It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So whats with SpaceWeather.com showing 2 near earth asteroids dec 31st with stars as names and 0 LD

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Hey so I was looking at spaceweather.com and it has to new near earth asteriods * and ** no names LD 0 for december 31 2012. Is this just a screw up or something or do you think there is more to it? Not trying to cause fear or anything I just find it very strange I have never seen that before. Here is the link to Spaceweather.

spaceweather.com...

What do you guys think? It actually has it posted twice it looks very strange. Maybe they found 2 new ones but they don't have all the info yet? but if so why even post them? It also shows 0 for the size of them also.
edit on 4-6-2012 by LightSource because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
They just added those 2 today, I checked yesterday and they weren't there.
I think they didn't finish putting in the data before they posted it. Kinda weird.

ETA - now there's 4 Dec. 31 0 LD up there. Let's see if they add more, haha.
edit on 4-6-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
No data. Looks like spaceweather's data miner has a bug.
edit on 6/4/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Ya it seemed strange to me I usually check everyday and they we not there yesterday like you said.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I think they're placeholders in the spreadsheet for two new N.E.O.'s.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Interesting find, LightSource!

I guess we will just have to keep checking their graph to see what they plug in. It is kind of weird that they would post that without any data.

Stay tuned!

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by switching yard

Or you could go to their source.
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hi Phage-

I see the link neo.jpl.nasa that you posted only goes until AUG 28 and I don't see a "next" page to view them for later dates. Where is that located on the page?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by switching yard

Or you could go to their source.
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

I don't think it's a coincidence that the top one has an asterisk for a name, the bottom one has two asterisks for a name, and right under the table at JPL's site are one then two asterisks on the final lines.

* Close Approach (CA) Distance is the distance between the Earth center and asteroid center.
** Diameter estimates based on the object's absolute magnitude.

Looks like it tried to grab those as "asteroids" and that's the garbage it spat out.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSource
reply to post by Phage

Hi Phage-

I see the link neo.jpl.nasa that you posted only goes until AUG 28 and I don't see a "next" page to view them for later dates. Where is that located on the page?

You can specify custom search parameters:
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Ahh could very well be thanks for the post ngchunter. I guess time will tell but that does seem like that could very well be what it is strange that it hasn't done that before if that is the case.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Originally posted by LightSource
reply to post by Phage

Hi Phage-

You can specify custom search parameters:
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Again thank you very much for the info

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

They do have 2 for dec 31 but they are very far away 2002 XY4 and 2006 WY2 but I think your answer is a good one.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I wish I knew why Dec. 31st is left blank.

Anyhoo, looks like we'll have a large comet making a close enough pass to see in July. 189p/neat is 7000 meters wide.
info:
tech.groups.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AFewGoodWomen

Very cool thanks for the info. That is a very big rock hope its not anywhere close to us

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Unlikely to be naked eye visible. Maximum magnitude is predicted to be 17.5. Far below the threshold unless something very unexpected occurs. ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...[]
edit on 6/4/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

unless something very unexpected occurs.

That right there is all I want to read

Ohhh i could only hope...
something the size of a mountain Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You mean driving through the livingroom unexpected? Or surprise mother in-law visit unexpected?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandHeretic

I think he's referring to any unexpected outbursts, not that it will suddenly violate the laws of physics and alter its orbit to direct itself towards earth. Comets do experience random outbursts temporarily increasing their brightness from time to time.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This happened again on the 4th & 5th of June, at Spaceweather.com. But when I checked this morning - 6th here in Australia. The links were missing. I thought officials had to triple check before posting this sort of information?? To avoid undue fear. I iniiially thought it was a mistake until I did a search here at ATS & found this and other threads relating to this.

Perhaps its someone having a bit of fun in regards to the whole 2012 thing or NASA wants attention. "What is happening.... What aren't you telling us about * & **??? " or perhaps they are trying to cover something that just won't stay covered. Who knows!?!? But if this was a mistake. Surely They should have fixed it by now. I'm interested ... but ... If there are some things coming on 31 Dec with a 0.0 LD, NASA is not going to tell anyone So Depending on the size & impact zone there wouldn't be much time to do anything, anyway!! I wonder how many more times its happened & noone has noticed it or thought it was a mistake!?!?

Cheers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join