blocked the supply routes in November after 24 Pakistani soldiers were killed by cross-border "friendly fire" from NATO aircraft. The supply lines are considered vital to the planned withdrawal of most foreign combat troops from Afghanistan before the end of 2014. The Pakistan government says the CIA drone campaign fuels anti-American sentiment in the country, and is counterproductive because of the collateral damage - civilian deaths - it causes. U.S. officials say such strikes by the remotely piloted aircraft are a highly effective way of attackling militants and are an important weapon in the war against militancy.

Did you guys see it? No it was not the obvious typos. It was the last half of the last sentence.

important weapon in the war against militancy.

I may be jumping off a ledge here or I may have just spotted something subtle and insidious. With the lack of terror attacks in the USA are the Media Makers changing the "War on Terror" to a War on Militancy?

Militants are a lot easier to find these days, even domestically.......

Now linking the sauce. Found these headlines links with a quick search.

world-news.yoexpert.com... Posted by "Anonymous"

www.rferl.org...

in.reuters.com...

blogs.tribune.com.pk...

www.dailymotion.com...

edit on 4-6-2012 by Mamatus because: Adding some additioanl quick finds.

edit on 4-6-2012 by Mamatus because: Added Some "Sauce". Sorry should have done that first.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Great find, Star for you.

You get your flag when you link the sauce! plz

- And frankly, who could blame them for being pissed. The whole concept of war and conflict has become so bastardized in this Technological age... Shoot first, ask later.

And a fair trial? Haha, yeah right.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Yeah I think that stands out as a little odd but maybe that is just because I have not seen them use that term in that way before. I am not sure what to make of it but you have a point in pointing it out.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

This current administration has been systematically deconstructing our Constitution. Word choices have been an important factor in silently placing a good number of honest, true Americans, into a potential category of being enemies from within our own borders. It's a very dangerous time to be a Constitution loving American.

I, like Derpest, would like a link to your source...

Des
edit on 4-6-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I did notice that phrasing. I also note that the US is doing something that it likes to do while conducting "negotiations": It's punishing the hell out of that country's citizens while making demands of the government. Now I wonder why there would be an increase in "militancy"?

This country (the US) is sick and getting sicker. My fears for the future are getting daily more worrisome....

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I added some links to my existing post. I found enough instances just searching "War on Militancy" to make me think that ledge may not have been that far off the ground. Should have put in a few more but it is the end of my day and my brain is fried. Probably why I saw it in the first place

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
can you imagine the american government allowing russian drone strikes to find chechen rebels hiding in new york.

imagine a scenario where russian intelligence agents find a high priority chechen getting into a cab during rush hour in manhattan and ordering a strike in the middle of the day.

then blowing up half a block in the process. then reporting to the world that 15 militants were killed.

when in fact there was only one.

what country on earth would tolerate that.

then imagine 14 of those "militants" had families that swore revenge on russia.

drone strikes are terrorist generators. for every one terrorist killed, ten are created.

edit on 4-6-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
the should ban it like they ban napalm ,but it won't happen untill later on , when we have vets from both sides talking about the war and how it changed their lives ,

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

There's no way. The goverment and the American people would flip out. How we justify bombing a sovereign nation and not think there will be consiquences is beyond me. I would be livid if it happened here. And then have the ( male body parts ) to call them allies.

As to the millitancy aspect, There will be two words you will start to hear more and more. Domestic terrorist. Now that the plate has been set with a multitude of acts that remove our constitutional freedoms not only will it be plausable to attack Americans, It will be legal. If you can kill Americans over seas who are suspected terrorist, ( no conviction, just a closed door meeting ) Then how long before a Freeman compound in Texas are a seperatist group's compound in Montana becomes open game? Why tract through the woods and spend the money to arrest them, then try them, when one drone strike takes care of it all.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by David134

Militants are so much easier to find than terrorists. Gotta win the war on something. If the definition is being re-written overseas, it is a matter of time before it will be re-written here.

"Global Warming" became "Climate Change". Change the words and repeat them enough and people will eventually forget the old words and go with the new reality. So darn Orwellian.....

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

S & F Great find!

I haven't heard this anywhere else and will be curious which MSM source will be the first discovered having trolled ATS for a news story.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Good pickup, OP. "The war against militancy," huh? I wonder how long it will be before they broaden their definition and don't only (drone) target armed militants but take it to mean any people who behave in a militant manner? Militancy does not have to include the use of phyical violence... In some ways, even the Mahatma (Ghandi) was a militant.

But there's another wrinkle in that passage you quoted and in fact, at first I thought it was what you were expecting us to notice:

Washington and Islamabad are deadlocked in negotiations over the re-opening of overland supply routes to NATO forces in Afghanistan. Islamabad blocked the supply routes in November after 24 Pakistani soldiers were killed by cross-border "friendly fire" from NATO aircraft. The supply lines are considered vital to the planned withdrawal of most foreign combat troops from Afghanistan before the end of 2014.

(Bolding mine.) Source (1 of many; OP has listed some as well): Dawn [dot] com: Pakistan condemns US drone strikes

Well, ain't that interesting? If those supply lines/routes are not re-opened, the planned withdrawal is not going to happen on schedule. And these ongoing drone strikes are not likely to encourage Pakistan's leaders to open those routes.

Who gains an advantage if there is a delay?

Do I sense wheels within wheels within wheels here? Is it possible that Pakistan wants these drone strikes to continue, but has to make a public outcry to satisfy its own people? Or is it possible that the US would prefer the withdrawal to be delayed, so it continues these drone attacks to achieve that end?

Or is there another reason entirely?

Just a final comment: I agree that if such attacks were done in or by most other countries the outcry would be massive and the attacks themselves would rightly be seen as acts of war. It's a rather Orwellian case of some nations being more equal than others.

Mike

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

This is indeed a complex mess. Personally I would like nothing more than to see the USA running out of Afghanistan with our tail tucked right under our butts. I am past caring about the Middle East and petty wars. IMHO it is all about the war profits.

Wars used to affect the civilian population in a much more direct manner. Now days people trip about the Country doing all kinds of fun things, not caring a bit we are at war. Not like the big wars of the past that involved everyone.

The time is coming though I think everyone feels it.

Meanwhile if they are changing the war on terror to a war on militancy it is only a matter of time before anyone with a "militant attitude of too much stored ammo or food will be declared a militant, by their neighbors....

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
just to point out the fact that the quote is from a pakistani official , not american

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
That's how it's done. Good eye. It wasn't impulsive of you to have given this change in the music it's own thread.

Always appreciated, as it would have been lost in the mix.

There should be single quotation marks surrounding 'change in music' ^^^

*roof creaks*

Anyone starting to see why 'one world' is not such a great idea?

They're acting like they've got it... all sewn up.

edit on 6-6-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join