It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

York Rite vs. Scottish Rite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The other day and elderly neighbor came by to visit as I was mowing my lawn. We chit-chatted for some time, then I commented on his Masonic ballcap. One thing leads to another, and now I have a Masonic application (Petition for the Degrees of Freemasonry), and I'll accompany the gentleman to the Masonic lodge tomorrow to meet the members and join them for dinner. I'll then have to depart as the Lodge meeting begins.

I may be getting ahead of myself, but here's the question(s):

Between the York Rite and Scottish Rite, is one generally preferred in certain regions? Can you be a member of both? Are additional dues involved with going into the advanced degrees?

I know I'll be meeting the men tomorrow evening, but I'd like to be armed with some information beforehand.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Is it a prerequisite to, after being asked to join, then go public with it?

Are you going to reveal all as it happens, because I know if I was a secret super duper member, I'd never ask someone to join my shenanigans if I thought they'd instantly hop on their fave forums and request info.

That's just me tho... my secret orginastion still only has 1 member...

and even I want to kick me out at times... coh, who'd be me..

sorry I can't answer it, not a freemason.. there are some here, tho, via open admission... but rarer than hes teeth are answers to questions.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Zhenyghi

Yes , you can be a member of both . I was in both but I demitted (quit) the Scottish Rite not long ago . As for popularity , it is up to the area and even lodge to lodge . In my Mother lodge , most all members are Scottish Rite , while in my second lodge I am a member of the York Rite is more popular .

I personally like the York Rite better .

ETA: Yes , more dues will be paid , but they are generally fairly cheap . I paid $60(when I first joined , it is not much more now , $70 or $75 ) a year in SR dues . As a matter of fact I paid less in petition/degree fees and yearly dues to become a SR Mason than I did to my Craft lodges .
edit on 4-6-2012 by whenandwhere because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-6-2012 by whenandwhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
The Masons on here are super-helpful.
So, bumping your question for you.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

I wasn't asked to join. That's not how they do things in the US - "2B1ASK1".

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by CodyOutlaw

Yes, they are...perhaps I'll re-connect with some of them. I'm back on ATS after a hiatus of about 5 years.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The appendant bodies are pretty much left to the individual. I am a member of both and the degrees in both are beautiful and meaningful.

The York Rite consist of three sets of degrees:

Holy Royal Arch
Cryptic Masonry
Knights Templar

The Royal Arch has a distinctly Christian flavor with New Testament stories added into the rituals.

In order to take the Order of the Temple (Knight Templar) degree you must either be a Christian or swear to defend the Christian religion.

The Scottish Rite is a little different. The degrees are presented as dramas that you watch and they are high quality productions with costumes, music, lighting etc.

Scottish Rite is a lot of fun and you can go from 4th to 32nd in a weekend.

If I were to recommend anything to a new mason it would be to spend some time in the blue lodge and learn all you can. The other bodies will always be there and you will have a much greater appreciation if you have spent time in Blue Lodge.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

There is nothing wrong with you telling anyone and everyone you petitioned the Fraternity . I told many people when I first petitioned . It worked out too , because there were friends whom I did not know were Masons who heard about it and came to my Initiation to share in the experience with me . If I had kept it to myself , then they would not have been there .

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Thanks for the information and advice. Yeah, I'm not going to rush into the advanced degrees, heck, I may not even be accepted as a member!

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Also, during your investigation/interview, here are some things I suggest.

Ask for a tour of the lodge. They will probably do this anyway but are happy to oblige.

Ask the hard questions, IE all the crazy stuff here on ATS.

If you are married or have a significant other ask about the time commitment the lodge generally expects (usually a couple of evenings a month) and ask how the other guys explained masonry to their family.

Feel free to ask about any of the furnishings, regalia or decorations in the lodge room. They will explain as much as possible.

They will probably go over the qualifications with you, IE Be a good man of good report, of legal age, no felonies and a belief in a Supreme Being.

Your religious beliefs will never again be questioned (unless/until you go to Knight Templar) and you should never feel pressure to elaborate. You will find that if you believe in a Supreme Being all the rituals that have a religious flavor will appeal to you and (I have found) enhance/increase your faith outside lodge.

Ask about dress code, charity events, social events, etc.

The brothers will necessarily be vague about the degrees. This is not so much to mislead, but because they are a very fun, very interesting and very beautiful process and they want each man to experience it for himself without having a preconceived notion.

It is hard to avoid reading about the degrees online and elsewhere, but I would recommend avoiding it. Not because I think you will be upset or scared, but because the rituals are so much more exciting the first time.

I made the mistake of reading about the 3rd degree before going through and it was terribly disappointing because I knew all the twists and turns and surprises.

And finally, masonry is about fun, brotherhood, support and spirituality. When you become a mason you will find there are millions of us around the world (and especially in every town in the us) and no matter where you go you will always find a helping hand and a brotherly smile.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

You are never required to 'go public' with anything. Most masons I know don't wear rings outside the lodge.

Being a mason confers no special status in society and if you take it to heart it is purely an internal spiritual journey that isn't anyone's business.

I don't begrudge any brother for showing pride in the fraternity, but just like you see members of the military who serve quietly and don't boast about combat, and those who wear stickers and shirts and slogans all over the place, it's fairly easy to see who got the most out of it.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Wow, again, thanks. I didn't think about asking for a tour of the Lodge, or asking about regalia, but I'm fairly well versed in Masonic symbolism.

I don't think I'll ask about the bat-# crazy conspiracy theories 'cause they are, well, bat-# crazy, and I don't believe them.

After speaking to my uncle (who's a 32nd Degree member), he mentioned that there are other lodges in the area that basically are dues-free. What happened was that one or more deceased members willed the lodge money, and in one case, oil/gas royalties to the Lodge which allowed them to create a "Dues Annuity" which essentially covers your dues, for life.

The elderly gentleman I'll accompany tomorrow is very nice, and I'm worried about upsetting him if I decide to join some other lodge.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zhenyghi

Between the York Rite and Scottish Rite, is one generally preferred in certain regions?

In the United States, Canada, and the UK, the Blue Lodges are York Rite Bodies. The sole exception is a district in New Orleans, LA, where the Blue Lodges are Scottish Rite bodies (although they are under jurisdiction of the York Rite Grand Lodge).

After you become a Master Mason, you can advance further in the York Rite by going through the degrees in the Chapter, Council, and Commandery, or can proceed to the Scottish Rite, or both. The Scottish Rite recognizes the first three degrees of the York Rite, and so begins at the 4th degree.

Can you be a member of both?

Yes, and you will find that most active Masons are members of both.

Are additional dues involved with going into the advanced degrees?

Yes. Initiation fees and annual dues are required in all bodies in which you become a member. These vary according to their own individual by-laws.

edit on 4-6-2012 by Masonic Light because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Personally, I quite enjoyed the moment when I was restored to light and saw the Lodge room for the first time. I think it would have had less impact if I had known beforehand what it looked like.

Now, I always take my candidates around the building and show them the dining rooms and explain the history and stuff, but never take them into the Lodge rooms. I always do the Lodge room tour and explain the symbolism with my candidates after the first degree.

But that's a personal preference. At the end of the day, it's up to you.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I doubt he would be upset. He would probably be thrilled that you are joining whichever lodge you choose.

We have three lodges that meet in our building. Usually the lodges are arranged in districts or areas and all work very closely together, so you will meet and befriend the same guys.

top topics

join