It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italy The F3 or Da F16 you decide!

page: 1

join
share:
RAB

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I've recently been to Italy to eat the pasta and drink the wine however, they used to lease some Tornado F3's from the RAF but have now returned them in order to lease F16's (Blocks 10 / 15) from the USAF.

My question the better plane the Tornado F3 (Massive range and powerfull weps at least with the RAF or the F16 (Block 10 / 15).

Discuss!

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Far as I know we're not supposed to discuss in the way 'Who would win if XXX would fight?' or "which country has better AF?'

RAB

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
"Far as I know we're not supposed to discuss in the way 'Who would win if XXX would fight?' or "which country has better AF?"

Not really asking that, just think that IT's a odd descision with the need to retain the aircrew for ie. the F3 to the F16 then to the Eurofighter.

Also the F16 is a excellent doggy but the F3's BVR will win, not wishing to start a Who would win type thing but in light of Italys situation I just think that they should have kept the F3 for the sake of keeping life simple!

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
As you say, the Tornado is a far superior long range interceptor to the F-16 but as these aircraft are a stop gap until the introduction of the Typhoon with the AMI' then the F-16 with its agile dogfighting capability provides something more in keeping with what they are eventually going to get.

I think this is a side issue however and the real reason was simply that the F-16's were available more cheaply and are cheaper to operate. As Italy doesn't expect to be involved in a shooting war on its own territory any tiime soon this is always going to be the number one consideration.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
As you say, the Tornado is a far superior long range interceptor to the F-16 but as these aircraft are a stop gap until the introduction of the Typhoon with the AMI' then the F-16 with its agile dogfighting capability provides something more in keeping with what they are eventually going to get.

I think this is a side issue however and the real reason was simply that the F-16's were available more cheaply and are cheaper to operate. As Italy doesn't expect to be involved in a shooting war on its own territory any tiime soon this is always going to be the number one consideration.

- I think you got it all nicely covered there Waynos.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Yeah - F-16's are cheaper, more versatile, and will most likely be used in support of the EF.

Seems like the right decision to me.

kix

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Tornado hands down..2 engines remember?

More versatile......

that reminds me of an old joke:

want a F16 for cheap?
-How cheap?
mmmm like 50K USD$
-Come on!
yes buy 50 acres just outside an Air force Base and WAIT!

new topics

top topics

join