It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Queens Jubilee - Unemployed bussed in to steward river pageant

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Just came across this story in the Guardian. As part of the Work fare program, jobless youngsters were offered the chance to volunteer to work as Stewards for the Queens Royal pageant. They were given tents to set up in the pouring rain under London Bridge on concrete. No access to a toilet or changing facilities.

The woman said that people were picked up at Bristol at 11pm on Saturday and arrived in London at 3am on Sunday. "We all got off the coach and we were stranded on the side of the road for 20 minutes until they came back and told us all to follow them," she said. "We followed them under London Bridge and that's where they told us to camp out for the night … It was raining and freezing."

A 30-year-old steward told the Guardian that the conditions under the bridge were "cold and wet and we were told to get our head down [to sleep]". He said that it was impossible to pitch a tent because of the concrete floor.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I really love this bit.

Close Protection UK confirmed that it was using up to 30 unpaid staff and 50 apprentices, who were paid £2.80 an hour, for the three-day event in London. A spokesman said the unpaid work was a trial for paid roles at the Olympics, which it had also won a contract to staff. Unpaid staff were expected to work two days out of the three-day holiday.

Now how much is that below the minimum wage.oh yeh about £3.29p.
And how much was spent on the jubliee again?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
It's sick, but that's the kind of society we are now. Gonna take a lot to get back to a bit of morality.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I bet a" pound "
they get charged for it,
,in there PAY PACKETS
70/30 odds

Its a British Thing

lol

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
People are so caught up in this Jubilee, they don't actually give a damn about things like this. Who cares right? As long as the Queen has a great 4 day party. It's literally 24/7 propaganda on every channel. All dissent is silenced or mocked.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
The monarchy is showing its true face.They celebrate over the death ,depression and destruction of their own people.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Welcome to Cameron's vision of the UK in the future.
edit on 5/6/12 by Freeborn because: Oops

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I personally wouldn't have gone it. I wouldn't let any of my kids do it either. If everyone told these organisers to get stuffed, then it wouldn't be an issue would it. No doubt it will be the same at the olympics.
Why do people fall for it, that's what i want to know?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Its almost like they said " I know lets pay homage to serfdom"

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
As part of the Work fare program, jobless youngsters were offered the chance to volunteer to work as Stewards for the Queens Royal pageant. They were given tents to set up in the pouring rain under London Bridge on concrete. No access to a toilet or changing facilities.

At least they weren't whipped.

That's what her ancestors would have done to them.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The more i think about it the more I think I would have just pissed off somewhere else for the day. I mean who would have noticed? At least I was'nt one of the poor sods on those boats trying to raise a smile for someone who doesn't give a crap about me, with no toilets or hot drinks! Nah.... i have more respect for my cat and he scratches me!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by happinness
I personally wouldn't have gone it. I wouldn't let any of my kids do it either. If everyone told these organisers to get stuffed, then it wouldn't be an issue would it. No doubt it will be the same at the olympics.
Why do people fall for it, that's what i want to know?

If they are claiming benefits they are warned that they could have their benefits revoked if they refuse.

Personally, I have always been of the mindset that there is always something for an unemployed person to do, and they should not be allowed to claim benefits while sitting on their butt. People should be forced into voluntary work, neighborhood projects, youth projects, sports initiatives and so on.

The problem with this instance is that it looks like the company has pocketed a lot of money, and replaced employed people with slave labor. They have actively removed employed staff from this, and brought in slave workers that they know they can treat poorly as if this were the 18th century.

I'm just waiting for more of this scandal to break, it's baffling that they thought they could get away with it too.

The Royal family would not have had a clue about this either. I am not a particular fan of the royals, but those who think this is some kind of indicator that the royal family are involved in some kind of slavery, or that they instigated or would support this, are delusional.

These are the actions of a private corporate business, paid through contract to the government. If you think the royals decide every aspect of the jubilee down to the stewards you're nuts quite frankly.

I do, however, agree that the Cameron government is this sick and twisted, and that they individually do believe that the people should serve their upper elite. They were pretty much all raised to believe that they are in the upper class and that the rest of society is disposable, there for their entertainment, to be controlled and used for profit.

This is the conservative way; toffs who were born into wealth, had every door opened for them all their lives, and were educated to believe that they are better than others. It might seem a little far-fetched, but when you look into the lives of these people, how they were taught, the fact that they were only ever exposed to one type of social group... it's inevitable that they would become what they are.

There may be moves to appear to be moral and normal, but when someone is raised their entire lives to believe that they are superior to all others, they will always be completely detached from the rest of society.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Of course there is always something for unemployed to do - but pay them a fair wage for doing community based work.

Unemployed people should not be a source of cheap labour available to further maximise private companies profits or reduce council manpower costs.

These people weren't informed of all the details.

They were led to believe they were being paid when in fact it was being used as a training exercise for the Olympics where the same company is involved in security work.
In addition it seems that inadequate toilet and changing facilities were provided and people were made to wait outside in rainy conditions for a few hours prior to commencing work.

If a contractor had been found to be treating immigrant workers in such a fashion we'd all be horrified but it seems that many think it's ok because they are unemployed Brits?

No doubt the company involved would have been making a large profit out of this contract and will be making even more out of the Olympics.

I agree the Royal Family would have been completely unanware of this.
But do we really think they'd be that bothered?

Whilst they are obviously reporting this I can't see MSM giving this a lot of exposure - they really don't want to upset the Jubilee Celebrations with something so unsavoury......and it is all part of Cameron's plan to Victorianise UK society.

Besides, so many people have bought into the lie that the vast majority of benefit claimants are mailignant layabouts etc.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I loved what you said.... so true. I however would rather starve.
Maybe it sounded too good to be true... a weekend away in London and the prospect of a job for two weeks at the end of it! I think it is disgaceful and the company should be bloody ashamed of themselves! Lead by example I say! Don't treat people like #, just because you can!!!
There should be an enquirie over all this!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

You are "special".

How the hell can you say:

People should be forced into voluntary work, neighborhood projects, youth projects, sports initiatives and so on.

"Forced into voluntary work"

Followed by:

The problem with this instance is that it looks like the company has pocketed a lot of money, and replaced employed people with slave labor.

WELL DUH!!!

That's what you get when you FORCE people to do stuff. That's always the PROBLEM if you force people to do stuff, you said it yourself: "do it, or we take away your benefits(tricky word here, why didn't you replace it with "livelihood", gets the point across more without instigating divisive thinking).

You can't in one breath shout for people to be forced doing something, then in the same breath say it's such a problem that people are being forced to do something.

Besides, this is nothing more than a show of colonialism. Glorifying periods of time that were riddled with slavery and genocide. One big ship for the "queen", and tiny tiny ships that represent what she owns "commonwealth".

But I guess the morale boost you British folk get is good. After all, solidarity with and loyalty to crooked royalty is much needed, imagine if you guys actually GOT to the braking point where your citizens wake up from their 18th century slumber.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Are you being critical of her Majesty the Queen? She is appointed by God to rule. Grovel at her feet like a good syncophant! Reall, the whole affair is in my estimation, rather comical and of course I jest. This is the way one must approach similar nauseating expressions celebratory of fictional constructs.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
People are so caught up in this Jubilee, they don't actually give a damn about things like this. Who cares right? As long as the Queen has a great 4 day party. It's literally 24/7 propaganda on every channel. All dissent is silenced or mocked.

I was watching an interesting interview about the Jubilee the other night and the point about dissent was raised. One commentator was toeing the line about people questioning the celebrations are nothing but party killjoys, and another was saying that a healthy dose of dissent--protest--rebellion should be in the celebratory mix too. This would at least portray the reality as oppose to people erecting bunting for buntings sake and pretending to like their neighbours at the street parties. Dissent is cause for celebration too.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by InfoKartel

If you are claiming state benefits you should NOT be permitted to spend your entire life sat on your fat ass feeding off of the hard work of others.

I'm sorry if this concept of social inclusion is alien to you, but people pay taxes, and people who REFUSE to work while breeding are a drain on society.

Using your logic, why should anyone work and pay taxes at all? Why don't we all just quit tomorrow and live lives of leisure while someone else foots the bill?

Answer - because a government needs an income in order to pay people to do nothing!

And, there is a HUGE difference between a person claiming benefits being required to work in their community to improve it, and forcing someone on benefits to work for a corporation for nothing.

You've failed to comprehend my post.

How about this for a scenario...

There are hundreds of parents in your community who would love to work more and further their careers. But they cannot afford the child care.
At the same time, there are thousands of single mothers sitting on their ass watching Jeremy Kyle all day and feeding off the state.
Then there's that big community center down the road that does nothing for 6 days of the week and maybe has some karate class on a Friday evening.

Why not ask all those single mothers who are claiming benefits for watching Kyle to operate a daycare center in their community, thereby allowing those parents who can't afford the care to go to work?

That's just one example, there are plenty more.

I am not suggesting that people should be forced into slave labor for a corporation while claiming benefits, I am pointing out that there are millions of people in the UK who are more than happy to pop out kids and contribute nothing to society, who SHOULD be required to participate more in order to receive state assistance.

A nation cannot balance an economy when there are millions of people sitting on their fat butt doing nothing, expecting the rest to support them. That is not right. Those people should not be allowed to just do nothing and expect others to support them.

The idea that lazy people should be rewarded and supported by the rest is insane. If you genuinely cannot find work, there are things that you can do to show that you are willing - volunteer in your community, help out at a local school, just do something!
For those who don't want to do anything, and think that they have a RIGHT to claim money for watching TV and breeding, they should be forced into participating in society.

There are leeches, many of them. To deny this is idiotic. They should not be allowed to get away with it, and there is always something that they could be doing.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

You've failed to comprehend my post.

I fully comprehended your post to the point of realizing that you actually are a "detached" individual. Hence the "you are "special".

The other points you put in your 2nd post: completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Just go to one of your ten thousand street gatherings with food laden tables in honor and celebration of colonialism.

I also find the comment rich about how people should ditch their kids in favor of progressing their careers...you know, coming from you, mr. detached individual.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I really think that the British Governments vision for British Society is a return to the time of Lords and Serfs. It seems to be slowly working down that way.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join