It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows login taking forever..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Do you have another user on that computer?

If you do, try logging in with that user, if you do not, create a new user and log in with that one, to see if takes a lot of time. A newly created user will take longer than an existing user because Windows has to create all those folders for the new user, but a second log in should be quick.

If it's quick then it's something that Windows is load for that particular user. I once had some problems because I had too many files and folders on my desktop, so it took a long time activating it.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I am the only one using this computer.Thanks for this suggestion,will try and see what happens.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Thanks to all that replied..I figured out what it was.A friend of mine was having the same problem.Turned out to be Zone Alarm.Uninstalled it and now there's no issues.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

That's one of the reasons I stopped using Zone Alarm, too many problems, specially performance problems.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78
Thanks to all that replied..I figured out what it was.A friend of mine was having the same problem.Turned out to be Zone Alarm.Uninstalled it and now there's no issues.

Out of curiosity - was it the free version...?

I apologise about the pratteling on and digressions - I'm nearing the end of my batchelor degree in software engineering, and I think the vast world of computers is nothing short of fascinating.

At the end of the day, if your computer is slow, it is doing something. You're lucky you were able to trace the performance issues back to a single application - its understandable that an antivirus app would elongate the login process; but my suspicions stand as to for what reason - good, or evil...

I found a great application yesterday, actually - I recommend any techno-junkies scope it out, if you don't already have it; Microsoft's 'Process Explorer' (just google it). It gives a thorough, in depth look into not only current processes running, but their memory allocation, assemblies and files in their posession, network traffic utilized, everything there really is to know... Comprehensive metrics collection is one way to please me

GL with your box. Love it, and it will love you!

-d.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

It seems a lot people are having issues with it.I just don't get why I never did until last week and i've been using it for a long time.To the poster above,yes it is the free version which I've used in the past and had no issues with.Which is why I'm surprised that's what it was.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by derpest

All the programs from what was once Sysinternals (now Windows Sysinternals) are very good, I have been using them for years.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
In most cases, you have some malware that is indexing your files at elevated priority in the background while you boot.
Just use Malwarebytes, scan the computer and it will find out what is running while booting and remove it . Get a program called Cleanup, by Steven Gould, and run that once in a while to get rid of stupid cookies that try and do this as well for continual maintenance.
edit on 7-6-2012 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join