It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Queens Jubilee - Unemployed bussed in to steward river pageant

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Slightly offtopic, with regards to charitable volunteers, its quite amazing how many charities I've volunteered my time and skills to, and been rebuffed.

I am disabled (going blind - degenerative eye condition, can't walk very well due a rock climbing accident, very deaf), and suffer a lot from "Cabin Fever", and after being unable to secure paid employment so far, have applied to numerous charities.

National Trust, Sue Ryder, Oxfam to name but a few.

The replies range from my disabilities being a liability, to not having the required skillset.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BMorris

It took me 6 month's to get a volunteer job, CRB checks take forever and the training can also go on for weeks depending on what you are doing. I started working as a mentor for the probation service, working with young people who need help getting back to normal life and staying out of trouble.
I've done a few cases, but the company i volunteer for are not very well organised and rarely keep in touch,which has been disappointing.

I've been doing 3 days a week at a drop in for young homeless people, which includes doing a youth club one night a week. It's been really good for me as Ive been out of work for a while with a long term illness. It's helped me grow my confidence and meet some great people.

Maybe you could look at something that doesn't require a skill set. I have been tempted to volunteer at Pensioners groups, just making tea and helping out. Old people always like to have people to talk too.

I hope you find something soon your interested in.

edit on 7-6-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

The whole jubilee was an embarrassment to this nation. The BBC were simply, 24/7, blaring out propaganda on how great the Queen is.

The monarchy needs to be abolished. Pronto.
edit on 7-6-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

I agree, but people keep calling me a miserable git for saying so.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Whether the people being exploited in this way realise it or not isn't the issue.
The fact they had to sleep under a bridge, were denied proper services, not paid or paid 2.80 an hour, had to do 14 hour shifts for a company that made 12 odd million quid off the taxpayer last year is absolutely disgusting.

There's no place for this in the modern world. This company should be barred from government contracts. Give the work to companies that treat people with respect and pay them properly.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

The whole system needs a reboot.

One of the many benefits of living in a Direct Democracy would be if enough people wanted it a referendum on the monarchy could be held.

en.wikipedia.org...
direct-democracy.co.uk...

There is also a Direct Democracy UK page on Facebook that is well worth a look.

Party politics is outdated, unrepresentative and dogmatic - we need radical reform now.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Its because they are morons Woodward. Absolute uneducated morons.

How anyone can support an unelected head of state born into privilege in the 21st century baffles me.

If the Queen had gone for a low-key celebration reflecting the "austerity" we are all being put through I would have respected that. Instead she stood about looking bored while millions called to her and millions were paid for it all.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
So they all went to the bathroom on the concrete then?

If on assistance, I would have contacted a lawyer, there are many for the poor, should anyone have ever tried to enforce and brought them all up on major crimes.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

The thing is though, The Queen has absolutely no power and costs relatively little.

But we continue with an electoral and parliamentary system that allows a politician and his party to enforce policies that the majority of the electorate voted against.
That is the same system that is self-perpetuating and self-promoting and is infested with carearist politicians who put personal advancement and gain and party line before the best interests of the country and it's electorate.

I'm not advocating support or the continuance of the Monarchy just playing a bit of Devil's Advocate.

Personally I'd prefer to see reform of the system first and then if the people so desire we can then vote on the future of the monarchy - politicians and their system are doing far more damage and are a far larger drain on this country than the monarchy.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Yes I understand the cost based analysis, but for me that has nothing to do with it.

She has some power. The PM must still go to her palace to usher in or disband a government and call an election, it a may be a procedural exercise but it is still the process that must be adhered to by law. The PM must also meet with the Queen every week, ridiculous.

It is about democratic principle. At least with a president they can be voted out and be held accountable by the populace. I'm not saying it will usher in a golden age of British politics but it is time for a change, a BIG change.

As for the queen as head of state of commonwealth countries that is even harder to swallow. If I were a Jamaican or Australian I would have used the Jubilee as an opportunity to protest against the whole set-up.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Oh I'm all for change I assure you - I just think it would be far more beneficial if we were to reform our electoral and parliamentary systems giving the people a real say and input in both national and local issues.

If I ever thought for one minute that The Queen and / or any of her family were ever trying to unduly influence national policy and interfere in the governing of this country then I would be the first one calling for her head, literally!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join