posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'd like to know why people feel it necessary to derail threads by turning them into a religious debate. Can we please stay on topic. "Another beautiful sea creature."

S&F to the OP. These things are beautiful, and I agree...I want a cat sized one to go with my pigmy polar bear.
It's threads like this why I like ATS so much.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Please remain on topic.

This is not a thread regarding religion or God, please keep your posts to the subject matter of the OP.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Beautiful little creature. I first saw them on one of David Attenborough's nature programs. Thought they were bigger though - they looked huge on the TV screen.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
People are so interested and excited about space exploration :the final frontier."

I on the other hand would be far more interested in exploring the oceans and all their nooks and seemingly bottomless depths. We know more about space than we do about our own sea floor.

Most things living in the sea look "alien" to me. When you really think about it, we're all aliens. We're all made up of the same compounds that exist in space. How did these compounds get here?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

wow very cooool. this is why i love ATS..papers don't have time for things like this...too much hate to print

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I dub thee the Falcore slug. Now all you have to do is fly, grow about 1000x your size, and understand simple english commands. Thats all.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I bet it would be good for fish bait.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Beautiful lil' critter o' the sea. I am almost alway amazed when I go out snorkling here in the Caribbean. We don't freedive any deeper than 50 feet, and yet hardly a dive date goes by where m'Bride and I don't see something that we've never seen before.

Last time out was at night; I was 'torching' for spiney lobsters. My Darlin' was in our inflatable boat, following my dive light. Suddenly, my light was surrounded by tiny little creatures, moving in an eliptical orbit around the light. I was fascinated. I thought to myself, "this looks like a Carbon atom".... and then it was an Iron atom and then the creatures came in geometric proportion, and seconds later, it was a Uranium atom....................... and then it got a tad creepy.
Local divemasters said they were tiny (and faaast) shrimp. They moved so quickly that I couldn't really focus on their shape. I got out of the water shortly after that, not really wanting to know what happens after Ununoctium.

We rowed about 500 meters west, and I went back into the water. This time, I was followed by a sea ray with huge eyes and all these tiny, tiny little commensals, some of them attached to the ray, and others just following; they made the ray look hairy.

The sea (and freshwater) is a wonderful place, and there are probably thousands of yet undiscovered species of kritters. Even the 'ugly' ones seem beautiful (to me) in their own way. Thanks, OP for showing us yet another life we didn't know about.
edit on 4/6/12 by argentus because: spellin'

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BrianDamage

It might be poisonous, it seems to be kind of bright. I dont know much about critters though.
Really awesome, I thought it looked a lot like something from a FF game as well.
edit on 4-6-2012 by smashdem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Wow, I never knew about this thing but it's an incredible and beautiful creature.

It's actually a voracious predator, stealing the poison from jellyfish and using it for itself.

That's one beautiful, badass little work of nature.

The species has a number of specialized adaptations that allow it to engage in a surprisingly aggressive behavior: preying on creatures much bigger than itself. The blue dragon, typically just an inch long, frequently feeds on Portuguese man o’ wars, which have tentacles that average 30 feet. A gas-filled sac in the stomach allows the small slug to float, and a muscular foot structure is used to cling to the surface. Then, if it floats by a man o’ war or other cnidarian, the blue dragon locks onto the larger creature’s tentacles and consumes the toxic nematocyst cells that the man o’ war uses to immobilize fish.

The slug is immune to the toxins and collects them in special sacs within the cerata—the finger-like branches at the end of its appendages—to deploy later on. Because the man o’ war’s venom is concentrated in the tiny fingers, blue dragons can actually have more powerful stings than the much larger creatures from which they took the poisons. So, if you float by a blue dragon sometime soon: look, but don’t touch.
blogs.smithsonianmag.com

For it's size, that thing is powerful.
edit on 4-6-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Definitely seeing some sacred geometry and that mathematical equation thing in its markings.

What is that math thing called? It can also be seen in other nature like a seashell.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Ah, thats frkin awesome, nice little blue sea dragon!

we need to conquer(as in explore) the deep sea first. there is soo much to learn.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Very amazing!

I myself tend to look at the stars and wonder whats out there, and kind of life that exist on other worlds,and yet in our own backyard there are awsome discoveries.

Our planet is a wonderful gift, from the plants to animals and even bugs that inhabit it.

I rember some play areas when I was a kid that were just like a block of trees or a field.
Now apartment complexes.
The frogs and snakes and salemanders are gone.

Kind of an eye opener here for us,meaning we all should think on keeping our planet lush and green and havens for our friends that also share our planet with us.
Even scary venemous spiders and snakes can hold cures for diseases.

I think and beleive that theres a cure for every disese/sickness on this planet,but the more we cut our trees down and lay pavement, we kinda slowly doom ourselves.
I think there was an article some time back LA would be 10 degrees cooler,if it did not have all the tar pavement and certain structures holding the heat in.

Id like to say so much but it kinda starys off topic.

S&F

COOL..

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Hi, beauty fans.

To stay on the topic of the "comparisons" many of us made,
do an IXQUICK.com search on FRACTALS !!
ixquick.com...
ixquick.com/do/search?q=%22%2Bfractal+%2Bphotos%22&lui=english

They are beautiful too, and some DO really look like the first photo !!

Blue skies.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
This one.......

....is funny, but toxic!!

Some successful toxins induce bradycardia or hypotension in a predator, allowing the nudibranch to escape consumption while its attacker is incapacitated.

Some sponge-eating nudibranchs concentrate the toxins from their prey sponge in their bodies, rendering themselves toxic to predators.
The evidence that suggests the toxins used by dorid nudibranchs do in fact come from dietary sponges lies in the similarities between the primary and secondary metabolites of prey and nudibranchs, respectively. Furthermore, nudibranchs contain a mixture of sponge chemicals when they are in the presence of multiple food sources as well as change defense chemicals with a concurrent change in diet.

This, however, is not the only way for nudibranchs to develop chemical defenses. Certain species are able to produce their own chemicals de novo without dietary influence.
Evidence for the different methods of chemical production comes with the characteristic uniformity of chemical composition across drastically different environments and geographic locations found throughout de novo production species compared to the wide variety of dietary and environmentally dependent chemical composition in sequestering species.

Another method of protection is the release of an acid from the skin. Once the specimen is physically irritated or touched by another creature, it will release the mucus automatically.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The Judges of Cool have decided
That Creature Shall be hunted to Extinction
For the CRIME of Being TOO COOL....

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Theres a few videos of them on youtube. im glad I saw them now instead of freaking out if I ever saw one in person
The last shot at 2:09 is my favorite.
edit on 4-6-2012 by tehdouglas because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join