It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concussion means I can't smell my own farts... Gift or handicap?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Well you'll get as much from this thread as you want to know... Either you'll laugh, be interested, or be grossed out- you should be able to figure out how you'll handle this thread.

Ok so about 2 years ago I was playing football and landed upside down and backwards on my head. Well, it isn't hard to understand that resulted in a concussion. The part of my head that was affected was the part that controls how I taste and smell. Well I had a lot of short term effects like lots of headaches and dizziness, mood swings and drowsiness... Anyway another thing that I have experienced has been major changes in how things taste. Potato chips, spaghetti, mint gum, chocolate; all these things that appear to have no commonalities had tasted so much different due to my injury. Well eventually all those things returned to normal but I have had some lingering effects that I am now confident will never return to normal. For example, peanut butter used to be my favorite spread but now isn't even paletteable. Pop corn is something that I can no longer even smell without gagging and coke-cola tastes funny (recipe change maybe but had coincidental timing to do so).

And now, the curiosity that sparks me authoring this thread, is that I can no longer smell flatus! My own especially, has no smell when it definitely should (other people have alerted me). Occasionally I will smell some of the super raunchy ones, but a good 9 times out of 10 I can't smell it at all (definately a perk until you unknowingly let one go around your girlfriend). This fascinates me because animal poop still smells a majority of the time, so what chemical sets apart my poo from animals? I know for a fact that it is not just an impaiment because along woth losing some smells and changing some tastes, i can actually taste some things with more intensity and smell many things that are faint or non-existent to others, including methane and natural gas! Could it be diet related? Does anyone have answers for me, I would be very curious...
edit on 4-6-2012 by PhysicsAdept because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Can you drive through farmland and not smell freshly laid manure? If you can't, I'd consider that a gift.

The way you mention some things have different tastes, none at all or more intense is interesting. Smell and taste are related. Taste relies on smelling, it works together. If you can't smell, you can't taste.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Pull my finger..... we will see if you speak the truth.

Also, I think you would not need a sense of smell to be irritated by flatulence?

I put forward exhibit ‘A’ (my brothers A) his mushroom clouds are so toxic they burn the skin on contact, send you blind and make small furry animals sterile within a 2km radius.

Mickierocksman

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept

Well eventually all those things returned to normal........
Are you sure about that? Isn't it possible that as more time passed, you just became more accustomed to the way that they now taste to you, and maybe they have not actually returned to that 'original' taste?

........Gift or handicap?

Personally, I wouldn't call it a gift. Just because you can't smell those tiny little poop particles, that doesn't mean that you're not still breathing them in through your nose and mouth. The difference now is that you no longer slow down your breathing while being surrounded by possibly millions of tiny poop particles.

Oh, and P.S.:
Don't you start thinking that you're better than everyone else, because your poop don't stink.

edit on 6/4/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Yeah only one part of my brain had bleeding, the part where both smell and taste lie... As for the manure part, cow and horse especially I still smell upon knowledge. I live in Colorado and we have a town called greely that I have driven through recently and it is a cow town if you know what I mean. Still stinks haha

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Per the first part of your reply, yes I have thought of that, chocolate coke and spaghetti I wonder how much my perception of their taste actually changed, but with the others like popcorn and peanut butter and potato chips- I just know they taste different because I'd put them in my mouth and notably remark a much more "metallic" taste and I could not even eat them though prior to my concussion I rather like them. Also, not with the others but chips in particular are of now very "normal" and I can eat them with no problems

And ps don't worry I know I am not better because chances are, your poop doesn't stink either

edit on 4-6-2012 by PhysicsAdept because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Per the first part of your reply, yes I have thought of that, chocolate coke and spaghetti I wonder how much my perception of their taste actually changed, but with the others like popcorn and peanut butter and potato chips- I just know they taste different because I'd put them in my mouth and notably remark a much more "metallic" taste and I could not even eat them .....
It's not something I have ever put much thought into before, but there just isn't any good way to keep track of it... Can't take a picture... Can't record it digital copy...

And ps don't worry I know I am not better because chances are, your poop doesn't stink either
I know.

For as long as I can remember, mine has always smelled like bacon......

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Very odd! I can smell bacon very easily so maybe yours would stink a bit. So I'm not better than beyond else, just you in this case hahahaha

top topics

join