It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA gets two military spy telescopes for astronomy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Found some top secret info..

They have 8 foot main mirrors, a secondary mirror, they are cylindrical in shape and covered in shiny stuff...

shhhhhhh...

Article or it didn't happen.

Article

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Sounds like "outsourcing" to me and a damn good way to make taxpayers openly fund these spy-scopes from now on.

Sure, they'll be pretty pictures to appease and a wad of data for the eggheads, but I trust nobody so what do you expect me to say. .

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

Or it confirms that the civilian sector is practically equal with the government, and it is now cheaper to buy imagery from GeoEye et al. rather than launch and operate a large IMINT constellation under NRO control.

GeoEye-1 has a 1.1 meter mirror and gets 41cm resolution (downgraded to 50cm for commercial applications). These 2.4 meter glasses would do substantially better. But still not gonna read a newspaper from orbit.
edit on 6/4/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Wouldn't changing the position of the secondary mirror cause the photons reflecting off the primary to converge behind the secondary? I was always of the impression that primary mirrors are ground with a specific parabolic shape for a certain focal ratio. I ask this of you because you seem to be knowledgeable about optics and astronomy, and as a rank amateur astronomer I am always looking for answers.

Now to the topic at hand. I think it's great that NASA now has two new scopes, though unfortunate that they lack the funding to place them in orbit. Perhaps a private company/individuals with a desire to expand our knowledge of the universe we inhabit would take up the call. I would, were I in a position to do so. Commercial space flight, I believe, may be the next big industry coming down the pipe, and this would certainly be a good place to start.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OblivionGate

Wouldn't changing the position of the secondary mirror cause the photons reflecting off the primary to converge behind the secondary? I was always of the impression that primary mirrors are ground with a specific parabolic shape for a certain focal ratio.

I believe the secondary mirror actually is located in front of focal point a certain amount anyway. The "final" optics (eyepiece, camera) correct the image from the secondary. Does that make sense?

I'm not all that well versed in optics but the only reason I can imagine for a movable secondary would be to change the field of view.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Shoot, it would be better if the military sold them on GSA Auctions so I could have bid two hundred eighty dollars and got one myself. Maybe they will get mad at NASA and put them out on bids.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yes, that makes sense. The photons do not converge into a point until they reach the eyepiece, which would explain why, in the case of a Newtonian reflector, the image is flipped. Thanks, Phage.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

The U.S. government’s secret space program has decided to give NASA two telescopes as big as, and even more powerful than, the Hubble Space Telescope

Now tell me again how they can not read a car tag from space. More powerful that Hubble Space Telescope. NASA said that Hubble Space Telescope could see the light of a match from NY to LA anf these things are not even that high up.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

NASA said that Hubble Space Telescope could see the light of a match from NY to LA

They did? When?

These telescopes can provide the same maximum resolution as Hubble but they have the ability to also use a wider field of view (at lower resolution). That, apparently, is what the writer of the article considers "more powerful".

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Back when they first lunched the thing years ago. They were so proud on how powerful it was. Then they found out it needed glasses. A fault in the main mirror which the use the space shuttle to fix.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Yes, I know they fixed it.
But it never had the kind of resolution you're talking about.

Perhaps you're thinking of a statement about light gathering ability and thinking its the same as resolution. It isn't exactly the same thing.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You may be right but I bet they are working on something that someday will be able to read a newspaper from space.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinsear

Secret government space program indeed. It just makes you wonder, what kind of technology has replaced these two outdated telescopes? This is a great article proving that we know very little about our governments secret space program. This also sheds some light as to why they cut NASA's funding. Anyone know more info regarding this topic?

www.wa shingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Yes, also shows that our DOD is still spending LOTS of money!! I remember the Jessie Ventura episode on the Pentagon being hit directly in the office that housed all our military and I believe Government debts and spending.

Nice find OP!

PS

Wasn't NASA officially shut down? or was it just a select branch? I kinda wonder if they say its shut down but really isn't.. "The one hand waving at you while the other is doing secret stuff"
edit on 06/04/12 ? by SickeningTruths because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SickeningTruths
Wasn't NASA officially shut down? or was it just a select branch? I kinda wonder if they say its shut down but really isn't.. "The one hand waving at you while the other is doing secret stuff"
edit on 06/04/12 ? by SickeningTruths because: (no reason given)

You're probably thinking of the end of the Space Shuttle program, but the Shuttle program is not all NASA did (nor does). A lot of other science missions, many ongoing. We're still getting data from the Voyager mission, one of the Mars rovers is still operational. WISE just finished its mission and there's a ton of data to go through. Cassini is still out there doing stuff. A lot of other things, and more on the way.

Sadly, they are very underfunded so they aren't doing all the stuff they could and should be.
edit on 6/4/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by concernedUScitizen

Drones!

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinsear

I have ALWAYS said that there was a second space agency!!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
yeah goodies...more toys for us, less toys for you.

How convenient a new eye in the sky or several new eye's in the sky are going up. With that amount of intell being fed into the mainframe for it to process you could begin to understand what type of meetings have been going on behind closed doors regardless of who is elected as president at what ever point in time.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Its too late.. With all these "Fusion centers" or "Info centers" and China hacking Google.. Were ALL on paper some where.. I'm sure!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Every so often, as I'm researching away (and finding no conclusive truths about anything, sadly) I encounter an odd claim. This is usually the end of the line, in terms of anything verifiable. So, I haven't hitched my wang to the theory.

Maybe this Agency Kicked Down the Scopes Because they didn't See the Point in Attempting to Use Them Themselves?

As I recall, controversial characters like Peter B _ _ _ _ and Gordon D _ _ _ amongst others have made the claim that America is running low on or plum out of military satellites and space weaponry. The theories range from Russians destroying them all in only a few days to their being disabled by some means.

I have to admit that I enjoy the thought. It's definitely a different perspective to imagine the US as a paper tiger in this area. Sorry if I've offended any gov-loving scientists! boo hoo.

Off hand, does anyone know if there's a group or service that tracks the blac_-ops or military satellites? I don't imagine they share this stuff openly, but I've seen animations of satellites orbiting the globe like flies. How does anyone verify what's what and their capability?

While I'm at it, I also get tickled by supposed intel like Iran being years ahead of the US in energy research. I've heard from a couple folks that they already produce cheap Hydrogen/Boron reactors that don't emit nasty radiation.

Oh, and I don't appreciate seeing Americans all teary eyed as they watch Nova specials on the wonders of Hubble, when all along we've apparently been slumming it with some trash-tech.
edit on 5-6-2012 by TyrannyNews because: styling was whack

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I'm of course very glad that NASA is getting two new Hubble-like devices they can, with some retrofitting and funding, put up there. That's simply an amazing thing. What is really sad about this, of course, is that it shows just how stingy we are with money for astronomical research, whereas the military can just kick down a few devices they don't need anymore that were otherwise just going to gather dust on the shelf. Presumably they've either got better systems now in its place, or that sort of system just isn't so useful for them anymore.

So, how many Hubble-likes do we have up there pointed back at Earth to watch enemy and frenemy troop convoys and ship movements instead of being pointed outwards where they can gather information about the wonders and glories of the Universe.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join