It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't have time for your thread? Don't post until you do.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I have noticed a trend occurring here on ATS as of late and that is people who write a thread and then leave. Maybe it is just that I am lucky enough to find these threads more often lately(which is probably the case), but it is frustrating to read a thread and follow or post a question and the OP not even be following their own thread. I am not saying if one posts a thread they should refresh every 30 seconds for 12 hours, but really, is it too much to ask that an OP stick around for an hour or so?

There are so many threads that begin with "I don't have time to research this right now but I thought I would post it here for you to read". Is this because it is more important to them to be the first poster of the topic? Is it because they would rather not do the research and thus leave it to others to do so?

To take this a little further there are many posts that state " I don't have time to read all of your post but here is my opinion of your title" or "I don't have time to watch your video but here is my opinion anyway". We are on a forum, you are taking time to sit here and go through the threads. If you don't have time, don't reply. Give the OP the respect they deserve for bringing it to your attention and give them the time or don't, but posting with half the information is a waste. If you catch a thread as your time is coming to an end and you must attend to other responsibilities then simply subscribe to the thread and come back to it. There is no reason to post, and take up space, stating you don't have the time to give to the thread.

I have gotten used to the petty discussions of errors in naming a thread or spelling and grammar as some people just can't overlook it and go into the thread for the information posted as was the purpose to begin with, but not taking the time you obviously have, if you are here in the first place is, in my mind, at the very least disrespectful.

In conclusion, to the OPs that are posting, Please, if you are going to post, be respectful to your replies and stick around for a while and address your comments. This does not mean reply to every comment but at least be around to answer questions posted by people who take the time to reply to you. To the repliers, please learn to use the subscribe button, if you do not have time to make an educated reply or opinion.

Thank you for reading,

Agarta

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
So then what do you propose? You say that you don't expect them to wait around and refresh ever 30 seconds for 12 hours etc.. but here buddy.. NEWSFLASH: This is a FORUM where threads develop over days and weeks, not a live chat. If you want a live chat log into IRC.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
i actually agree with the above poster for once.. not his delivery though

people have lives, cant expect them to sit around on a forum for prolonged periods.

if they have been on and are just not replying, maybe they just realize they are wrong and cant man up to it?
maybe you should try messaging them if you want to discuss with them and its not just an "i told you so"
edit on 4-6-2012 by braydenf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 12out3r

I do understand, but quite a few people follow the new threads posts and jump in to at least read the thread if they are interested in the topic. This means there could be many questions coming relatively soon after the OP is posted. Like I said, take the time to follow your thread at least for the initial hour after posting to catch those questions. Obviously an OP should follow their thread and answer as they can but to post and run is what I am talking about. Also, there are a lot of people that don't read a thread and ask questions that may have already been answered by the OP or another poster, this takes up space as well as the Op must answer or tell where the answer is along with the other posters doing the same. The threads have become long with little advancement in information due to this.

All I am asking is that, if you(a person posting) takes the time to post they should take the time to follow the discussion for a period of time after posting before leaving. I don't think it's too much to ask. Thank you for your question.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

I have looked at some of the other threads that you have created.....and you are guilty of what you are ranting about.

I'm just saying.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

So then what do you propose? You say that you don't expect them to wait around and refresh ever 30 seconds for 12 hours etc.. but here buddy.. NEWSFLASH: This is a FORUM where threads develop over days and weeks, not a live chat. If you want a live chat log into IRC.

The rant forum is good to bring out the thoughtful replies
. I agree with what you have said OP. I also want to add the abandoned thread to your rant. The one where the OP leaves and never returns. It is frustrating as a poster!

It seems that many do not think of this as a community or even a forum, they blast out content and depart. What anyone else thinks or having any kind of discussion is not what they appear to have had in mind. I do not understand it, personally.

One does not have to babysit a thread, but checking in several times during the day of the post, would help. Sometimes a thread would take off if the OP would reply to the posters.
edit on 4-6-2012 by Iamschist because: added an s

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I can see both sides here however, the reasons cited are why my post count is so low and why I haven't started many threads. I have a bunch of stuff I would like to put out there and I would love to participate more in some of the discussions but it I know I just don't have the time to put in the quality I would like to.

I know there are times when I can't log in for a day or more or I can only muster an hour or so in which to type up a message so I refrain from posting. I feel it is a little unfair to those who take the time to reply only to be ignored for a day or more. I don't think anyone expects posts on demand just a reasonable time between replies. At the very least throw in a disclaimer stating it may take that amount of time to get back to the thread or the post.
edit on 4-6-2012 by DetectiveT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

This is not true, It may appear to be as I did not reply but I can honestly say I have never posted and run that I can remember. If I post a topic I am the one to constantly refresh to read or look out for replies. Please, If you see one that contradicts this please post it as I will take the responsibility. Also if it was early in my membership please take into consideration that peoples actions and opinions change over time especially on a site like this. Thank you for your reply.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by braydenf

I agree one can not be expected to sit at the computer all day although some do but as Iamschist and DetectiveT state above it is not too much to ask for an OP to follow their own threads in a timely matter. You are right this is a forum and that is exactly my point. Thank you for reiterating this. It is not a blog which is used to post and simply watch replies or step out of the discussion. Thank you for your reply.

edit on 4-6-2012 by Agarta because: wording and spelling

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I largely agree with the OP, but I would like to ask for a little sympathy for those who are faced with: "Just watch the video below. It will be the most life changing hour and a half you've ever spent."

Sorry, I prefer 15 minutes as an upper limit unless it is an absolutely fascinating topic.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I fully agree, I too have a time limit to what I will watch at a specific time(about 15 min max) and a lot of those threads that have a very long(movie length) video also for some reason do not have any type of commentary from the OP that goes with it. There has been many times I have subscribed to those threads simply so I could find it when I did have the time.
edit on 4-6-2012 by Agarta because: spelling

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Well said....and I certainly will. I must admit...I am guilty of it too....to a certain extent at times. I'll try and improve.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
By the way to all

I like to star everyone who replies in my threads as a thank you for posting regardless of whether I agree or not. This however does not include trolls(I have not considered any reply in this thread as trollish)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Some of us have children we need to take care of as well as jobs so we cant always stick around and glue ourselves to the internet.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

I have 3 myself 9,4 and 2 so I understand but that does not change the fact that if you post a thread you should take the time to follow it for at least a period of time. This is a non sequitur answer as if you are going to post a thread do it when you have time not when you don't. emergencies arise, I understand, in fact we had to take our Son to the ER for swallowing a nickle, and the very next night we had to take our 4 year old for odd bleeding.(all is fine in case you were wondering). So I do understand situations like this but this does not excuse everyone, every time, thus non sequitur. Thanks for posting.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Sorry, I feel asleep.

I will go back and star and flag you.

Which of my completely inactive threads??

Actually, it would be a cool feature that if someone responded to a poster specifically then they would get some kind of an indicator to go back and look. At linked-in if one posts to a discussion thereafter one gets email updates about any follow on posts to that thread.
edit on 4-6-2012 by kawika because: add text

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

I know I sent you an U2U explaining this but I have decided to reply in here as well for those that may not know.

When you click on the "messages" tab on the ribbon at the bottom of the page that fades after a few seconds you will be taken to your U2U inbox. At the top of the list on the left(your messages) you will see a "REPLIES" tab. Clicking that will give you a list of all the replies to your posts. Clicking them will tell you what thread it was in and then clicking the thread will take you to the reply.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Wow...

Had no idea. Thanks for that. Good to know. Got it to work just now. Does not show the actual reply until you click on the link then it takes you to the post in the thread.

Way cool.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

Glad I could help.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
reply to post by kawika

I know I sent you an U2U explaining this but I have decided to reply in here as well for those that may not know.

When you click on the "messages" tab on the ribbon at the bottom of the page that fades after a few seconds you will be taken to your U2U inbox. At the top of the list on the left(your messages) you will see a "REPLIES" tab. Clicking that will give you a list of all the replies to your posts. Clicking them will tell you what thread it was in and then clicking the thread will take you to the reply.

AWESOME! I didn't know that, thanks for the tip!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join