It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nicholas Crace - oldest living kidney donor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

An 83-year-old man has achieved a double first by becoming the oldest living kidney donor in the UK and simultaneously becoming the oldest person in the country to give a kidney to a stranger. Nicholas Crace, a widower and former charity director from Overton, Hampshire, is one of a rare group of people known as “altruistic donors” – someone who gives a kidney to a person they do not know, but who is on the NHS waiting list for an organ. Mr Crace said: “I knew that 7,000 people are waiting for a kidney and that one person dies almost every day while waiting. “I couldn’t have lived with myself with the knowledge that I had had the chance of changing someone’s life and turned it down.”

What happens when a good man is too old to donate blood, or even bone marrow anymore? He donates a kidney. This man's kidney function is/was that of a 40 year old. A living donor kidney performs better according to the article, and this brave man was willing to give. Mr. Crace said it was an easy decision to make, as giving a little piece of himself would make a huge difference to someone else.

And that my friends is a real man, a real person, and someone we should all look up to. A kidney transplant isn't as easy as plucking a rose and giving it to a friend. You risk your life, and giving that rose to a stranger is an amazing act of love.

Link

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Don't let anyone tell you heros don't exist, because this man proves that wrong. ATS needs a touching story like this everyday.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

I would have been impressed had he given a kidney to a loved one. He decided to give a kidney to a stranger. I think he is a hero, at least to that strangers family, and I know I consider him one. The story made me want to grow up and take care of myself.

new topics

join