It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Factory Orders Post Surprise Fall in April

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
CNBC
Monday, 4 Jun 2012

US Factory Orders Post Surprise Fall in April

More bad news for the economy.

"More bad news" seems to be the new norm lately.

It just keeps getting worse instead of better.

This time it's factory orders and slipping demand in general.

They missed the forecasts.

They even "revised" the "estimates" for March downward !!

Every time we see a glimmer of hope, we get shot down soon afterwards.

They sure do take prisoners real fast.
Then they keep us in the endless loop of "change".

I guess we now know what they meant by "change".

The "hope" was for them, not us.

New orders for U.S. factory goods fell in April for the third time in four months as demand slipped for everything from cars and machinery to computers, the latest worrisome sign for the economic recovery.

The Commerce Department said on Monday orders for manufactured goods dropped 0.6 percent during the month. The government also revised its estimate for new orders in March to show a steeper decline.

Economists had forecast orders rising 0.2 percent in April.

But of course they keep giving some jobs back.

But those are chicken feed.

No jobs + No money = No Hope.

Weak jobs + small money = No Hope.

Warning Sign....

The report showed broad weakness in a sector that has carried the economic recovery, adding to a growing body of soft economic data.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

As an economic "newb", what conditions would have to occur for America to "double dip" or fall back into recession status?

I know we've never left the recession, but the media and the administration can only lie for so long.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Obama doesn't worry.

He is still blaming it all on GW Bush.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

As an economic "newb", what conditions would have to occur for America to "double dip" or fall back into recession status?

I know we've never left the recession, but the media and the administration can only lie for so long.

A recession is when the gross domestic product (GDP) declines. The trouble is that it is measured in the past, so you often don't know you are in a recession until it's well underway.

We are experiencing a period of "very slow" growth. Three months from now the economists could look back and determine that we are in fact in a recession.

Edit to add: Of course the remedy is a third round of quantitative easing (QE), also known as the Federal Reserve printing more money. Printing causes inflation and makes it appear to keep the GDP increasing and the stock market happy.
edit on 6/4/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: more

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Obama doesn't worry.

This really has nothing to do with either.

Capitalist owners of industry are the ones sending manufacturing jobs overseas.

If the president tried to stop that you'd all be crying that freedoms were being taken away.

If the workers owned the means of production we wouldn't have this problem.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Obama doesn't worry.

This really has nothing to do with either.

Capitalist owners of industry are the ones sending manufacturing jobs overseas.

If the president tried to stop that you'd all be crying that freedoms were being taken away.

If the workers owned the means of production we wouldn't have this problem.

You should have a talk with Obama then.
As i recall, he did a little news interview where he said that if the economy wasn't improved three years into his first term, it would be a one term presidency. He sort of thought that he has something to do with the economy, better not hold him to that, eh?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Thank you. It causes me to wonder, what their spin will be 3 months from now.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

That spinning may get tougher to do.
Hard to shine up a guy that is standing in a soup line.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Yeah well when we are all working for minimum wage that's what happens (at least when the MAJORITY of the glue of this nation is now working for minimum wage, anyway). It sucks, but if we cannot even afford to keep our homes and electric on, what need do we have for cars and computers(NOW A LUXURY IN AMERIKA)?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Is anyone shocked to see this data? It is expected, tons of folks lost unemployment benefits. This economy will come crashing down, I am just waiting for the bank runs to start..... Gonna go get my cash right before it happens, I hope....

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

You should have a talk with Obama then.
As i recall, he did a little news interview where he said that if the economy wasn't improved three years into his first term, it would be a one term presidency. He sort of thought that he has something to do with the economy, better not hold him to that, eh?

C'mon what president doesn't try to tell you what you want to hear?

He might actually be trying to improve the economy but the pres is not god, the economy is not controlled by government, it is controlled by the capitalists owners of industry.

I don't look to the president to solve the economy because he can't, at least not without more interference.
And when the government interferes with the economy people start screaming 'big government!'

I am not a fan of Obama, or any politician, see my screen name, but to keep blaming the president is not going to solve the issue. That's like blaming furniture for humans cutting trees down.

The real issue is capitalism itself, nothing more nothing less. The government we have is a result of the economy we have. If the workers owned the means of production we could simply produce what we need. But when the means of production are owned privately, and labour exploited for profits, the concern is not to meet peoples needs, but to make profits for the minority privileged class of capitalists. This causes the inevitable up and down of the business cycle, and the economy will be never be stable. If we could produce for our needs, regardless of profit, there would be no down cycle.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Gonna go get my cash right before it happens, I hope....
reply to post by Mamatus

Unless that 'cash' has some intrinsic value, it won't be worth much anyway.
The inflation may make it pretty much worthless before a bank run.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Just promise everyone a $3,000 Check for thingamajigs and in October announce the "College Loan Forgiveness Program."

"OOOoooohhh! Obama's gonna pay my rent and buy me a car!"
edit on 6/4/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: added aditional sarcasm

It's like when I ran for student council president by promising everyone free ice cream at lunch.
edit on 6/4/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: more drivel

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

but to keep blaming the president is not going to solve the issue. That's like blaming furniture for humans cutting trees down.
He set himself up to take the blame was my point. No one for him to blame but himself (oops, maybe he can blame his handlers) for that.

I understand that the economy has a lot of factors other than the POTUS.... a lot more.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

Just promise everyone a $3,000 Check for thingamajigs and in October announce the "College Loan Forgiveness Program."

"OOOoooohhh! Obama's gonna pay my rent and buy me a car!"
edit on 6/4/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: added aditional sarcasm
Yes, bread and circuses.
They'll do whatever they can to keep the majority docile.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Definition of 'Double-Dip Recession'

When gross domestic product (GDP) growth slides back to negative after a quarter or two of positive growth. A double-dip recession refers to a recession followed by a short-lived recovery, followed by another recession.

Investopedia explains 'Double-Dip Recession'

The causes for a double-dip recession vary but often include a slowdown in the demand for goods and services because of layoffs and spending cutbacks from the previous downturn.

A double-dip (or even triple-dip) is a worst-case scenario. Fear that the economy will move back into a deeper and longer recession makes recovery even more difficult.

Double-Dip Recession

United States GDP Growth Rate

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

He set himself up to take the blame was my point.

But that is the job of the government. To be the fall guy, so the blame is not placed where it should be.

It's a scam to make you think you have some control, don't like what is going on with the economy blame the pres and vote in a new one. But nothing actually change though does it? It just keeps people from realizing and going after the real problem, that being capitalism itself.

edit on 6/4/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Of course there are fewer factory orders- no one has any left over money to BUY anything.

A lot of us pay banks, utilities, food, bit of gas to try to do it again next month, and there's none left.

Captialism, to work, should pay workers enough so that they can participate in the system- like, auto workers should make enough money to buy an occasional new car.

WHAT we have is a system where more and more are making less and less and only a few can afford anything. Wages are so low in some of our biggest corporations- like Walmart, that workers make minimum wage and qualify for food stamps and government housing! A few do better- a small percent are very wealthy- BUT the few only need a few things.

For America to work, we need a thriving middle class and ours is dying. Murdered by greed really. Sandwiched between those of us with a hand out in need, and those few, like banks and the 'upper' class, who's well to do hands picking are picking their khaki pockets.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

They send our production jobs overseas where they can pay workers less, but the products are sold in America at inflated prices. This works for awhile while people still have money, but as our incomes decrease and we buy less...

But now they have increased the economy of China etc., they are now the new consumers, and prices almost as high as in the US.

Those who make quick money from this are set for life, while the economy for working people decreases again.

This is the conflict between the economy for the capitalist class and the economy for the rest of us. The capitalist class can make enough money, in short periods of time, by manipulating the economy and politics to their benefit.
They have no reason to worry about what they're doing to the future of the economy. The workers though rely on a stable economy for their weekly income.

edit on 6/4/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Don't worry....be happy....

Hard to know what to do to survive this. I have a potential new job offer expected this week.

What to do???
edit on 4-6-2012 by kawika because: added image

new topics

join