It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planned stealth destroyer could underpin US Navy's China strategy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

SINGAPORE – A super-stealthy warship that could underpin the U.S. navy's China strategy will be able to sneak up on coastlines virtually undetected and pound targets with electromagnetic "railguns" right out of a sci-fi movie. But at more than $3 billion a pop, critics say the new DDG-1000 destroyer sucks away funds that could be better used to bolster a thinly stretched conventional fleet.

www.foxnews.com...

IMO this is sick they are basically throwing out there the plans to take over and start war with china. I dont get how people can see these blatant war plans and not see the US as the aggressor. They will probably have some crazy excuse to go to war with everyone in the region.

edit on 4-6-2012 by lobotomizemecapin because: forgot to refrence the site inof was copied from

edit on 6/4/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Fixed EX Tags an Shortened as per T&C.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
America wants go to war with everyone! Oh Noes!!

With this Super Ship, we can bring down all nations and live like kings!!!! .

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
This has always been going on .. Countries try to trump eachother with technology to try to DISCOURAGE acts of aggression.. If the US actually planned to go to war with China they wouldn't be announcing this.. it's propaganda to remind China we're still the biggest fish in the sea ( literally, the sea ) .. Basically flexing our muscles and saying "think twice about starting something" ... War games tend to serve the same purpose... the down side is it could easily spark an arms race.. China is trying to bolster it's fleet.. which is why we're showing this thing off.

Nevertheless.. Impressive piece of tech..
edit on 6/4/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/4/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

China arent the ones trying to take control in that region they have the control and the US is pissing on their territory now we are building intimidating ships and telling them to step. Sounds like a challenge to me. Like the bully terrorizing small kids into giving them their lunch money.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Reminds me of the new British type 45 destroyer, although a bit more jazzy -

www.telegraph.co.uk...#

nosint.blogspot.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
As much as I hate to admit it, the fact is geopolitics is a tricky tricky business.. As great as I think it would be to be able to shrink our forces down and focus on something else, the fact is that won't work unless all of the countries in the world decide to also play nice.. nobody truly trusts anyone else.. so while one country might react calmly in the public eye, they may be building up an arsenal in secret, which drives forward the use of spy technology to see what they are REALLY up to .. it's been like this for a long long time and I don't see it going away any time soon..

It was getting out of hand in the realm of nuclear weapons for quite a while.. we managed to ( mostly ) stop that arms race and shift it back to conventional weapons.. but if you think about it.. this sort of thing has really been going on for centuries in some way or another =)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

Looks a little weak to me.
But I could be wrong.

Raytheon

Now if they were touting modularity. And interchangeable parts or modules depending on the mission.
That would be awesome. But that's very pricey for a destroyer.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin

China arent the ones trying to take control in that region they have the control and the US is pissing on their territory now we are building intimidating ships and telling them to step. Sounds like a challenge to me. Like the bully terrorizing small kids into giving them their lunch money.

What I meant by that is in the recent years there have been stories about China beefing up their naval capabilities .. which very well could be what is provoking the US to shift their forces to that region.. The US will stay in international waters, so it's not like they are invading Chinese territory exactly.. but this new stealth ship is probably also a direct response to China investing heavily in recent times in their naval fleet..

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

Looks a little weak to me.
But I could be wrong.

Certainly not as intimidating looking a huge carrier .. but who knows really, I wouldn't want to challenge it =)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Another thing to consider is the US already has 50% of their fleet in the asia-pacific area.. they are changing that from 50% to 60% .. not exactly a HUGE shift.. not saying it's insignificant, but it still sounds like more of a muscle flex than anything.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

You are absolutely right but this seems like a very foolish approach to said situation. Basically a threat of military action toward china if they dont give us a piece of their pie. Its one thing to show off your weaponry to keep the other psycho leaders at bay but to use it in an intimidating way to get other countries to give up their resources and pay homage to you is very wrong. We may end up getting screwed if our government decides to continue this blatant theft and intimidation toward other countries.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
IMO this is sick they are basically throwing out there the plans to take over and start war with china. I dont get how people can see these blatant war plans and not see the US as the aggressor.

The Chinese admirals quote is accurate ... all it takes, is an armada of fishing boats ... and even less than that. What he is referring to, is the fact that the ship is so expensive that it doesn't make any sense to create it ... it's an "attack" ship ... to attack what? fishing villages?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Until that fateful day comes and USA and China goes to war with one another I'm not going to stress about it... Many people on here are sh*tting themselves over the possibility of WWIII, I just dont see it in the cards right now, but who knows, when you have a bunch of egomaniacs running countries all bets are off.... China and the US are too dependent on one another, China needs us to keep buying their cheap sh*t and we need China to keep making it.... Neither country has anything really to gain by fighting each other, if anything, both sides will lose...

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I can understand your viewpoint, but allow me to point out a few things.

FACT: The Chinese have infiltrated the largest theft of intellectual property and technology in the history of mankind against the United States via hacking/open source intelligence (OSINT) gathering. By constantly attacking the US Department of Defense network, along with defense contractors and university research laboratories, the Chinese have stolen the ENTIRE US Space Shuttle program, F-35 fighter program, among many many others. The Chinese have steadfastly denied this, but it is still true.

FACT: China has recently unvieled a new carrier program as a challenge to the US Navy's Pacific Fleet, along with it's F-10 (read:stolen F-35) airwings.

FACT: China wants Taiwan back, and the oil rich Spratly Islands.

Now, the US Navy is not as dumb as it's Sailors might lead you to believe (spare me the hatred, I was honorably discharged from the Navy as a First Class Petty Officer after 11 years of service, so I know Sailors
) What the Navy is doing is reminding China that it is the pre-eminent "Blue Water" navy in the world.

As far as the Chinese admiral's statement, how well do fishing trawlers fare when they go farther than a couple of miles out to sea??? Not very well. The railgun is an ultimate stand-off weapon with it's range, and this is merely a soft show of force to remind the Chinese that while the US is down, it it not out.

At least, not yet.

edit on 4-6-2012 by Dreine because: grammar fail

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Any manned system will be the Achilles heel of the entire system. The same happened to the F-22. There will be an inherent flaw that will be discovered too late and after all the defense contractors are paid good money and they can take their wives out for a nice dinner in Georgetown over a nice bottle of champagne.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I think the US is concentrating its naval forces in Asia partly from lack of issue elsewhere. nobody in the middle East has a sizeable naval force, and the soviets, excuse me the Russians, are pulling back a bit, which leaves the Pacific as the major theater likely to see action. and has been pointed out, naval strategy has always been primarily to intimidate enemies into not challenging. the last naval power to challenge the U.S. Navy was Imperial Japan, which had a pretty good run before running into a steel wall of reality.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I am going to have to make a thread later today with what I was told by the DIRECTOR of Rand Corporations think tank back in around 1999.......... He was one of my flight students.

You think we are not at war with China now you are sorely wrong. They are at war with us, along with the Russians and 2/3rds of the Middle East. These ancient Countries have more patience that most anyone in This Country can relate to. Rand Corp knew what was happening ages ago......

Don't forget Putin is back in charge of Russia......... (BTW Gorbachev was working for Putin)

More later can't put it all down for you guys right now.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I was going to say we did the same thing with Russia years ago. As you stated it would great if everyone were to play nice but every arms agreement ever signed has been broken and that goes back at least a hundred years.
America's advantage is also it's achilles heel - all this high tech stuff is very expensive and requires endless maintenance and repair.
One cheap anti-ship mine and boom, down goes $3 Billion.
Autonomous weapons of all kinds, not just drones but ships and subs as well could help pare the numerical edge China holds in some regards.
While it pays to develop the tech for these new systems, design, test and manufacture times usually leave them obsolete by the time they reach the battlefield.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The introduction of new stealthy destroyers would be a welcome, and long hoped-for addition to the United States Navy in my opinion. The USN has largely been behind the curve on stealth surface ships, with their Littoral Combat Ship project (stealth corvettes to the rest of the world) only really beginning to show application.

The USN throughout much of the Cold War focused upon traditional surface fleet structure of overwhelming force, while leaving the stealth to their submarine forces. Remember President Regan's "600-Ship-Navy"? It relied upon the reactivation and modernization of massive surface ships built for the Second World War, including antiquated battleships.

The much of the rest of the developed world, completely unable to compete with American nuclear submarines and aircraft carriers has had stealth surface ships for some time now. All that the USN is doing is taking the next step.

Is this a sign of impending war between the US and China? Absolutely not! It will take years for these ships to be in service in any large numbers, especially with the US DOD's rather roundabout way of development and construction. Even then, what we are seeing here is merely an evolutionary step in surface ship design. Much as the F-22 Raptor was to fighter aircraft. Nothing I am seeing in any of the data on these ships shows a game-changing leap, just the march of progress in naval architecture.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Congress was going to build 32 of these new Stealth Destroyers but cut the number to 3.

At +$7 Billion a pop....makes you think why didn't they just keep the Space Shuttles flying and load them up with lasers and nukes. Would have been cheaper.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join