It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

coffee anyone?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Saw this on Yahoo today. I heard it helped with alzheimers but didn't know it could keep it from forming.

"A 2010 study in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease found that when researchers gave caffeinated coffee to mice genetically engineered to develop Alzheimer's disease, the disease either slowed in progression or never developed. Based on the finding, coffee eventually could serve as a therapeutic treatment for people with Alzheimer's disease, the researchers said."

I see it was performed on mice so this may help me.

Here's the site. www.myhealthnewsdaily.com...

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the off site box to put info in. Maybe in another year.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Well, more evidence to show coffee is good for you. Although this is a study of Japanese people who are not the same as us so this evidence won't be verified in America for five years and ten million bucks later

www.sciencedaily.com...

In the meantime the scientists doing the research will drink a lot of coffee.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Hey RM
I have been using nice colombian beans as I grind them, with very nice well water, some cream, some sugar...
addicted?
LOL
don't care

never thought I even liked coffee till I bought a grinder

helps the vaccine generated adult onset allergies throatlok somewhat...
counteracts the 420 blahs too

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

We get Hills Bros. usually when it is on sale. Stock a minimum of five cans in case the price spikes. I think that all coffee drinkers should have a minimum of two months supply in stock.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Mmmmm.... Coffee!!!! Oh, yes I've been a fan since I took my first sip around age 5. If my mother had not brewed a fresh pot in the morning, I certainly didn't mind helping myself. Coffee and dry breakfast cereal, the breakfast of champions! And yes I drank it strait black even back then. Now my daughters feel all "special" when we sit down for breakfast. They get to have coffee (mostly milk with a splash of very strong black coffee) after they finish eating and we have our "coffee talk" before school. They rarely even drink it. It's just funny watching how grown-up and lady like they suddenly become once they get that mug in their hands. Too cute!

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com... Well, it protects the liver too. It's funny, I remember when they said it was bad for the liver.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
More good news about regular coffee. www.sciencedaily.com...

I should update this every time I see some good effects about coffee. I should also update it when I see negative research I suppose. Coffee isn't for everyone.

There are some bad effects if coffee is over consumed though and also if it prepared improperly. I guess when it is done like in a french press or when super fine particles are present, it has some negative effects. A coffee filter can get rid of these effects. These effects are arthritic increases from inflammation. Occasionally though, having unfiltered coffee is good for you because some of the chemicals can help you with other things. Like once every week is probably fine. Moderation is the clue. Too strong a coffee is also problematic if you drink a lot, I would suggest a weaker than normal coffee. This way you can drink more without side effects

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
OK..... a new study on the protective properties of coffee and cigarettes on a liver disorder. www.sciencedaily.com...

I wonder how common this disorder is. It said that the two could delay the development for ten years.

I suppose this just helps to neutralize some of the known bad effects of cigarettes. I personally do not think cigarettes are as bad as they make them out to be. That is if you smoke less than ten a day.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

Caffeine itself can help you think. Who would have thought this. It has been listed as a nootropic for a while already. It is an adjuvant, it makes things work better.

I was told by the doctor to give up caffeinated coffee years ago because of my Tachychardia. I think they wanted me to be visiting them more. Caffeine actually has little effect on my tachychardia. I have always had low blood volume, and my body makes up for this by speeding the heartrate. This is not the same kind of tachychardia others have though, it is a hereditary condition that I had on my fathers side.

The problem I was having with the beat going irregular is a different diet controlled problem. I had episodes and they scared me. It was more of an afib event, foods containing leucine need to be consumed and also adequate magnesium. Leucine regulates the nitrogen balance.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Well tachycardia is one of those issues that makes drinking coffee potentially dangerous. My ex had to give up coffee due to it. It made her heart race really really fast.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I love the stuff and am an admitted coffee snob. I only like the good stuff, freshly-ground and made with water from the well, a spoon of sugar and nice splash of half-and-half. I don't mind it black if it's good coffee but I remember reading that a bit of cream was a good addition and I enjoy the creamy feel of it.
The best coffee I've ever had was on a small coffee farm in the Blue Mountains of Jamaica brewed from beans that had barely cooled from the roasting.
Like a lot of other folks my first experience with coffee goes back to my grandmother. She mixed about half coffee, half milk for her morning drink while mine was somewhat weaker on the coffee side but always in a lovely china cup and saucer. My grandfather never drank coffee or tea so it was something that Mammy and I shared.
In my years of running an archaeology field school and living on-site with my students I always warned them on the first day: "If you have to come and wake me for a problem needing solving, your best approach is to have a cup of coffee in your hand when you come to the tent." Those who heeded this warning got a much better outcome.

I thought the article on coffee and cigarettes was interesting. They were so much a part of the society in my growing up years. Neither of my parents smoked cigarettes but Daddy enjoyed his pipe or cigar after dinner each night. We had ashtrays and matches on all the tables for those who did smoke. Sitting around the kitchen table drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes, perhaps playing a few hands of cards---was the way we socialized.
When my father's family (he had 12 siblings) got together in winter, the air would be thick with smoke because I think every one of them smoked some sort of tobacco product and they all loved their coffee! And in thinking about it....none of them died of lung cancer and 10 of the 13 lived beyond 74 years, up to 87 years. Of course, they grew up eating food they had raised or hunted themselves, not something packed into a bag and shoved out a take-out window.

Thanks for the post, it brought back a lot of really fine memories of sharing a cup of coffee with friends.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
more information about coffee as related to diabetes. Seems that coffee can lower your risk of type 2 diabetes. I suppose it is dependent on a lot of things though, if you're drinking coffee you aren't sucking down a coke. The thing is though, decaf didn't change the risk at all www.sciencedaily.com...
edit on 25-4-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Here is an article that might be important to some with their skin. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Go down to the discussion area and check out the absorption and and health effects of caffeic acids. Now caffeic acid is found in some foods, it is not limited to coffee alone. The last sentence of the first paragraph sums up the fact that caffeic acid can be chemoprotective against skin cancer.
edit on 7-4-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The biggest thing with coffee is that it is roasted. That is a huge problem. Raw coffee is chock FULL of anti-oxidants. They have everyone brainwashed to use the "roasted" beans of the plant. Raw coffee is where it's at. Just be careful not to have too much, or you will be racing to the bathroom with loose stools! The other benefit of raw coffee beans is that they actually have less acidity (they are far more alkaline, which I believe is way healthier). I shouldn't give all of my secrets away here, but that is one of my biggest ones! Do your research, and you will find what I say is the truth. All the best, to ATS!

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: InFriNiTee

But, roasting actually makes the Caffeic acid more accessible to the body. It is what forms the taste of coffee.

Both dandelion root and burdock root are high in caffeic acid and people used a lot of that before coffee was discovered. They made tea out of it and they roasted the roots. Even the original root beer was made with roots. We have been consuming caffeic acid for thousands of years, just not coffee.

Roasting of coffee also gets rid of some bad properties it has. These properties aren't bad unless you consume a lot of it, one cup probably wouldn't hurt anyone each day. We learned to roast coffee from the people who used to use it for a thousand years. We just figured a way to do it simpler and put it in cans already ground.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 05:37 AM
link   
well the thing is it vary greatly in positive benefits for everyone, there a spectrum. so its not a one size that fits all you know.

and personally i found different brands to vary greatly in effect, some work some don't. i have yet to figure out exactly why that is.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
A new article emerged from the tornado of new research. It verifies a few things.

www.sciencedaily.com...

The caffeic acid and Cafestol in the coffee both increased the release of insulin. The caffein only had a short term effect. The cafestol increased glucose uptake in the muscles though at about the same rate as some current diabetic drugs do.

So why is there more diabetes today. Maybe it is a simple reason. The paper filters on the drip coffee pots can stop the Cafestol from getting through, they absorb it. So this could be a contributing reason as to why diabetes has increased in the population, we got away from perking it on the stove.

But if you look up cafestol, you find a little more. en.wikipedia.org... Seems like it can raise serum cholesterol levels by around eight to ten percent. Probably a result of increasing muscle energy, during use of muscles, the muscles excrete cholesterol as a biproduct of remodeling. So constant consumption can cause problems also, the levels in the blood of cholesterol rise and if you cannot process it correctly then it increases heart attack risk. That actually makes sense, when everyone perked coffee, there were more heart attacks and less diabetes. So there has to be a happy medium. Maybe cycling between regular coffee with the filter and buying a screen for the coffee pot to use in place of the paper for a couple days a week.

The effect of these two chemicals in coffee is probably the reason people get energy from coffee. The innitial caffeine is a quick buzz, lasting only a short time. Methyl B12 does not give you energy, Cyanocobalamin gives you energy because the cyanide binds to the thyroid and excites it, but it unbalances the adrenal gland because it displaces the iodine. The methyl cobalamin makes you calmer, at least it does to everyone I know who has tried it. This is just an example of how methyl (caffeine) does not actually give us all of the energy in coffee. I get a little buzz from some decafs. But most times the taste kind of makes me feel sick. I have had a few that tasted pretty good though.

The caffeine in coffee does help with fighting alzheimer disease though, it is necessary. Now this methyl can be gotten from other sources while still consuming the decaf. You could consume eggs for breakfast, they contain methylcobalamin and also methylfolate. If you can't break down caffeine because of a epigenetic trait it will give you a rush for hours. Lack of an enzyme is the problem. Just eat something containing adequate niacin and it will neutralize it a little. Like bacon. Don't forget that piece of cinnamon toast to break down the ammonia formed in the blood by neutralizing it, This makes the ammonia turn to uric acid which we pee out. Remember this if you get gout, lowering intake of all of this chemistry can help to alleviate gout which is caused by your kidneys not pulling it out or consumption of too much of this chemistry at the same time. Benzoate or benzoic acid is what is what breaks down the ammonia, don't overeat the cinnamon at one time, moderation is the clue.

Ammonia in the blood is not too much of a problem but too much over a long time can cause problems. So moderate this chemistry by eating foods moderately and cycling things in the diet. Don't eat that whole bag of cinnamon toast by yourself, share it with your company.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

We get Hills Bros. usually when it is on sale. Stock a minimum of five cans in case the price spikes. I think that all coffee drinkers should have a minimum of two months supply in stock.

Try a year....or more. Coffee prices seem cyclical. I easily last through $12.00 a can for coffee with my $6-7 cans. In fact, when coffee spikes, it doesn't faze me in the least. It lasts for years and years. Storing coffee beans in air tight food containers, even better.

The one thing I won't give up ever is coffee.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

originally posted by: rickymouse

Try a year....or more. Coffee prices seem cyclical. I easily last through $12.00 a can for coffee with my $6-7 cans. In fact, when coffee spikes, it doesn't faze me in the least. It lasts for years and years. Storing coffee beans in air tight food containers, even better.

The one thing I won't give up ever is coffee.

Right now, our stock is at ten two pound cans. We have been buying it at good prices on sale, less than 5.99 a can. With this El Nino, there is expected to be a lot of bad weather for growing coffee in South America. So we are trying to buy more for stock when on sale, never letting it get below eight cans now.

We were able to save a lot of money on fluctuations of the price of coffee over the years. Buy cheap and use reserves when it's expensive. Like you said, it lasts for years. I watch the news about possible future food shortages to stretch our dollar and steer our purchases of sale stuff. With our pantry, we have saved more than the value of it. We have a grand worth of stock being rotated in it and if we wanted to we could throw it away and still be ahead. That doesn't include our freezer content, buying on sale has saved us a lot of money over the years.

That reminds me, I haven't been looking at the agriculture and commodity news in over two and a half months. Been busy with other stupid things like taking free college classes online. I am trying to identify more ways that they are conditioning our people in College. The layout of the conditioning is actually designed to make the student assume something is being said yet the instructor does not say what the students think they said. In fact, the instructors sometimes try to tell the students that there are options. But the discussions do not reflect the options. I think people are actually fooling themselves.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I've read coffee is good for liver health, too.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join