It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ever had a song get stuck in your mind repeating over and over

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I tend to get this a lot when I'm in my car but before I actually hear the song! Maybe its just chance and radio stations are so damn repetitive it actually hard to tell but i have 5 stations which i have auto configured 1,2,3,4,5 .

Each station is slightly different 1,2 are rock stations 3,4 are rap and hip hop for the"girlfriend" 5 is oldies "parents". Well anyway i will get into my car not turn on the radio then a song will get stuck in my head and about 60 percent of the time I find that song playing between 1,2 at that moment and about 20 percent of the time it plays one or two songs later with 20 percent of the time me being totally wrong.

Interestingly I was just looking up what caused the song to repeat in our heads after hearing the song and came upon this article heres the link

tlc.howstuffworks.com...

Why do songs get inextricably stuck in our heads? Experts say the culprits are earworms (or "ohrwurms," as they're called in Germany). No, they're not parasites that crawl into your ear and lay musical eggs in your brain, but they are parasitic in the sense that they get lodged in your head and cause a sort of "cognitive itch" or "brain itch" -- a need for the brain to fill in the gaps in a song's rhythm. When we listen to a song, it triggers a part of the brain called the auditory cortex. Researchers at Dartmouth University found that when they played part of a familiar song to research subjects, the participants' auditory cortex automatically filled in the rest -- in other words, their brains kept "singing" long after the song had ended [source: Prokhorov]. The only way to "scratch" brain itch is to repeat the song over and over in your mind. Unfortunately, like with mosquito bites, the more you scratch the more you itch, and so on until you're stuck in an unending song cycle. There are many other theories about why songs get stuck in our heads. Some researchers say stuck songs are like thoughts we're trying to suppress. The harder we try not to think about them, the more we can't help it. Other experts claim that earworms are simply a way to keep the brain busy when it's idling [source: University of Cincinnati]. Just as there are many theories, there are many names for the phenomenon. It's been called everything from "repetunitis" to "melodymania." So why do some songs get stuck in our heads and not others?

Kind of like a brain virus interesting huh well I was thinking what if the song had subliminal messaging in it? The tune caused the brain itch and the subliminal message replayed over in our minds

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

classic
but seriously I think there might actually be more to this then meets the ear

people have complained about their ears ringing most people say its an ear problem tinnitus. what if in fact it was that brain itch just used with one tone that tone would repeat over and over making it seem Like one endless stream of ringing
edit on 4-6-2012 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I am profoundly deaf and yet, whenever I hear a song, I can memorize it beat by beat, note by note. I wasn't born this way but instead started losing my hearing at 5.

I find this interesting. I have problems with certain songs.

I will say that it does motivate me, especially if it's the right song that's stuck.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
I am profoundly deaf and yet, whenever I hear a song, I can memorize it beat by beat, note by note. I wasn't born this way but instead started losing my hearing at 5.

I find this interesting. I have problems with certain songs.

I will say that it does motivate me, especially if it's the right song that's stuck.

Yes I whole hearty agree with you its only certain songs.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
In my experience it is always the crap songs that get stuck in my head.

Although I did use to whistle the whistly bit from "Kill Bill" just to wind up the lads at work, it used to stick in their heads and wind them up. (It's the little things that get you through the day).

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Ohh that happens to me all the time when im listening to the radio or watching mtv or something. Thats the reason I dont listen to mainstream music. The music today is produced to do that. Most people tend to go and buy the song trapped in their head. There are certain notes and scales that go into the "brain" easily. The lyrics are also prone to create earworms. I listen to instrumental dubstep and ambient.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianDamage

lol I actually do that to my girlfriend for laughs i used the commercial for progressive " it was the best day, It was the best day, It was the best day because of you lol she does it back cant remember what she used right now

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
This reminded me of a kind of 'musical tinnitus' I was getting a year or so ago. It was like swirling random musical sounds, but with no actual music to it. I started playing with it, like- OK brain, lets do techno...badda badda badda badda bump bump bump bump badda badda...etc. Mabye taking control of it made it go away, I don't really know, might have just cleared up on its own.
But I think the song from the radio sticking in your head is similar to how media companies plant stuff in your head through television, music being purely auditory i.e. one sense makes it easier to spot than television, which uses sound and vision. The constant drip drip of social engineering you get off the tube irritates me to the point that I won't watch it anymore.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by hesse
Ohh that happens to me all the time when im listening to the radio or watching mtv or something. Thats the reason I dont listen to mainstream music. The music today is produced to do that. Most people tend to go and buy the song trapped in their head. There are certain notes and scales that go into the "brain" easily. The lyrics are also prone to create earworms. I listen to instrumental dubstep and ambient.

yeah i agree with you that music today is produced to do that maybe? But you listen too what? dudstep and ambient and you don't get that highly repetitive electronic beat or bass stuck in your head?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianDamage

I have a lot of doom metal songs stuck in my head. Mostly Black Sabbath, Cathedral, etc.

I am a DJ so it is my job to spin the best music I can find, new and old. Getting a song stuck up there is a major help when reviewing new music or looking for hidden connections between bands, etc.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
well yeah It does get stuck in my head, but at least I like it. But I dont listen to skrillex like dubstep. More chilled out melodic dub. If I like the song I dont mind getting the earworm. But if its the black eyed peas (time of my life the remix) or something it drives me nuts!!

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by freebornman
This reminded me of a kind of 'musical tinnitus' I was getting a year or so ago. It was like swirling random musical sounds, but with no actual music to it. I started playing with it, like- OK brain, lets do techno...badda badda badda badda bump bump bump bump badda badda...etc. Mabye taking control of it made it go away, I don't really know, might have just cleared up on its own.
But I think the song from the radio sticking in your head is similar to how media companies plant stuff in your head through television, music being purely auditory i.e. one sense makes it easier to spot than television, which uses sound and vision. The constant drip drip of social engineering you get off the tube irritates me to the point that I won't watch it anymore.

yeah i cant really watch TV any more i remember when cable was supposed to be commercial free thats why you paid for it but i guess greed got the better of cable channels.

iF dish network wasn't so crappy I might have bought the hopper that skips commercials i cant beieve they had the balls to try something like that but im happy they did

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by hesse
well yeah It does get stuck in my head, but at least I like it. But I dont listen to skrillex like dubstep. More chilled out melodic dub. If I like the song I dont mind getting the earworm. But if its the black eyed peas (time of my life the remix) or something it drives me nuts!!

yeah hell if its music you like then its not really a problem unless your trying to study then it makes you want to pull out your hair.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

interesting so this actually help you out.

funny for me i need total concentration on what I'm doing at all times I find this a major hindrance when trying to study or research something of interest

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

To me Ambient is the best music if im trying to study or researching something. It keeps me calm and focused and doesn't distract me either. But its not everyones cup of tea. Then again, there is also such thing as dark ambient/drone, that might work for the metal fans.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Text yeah i cant really watch TV any more i remember when cable was supposed to be commercial free thats why you paid for it but i guess greed got the better of cable channels. iF dish network wasn't so crappy I might have bought the hopper that skips commercials i cant beieve they had the balls to try something like that but im happy they did

It was more the shows I was thinking of rather than commercials. I thought about writing some kind of 'social engineering checklist' for watching cop shows, like
'hard headed sassy female team leader, (never has PMS)'--check
'several flawed subordinate male characters all with underlying racist/mysoginystic/alchoholic/violent tendencies'--check
'clean living black guy with none of above defects'--check
'ditzy typist who susses it at start of show but no-one listens'--check

But being pathalogically lazy I decided to just not watch it anymore.
PS like the signature take on B-52's

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

This has been the case for me for years upon years and it didn't happen until after I started losing my hearing.

It can be annoying but I call it my inner jukebox.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I have young kids, so those basic repetitive songs unfortunately get stuck in my head for days..... playing adult music does not help either, they always come back.... sometimes I feel like sobbing or simply puncturing my brain with an ice pick.

Walks away singing - Bob the builder, can we fix it? Bob the builder, yes we can! (oh crap no) Damm those earworms!
edit on 4/6/2012 by Mickierocksman because: Added bits and stuff....

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

I am a grandmother and when my grandkids' were little
they were hooked on the teletubbies!I kept humming,
tinky winky,dipsy,lala, po! Also,the theme songs from
Barney,Tale Spin and Rescue Rangers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join