It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is RT (Russia Today - cable news network) a legitimate non-propaganda news network?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

A Russian "News" program that reports exclusively on everyone else and esp focuses on the US is in no way in your opinion a conflict of interest as far as "Unbiased reporting" say with regards on Iran and or Syria?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jefwaneOne thing about both that earned my respect while the MSM lost it, is the lack of fluff you see on their programs. No celebrity news or petty crime stuff. Also I've found that RT actually let's their guests talk without interrupting.

If the MSM had the credibility that it had fifteen or twenty years ago, no one would care what either had to say. I've watched RT and Al-J slowly build their credibility as the MSM pissed it away. I blame the consolidation of a once much more vibrant international press corps into the hands of only a few entities along with an apathetic public that cares more about some pop culture phenom or mom kills kid case than issues of public importance.

So I guess I believe that RT is a legitimate network.

Hear, hear... many good points.

While I do detect at times that things are "off", or that attention may not be directed where it is most important, it is refreshing to hear some honesty on some points. They let people who would ordinarily never have the time of day speak freely and you can get some genuine insight into some matters.

I am surprised they were even let into the US networks and cable outlets which was part of my suspicion.

Unlike other news networks, I find myself turning them on every day to hear the news even if sometimes narrow in scope.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Yes a wise person can use that disinfo and perhaps find the truth. So are we in the same boat now? RT is not immune from propoganda? Considering they only focus attention in certain places, how can you find them to be unbiased? They are the definition.
edit on 4-6-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Error, oops
edit on 4-6-2012 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nOraKat

To the thread title

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by nOraKat

To the thread title

Wow u so fast!

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
Right. Every network is spreading some form of propaganda. By definition everyone is spreading information with an agenda of some sort. But if you understand that agenda, and use it to your own benefit, then disinfo can become valueable information.

Right

But, you can't sit there and tell me you haven't seen people on these boards and elsewhere eat up obvious propaganda bits from the BBC, FOX, CNN, PressTV
and yes RT just to name a few as if it's manna from heaven.

That's the problem. Many people cant distinguish the difference and most of those are not even aware there is a difference

Well, to that end, I think the responsibility falls on the individual to make their own judgement.

At the same time, foreign news agencies don't mind airing our dirty laundry. That's why they can often break stories or expose corruption externally. They aren't bogged down by "concequences."

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nOraKat

I think this sums it up for me...

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Again, the resposibility may fall on the reader, but that does not mean RT is balanced fair or propaganda proof. That they only focus on exposing others issues sort of screams propaganda.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
In my opinion if I wanna know whats really going on here (North America) I go to RT or PressTV because they do tell us about the BS our government pulls

When I wanna know about other countries short comings and dirt. I go to CNN and FOX as they are more than happy to expose all but there own, while only reporting fluff on the States, or running only with the most sensational story of the day.

I find if you peace them all together you get some where close, to some truths, all depends on what is your point of view. I just feel saddened by the fact, that we all can't say that there is one news agency. that actual tells the truth, and not just about countries not there own.

SaneThinking

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I watch RT probably more than any other News source [Which isn't really saying much since I hardly turn on the TV] but I'll say this for them they do have the hottest looking anchor gals around.

Well almost the hottest. Has anybody here seen some of the South American News channels.

Those Gals are smokin' hot.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Why did that chick turn me on? Oh right shes crazy.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I like how we both went off topic because women.

ETA there is a Mexican restraunt I go to that always has the tv on.
When those news gals are on. Its hard for me to eat when I cant close my mouth.
edit on 4-6-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I watch RT probably more than any other News source [Which isn't really saying much since I hardly turn on the TV] but I'll say this for them they do have the hottest looking anchor gals around.

Well almost the hottest. Has anybody here seen some of the South American News channels.

Those Gals are smokin' hot.

Yes like, Alyona:

And they're so much smarter than foxnews bimbo's.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by nOraKat

I think this sums it up for me...

Wow, sic.. talkin about human meatballs...

If they let somebody like that speak openly, who can they possibly reject?

At least they're open minded (or have a sense of humor).. for all we know she could be right. (or a crazy Californian)
edit on 4-6-2012 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nOraKat

I think they troll her for fun which I find hysterical. Pretty sure Ive seen Colleen on RT a few times. Oh yeah one was when there was a mass bird die off.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nOraKat

From what I've seen of it, I think they actually do cover a lot of stories that you won't find on any of our (US) mainstream "news" shows.

Are they biased?... no doubt. Most if not all news stations are biased towards and against certain things.

But I will say this, I've got RT on my roku and they have AMAZING documentaries on there. Worth watching. And completely free.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
As a member of the media myself, and a friend of several people at RT, here is how I would answer the questions regarding their validity:

Are they biased?
Yes, but only in so far as any media outlet is biased. The difference between the bias at RT and that of say CNN, FNC or MSNBC is in the ownership. The big three American 24/7s are owned by corporations, Time Warner, Newscorp and Comcast/General Electric (through NBC Universal) respectively. RT is much more like the BBC or Al Jazeera, in that it is a state-sponsored media outlet that is supposedly separate from the state government and answerable to the consumer directly. That is not entirely always the case but it is the way it is supposed to work. As such, RT is supposed to be biased toward the consumer, instead of a corporate owner, and that, I for one believe they serve well as a counterpoint to corporate news in the United States.

Are they legitimate?
Yes. RT is as legitimate as any other 24/7 cable news outlet in the United States market. They have a wider field of opinion as well. They will give airtime to many people that other networks will not, even sometime very fringe elements. This is a good thing in my opinion but also one that the viewer must take into account.

Are they Kremlin propaganda?
Sometimes. RT bends more to the political whims in Russia than say BBC does to the ones in the UK. However, any international news source will always do a degree of flag waving. Americans would be interested to see how their companies behave in other nations as well. What this means for the viewer in my opinion is the same as it does for any other media outlet of any kind: Be informed! Getting all of one's news from any single source is problematic, finding opposing viewpoints is always good and while RT may sometimes preach the glory of Mother Russia, there are tons of other sources that will dispute them.

Are the sensationalist?
Yes, but unlike American 24/7 cable news outlets they are honest about it. The Alyona Show for instance has stated time and again that it is an opinion an analysis show and that much of it is in fact the personal viewpoint of Ms. Minkovski. Try pulling an admission like that out of Sean Hannity or Rachel Madow without a threatened court action.

Are they going to tell you relevant news and opinion?
This depends on what you are looking for. For the ATS audience I'd be more inclined to say yes. RT focuses more coverage on international affairs and other global issues than the big three and much less on entertainment news. If you are looking for who is marrying whom in Hollywood, I'd suggest the E! channel.

Are they worth watching?
For all of the above reasons, a resounding yes in the opinion of this American educated British journalist.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

RT, previously known as Russia Today, is a government-funded global multilingual television news network based in Russia. It was founded in 2005 as Russia Today by the government-owned RIA Novosti.

Government-funded new network founded by a state-owned news agency.

Sounds trustworthy to me.

An article published in The New Republic by James Kirchick characterized the news reportage of Russia Today as, "virulent anti-Americanism, worshipful portrayal of Russian leaders, and comical production values," that "can't help but revive the pettiness that was a distinctive feature of Soviet-era propaganda."

en.wikipedia.org...

As mentioned already in this thread though, it is nice to get some bits of truth from the other side.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
RT claims to be a truth telling, non propaganda news station.
Its the truth as they see it. but as with any news there are two sides of the story most of the time and RT has there side they want out there and many times they use guest that "just happens" to have the same view point as Russia wants.

They don't bring in both sides unless they have a very good speaker that has there view and a bad speaker to speak for the other side and can blind side that speaker.
But then again the US media does the same thing.

Propaganda does not have to be blatant it can be very subtle.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join