It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professor says Turkish quake made cats suicidal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
pets.sympatico.ca... osting_news/professor_says_turkish_quake_made_cats_suicidal/d440d38b

The heart-breaking phenomenon seems to be plaguing cats in in Van City. Earthquakes wreak havoc on landscapes, structures and residents, but they it's not often you hear about their psychological effect on animals. Emotional devastation is not uncommon for the victims of natural disasters. A professor from Van's Century University in Haberturk, Turkey said the psychological aftermath of the powerful earthquake that hit Van City in 2011 caused the city cats to attempt suicide. "After the quake that jolted Van, a large number of cats are throwing themselves from heights," said Professor Abuzer Tas, a lecturer at the university's Faculty of Veterinary Studies. "They are growing fidgety by remaining in confined areas for a long time, and they are throwing themselves out to free themselves." Professor Tas did not provide data for his conclusion, but said his clinic was seeing an influx of cats with broken bones that had thrown themselves off balconies. "This is not the first case to come to us like this," he said, referring to one Van cat with a fractured leg that had jumped off the fifth floor of a balcony.

First, let me say that NO, I don't believe cats are suicidal.

I do however, believe that they sense things we don't and if they want to get the heck outta dodge, they are going to do it for whatever reason. Second, it may be possible that due to whatever forces of nature are taking place, thier depth perception could be messed up, hence jumping from heights that they perceive as safe.

Your thoughts?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
That's....
Unsettling.

I know cats. They don't go throwing themselves off balconies for no reason.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I would need some more data to jump to any conclusion at all..
Speculation on pre quake injuries, would be they sense the impending quake through static or piezeo electricity, or subtle vibrations, and decide to flee the scene......
On post quake injuries, agitation or panic may be the cause, but not proven certainty yet....we all know animals are far more atuned to subtle energies......

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Bath salts. I hear it makes crazy cats do anything.

Now it appears bath salts are causing felines to think they are lemmings?

Worst part is, the lemmings committing suicide is a hoax.... and no one told the cats

damn you decore... and your shampoo evil trade...

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
Bath salts. I hear it makes crazy cats do anything.

Now it appears bath salts are causing felines to think they are lemmings?

Worst part is, the lemmings committing suicide is a hoax.... and no one told the cats

damn you decore... and your shampoo evil trade...

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jerisa
pets.sympatico.ca... osting_news/professor_says_turkish_quake_made_cats_suicidal/d440d38b

The heart-breaking phenomenon seems to be plaguing cats in in Van City. Earthquakes wreak havoc on landscapes, structures and residents, but they it's not often you hear about their psychological effect on animals. Emotional devastation is not uncommon for the victims of natural disasters. A professor from Van's Century University in Haberturk, Turkey said the psychological aftermath of the powerful earthquake that hit Van City in 2011 caused the city cats to attempt suicide. "After the quake that jolted Van, a large number of cats are throwing themselves from heights," said Professor Abuzer Tas, a lecturer at the university's Faculty of Veterinary Studies. "They are growing fidgety by remaining in confined areas for a long time, and they are throwing themselves out to free themselves." Professor Tas did not provide data for his conclusion, but said his clinic was seeing an influx of cats with broken bones that had thrown themselves off balconies. "This is not the first case to come to us like this," he said, referring to one Van cat with a fractured leg that had jumped off the fifth floor of a balcony.

First, let me say that NO, I don't believe cats are suicidal.

I do however, believe that they sense things we don't and if they want to get the heck outta dodge, they are going to do it for whatever reason. Second, it may be possible that due to whatever forces of nature are taking place, thier depth perception could be messed up, hence jumping from heights that they perceive as safe.

Your thoughts?

Clearly, since the cats are alien spys and all, they have to free themselves from their biological feline body in order to return to the mother ship!

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I imagine that you are correct in them wanting to free themselves because of the fear, OP. Turkish Van cats are quite famous for being exceptionally intelligent and almost dog-like in their devotion to their owners. They are also the only breed of cat that enjoys swimming in water.

suite101.com...

The above citation also states that they like to get up in high places, so for them to jump in an effort to escape tells me that they sense something is wrong and are desperate to get away. Not exactly the typical behavior for a devoted and intelligent kitty. I don't believe they are suicidal, I believe they are reacting in fear. They probably sense something that the humans do not.

new topics

top topics

join