It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prodigy earns University of Chicago medical degree at 21

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Stories like the one below are not only 'feel good' stories, but they also amaze me on the shear brilliance of some people out there today... Sho Yano, age 21, who's been called a prodigy by some, just earned his medical degree from the University of Chicago. For those who are not familiar with US colleges/universities, University of Chicago is arguably one of the top schools in the country. Sho became the youngest student to ever earn his medical degree from UofC, and when you look back at his academic triumphs over the years it’s not that surprising.

Yano was reading at age 2, writing by 3 and composing music by his fifth birthday, according the Tribune story. He entered Loyola University in Chicago at age 9 and graduated summa cum laude in three years.

At age 12, he enrolled in the University of Chicago’s prestigious Pritzker School of Medicine, where students earn both a Ph.D. and a medical degree, according to the Tribune.

"I came to college to study, not to hang out or date," he said in 2000 when he entered Loyola, WLS-TV in Chicago reported. Yano told the television station that he did face some discrimination for being a very young university student.

"I ran into things like people shouting 'go back to elementary school' on campus," Yano told WLS-TV.

So this story got me thinking, how does one become as intellectually gifted like Sho? Was it the parents? Was it just a lucky twist of fate that turned him into a genius? How are some people’s minds so advanced, and at such a young age? Stories like this one amaze me, but they also make me a little jealous too at the same time... The one part of this story that bothered me was how he was treated on campus, kids telling him to go back to elementary school, etc... I guess it’s just jealously from those students and probably nothing more...

Anyways, I found the story interesting and I figured I’d share it with the rest of you...

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 4-6-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

new topics

join