It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers find flame retardant in food samples, according to UTSPH study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Never heard of HBCD but, I am familiar with the term flame retardant. According to the study, which was conducted in Dallas TX, the foods that contained the highest levels of the compound were fat-rich. Study results found canned sardines, fresh salmon and peanut butter had the highest levels of HBCD.

tmc.edu

“Research has shown these chemicals can stay in animals as well as in human blood and breast milk for a long time,” said Schecter. “Although levels are lower than agencies believe to be a dangerous level, it is still cause for concern because fire retardants do not belong in food.”

To reduce chemical exposure, Schecter recommends eating less food with animal fat and eating more fruits and vegetables, which tend to be low in flame retardants. “This research and other research of these chemicals call for the need in reducing the amount of chemicals our food supply is exposed to,” said Schecter.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Well this royally sucks, fresh salmon and peanut butter are staples of my diet!

Meh, it could be a silver lining... you know, ingested protection against sun-flares and what not

Couldn't agree more about there being too many chemicals in our food, however.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

Solar flares, that's hilarious.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Thanks! Seriously though, perhaps those food types have naturally occurring similarities to those found in the flame-retardant chemical?

Just a thought.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

Possible, I am no scientist. Yeah, it didn't really describe how it leached into the food supply, so your guess is as good as mine. However with a little googling I'm sure we could find answers.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine
reply to post by Daedal

Well this royally sucks, fresh salmon and peanut butter are staples of my diet!

Meh, it could be a silver lining... you know, ingested protection against sun-flares and what not

Couldn't agree more about there being too many chemicals in our food, however.

Don't forget about spontaneous human combustion! Always a good idea to have those internal flame retardants in place. Speaking of flames and flaming, this might be just the remedy the religious right wingers want to reduce homosexuality, I mean really LOL, internal "flame" retardants. (Obviously joking right)

Cheers - Dave

top topics

join