It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows login taking forever..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Hey guys,having an issue just like the title says.Computer boots just fine and I'm not having any other issues after it's logged on.Once I get to the sign on screen it can sometimes take up to 3 minutes to load the desktop.Other times it doesn't load at all and just shows the welcome screen.I have to manually shut it off and try again.Sometimes I have to do it two or three times before it logs on.And that doesn't always work.I haven't changed anything as far as software/hardware at all recently.This has only been happening about a week.Today I did a system restore and that didn't help.

I've also gone into 'msconfig' and there isn't anything loading up that shouldn't be.I took my password off and rebooted and it took just as long to load the desktop.It loads just fine in safemode though.I've run anti virus and malwarebytes and everything has come back clean.Any suggestions you guys have would be appreciated.I'm running windows 7.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

My first thought would be to create a "repair" CD, start up to it, and let it run a startup repair.

I've given up on Windows 7, for a number of reasons not worth going into. I still support Win7 users at work; I just refuse to use it myself. I've found it counterproductive and suffering from a number of mystery ailments. I'm back to Win XP and much happier for it...
edit on 6/3/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
You should run a "chkdsk /f" from your command prompt. Defrag your HDD. It is getting hotter outside, so you may even want to physically 'wiggle' your memory sticks. If it is slow to come to desktop (past windows icon) then you will want to run your "ngen.exe" to make sure you dont have a back log in your updates.

x86 version (run from command prompt)
C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv4.0.30319ngen.exe executequeueditems

x64 version (if you are running 64 bit then you will want to do x86 as well)
C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFramework64v4.0.30319ngen.exe executequeueditems

"Cold boots" happen when you are starting your PC with the HDD at a complete stop. If you 'Restart' your PC and you notice windows loads quickly then you may want to consider backing up your information. It is normal for a cold boot to take longer but if it is unusually long then there may be festering HDD issue.
edit on 3-6-2012 by Cassey222 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Hmm,maybe I'll do that as a last resort.Thanks for the reply though.Personally,I don't mind Win 7.I've never really had any issues with it until now. I use my computers just to browse the internet..I don't use them for gaming or for work.So I suppose that's why I don't mind it.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassey222
You should run a "chkdsk /f" from your command prompt. Defrag your HDD. It is getting hotter outside, so you may even want to physically 'wiggle' your memory sticks. If it is slow to come to desktop (past windows icon) then you will want to run your "ngen.exe" to make sure you dont have a back log in your updates.

x86 version (run from command prompt)
C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv4.0.30319ngen.exe executequeueditems

x64 version (if you are running 64 bit then you will want to do x86 as well)
C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFramework64v4.0.30319ngen.exe executequeueditems

"Cold boots" happen when you are starting your PC with the HDD at a complete stop. If you 'Restart' your PC and you notice windows loads quickly then you may want to consider backing up your information. It is normal for a cold boot to take longer but if it is unusually long then there may be festering HDD issue.
edit on 3-6-2012 by Cassey222 because: (no reason given)

thanks for this,I will try running the chkdsk and see what I come up with.I'm not familiar with your other suggestions though. Not sure what "ngen.exe" is.I do regularely run my disk defrag.. are you suggesting that it could be hardrive failure?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
What is the nature of your environment that the box in question is within? Are you using a roaming profile? (ie: All of your stuff sits on a server somewhere, and gets transfered to your computer when you log in). The more gear and preferences you have set and saved whilst using a Roaming Profile can significantly increase the time it takes to Login, and 'Prepare your Desktop'.

Otherwise, I'd be saving your Documents and Media, and verfifying that you have copies of the applications you use...

... And then blowing everything away and starting with a fresh reinstall of Windows 7. Honestly, its just good practice to do this annually or so. Due to the nature of the beast that is today's Operating Systems, there is just such a vast pool of possibilities that it really could be anything!

Recap: Save. Wipe. Reinstall.

And you'll have essentially a brand new computer

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Have you installed anything lately or updated some software?

You can go to START at the lower left and then type in "msconfig" in the run or search window. This will take you to System Configuration. From there go to the "Startup" tab and you change what programs open at Windows bootup. See if anything isn't familiar and cut it off for a bit and restart to see if it speeds you up some.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Had the same problem, try taking out all cds out of drive, unplug usb drives, and externals.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

I've already done that.All that is loading upon start up is my antivirus and firewall.No rogue programs or anything.

Guys,I'm not having a problem once I get to windows or the boot up to windows.It is after I enter my password to log in where it takes forever.It boots up just fine and quite fast.After entering my password it stays on the welcome screen for up to 3 minutes...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

Cassey222 has some good ideas. I considered heat too. If you have a desktop machine, it never hurts to open it up and vacuum it out. Dust causes heat, and heat is a computer's worst enemy. Look around in there real good; you'll find dust clumps up in a lot of places. If your vacuum isn't strong enough, you may have to get in with a paintbrush and loosen some of it.

Yeah, I guess if you don't have to use it for work, Win7 can be a lot more fun. I ran it for months, and it slowed down my workflow to about 75%. I sincerely hate it. I'd rather stub my toe....

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Will try thanks

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Sometimes when windows sends down an update it is in a binary pack. Your computer will use the Net Framework to install these bits and pieces. "ngen.exe" is the program windows uses to do this, it is already on your system so no downloading it from some 3rd party. You can navigate to "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319 (or your current version)\" and find the ngen there. You can run it but since it is already running it wont do much ~.^. You need to tell it to force start so it get's all of it's idle work out of the way. So the easiest way to do this is just enter your version of that NGen.exe into your command prompt~

If you want you can also open your task manager and find the ngen process and see how much CPU it is sucking up. It is only supposed to run in background but sometimes gets hung up if the JIT file is flagged critical by Microsoft.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Honestly man, just bite the bullet and do a wipe. Its just like changing the oil in your car... There are fixes and remedies, but its just delaying the inevitable - and by that, I refer to the accumulation of crap on any user's machine.

You dont need to have downloaded anything recently. Computer Security 101 - as soon as a box touches the Internet, it is doomed. Thus is the nature of viruses and malicious additions to data; you're not supposed to know you have them.

The recommendation to vaccuum out your tower is valid - electronics are still vulnerable to a dust build up. Check your RAM banks; make sure they're sitting properly. Check physical connections, etc.

I know its a pain, but just start over - the time it will take to do a reinstall is going to be considerably less than the time it takes to figure out what is wrong, and you'll save alot of hair-pulling and swearing!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

Yeah, I guess if you don't have to use it for work, Win7 can be a lot more fun. I ran it for months, and it slowed down my workflow to about 75%. I sincerely hate it. I'd rather stub my toe....

If you hate 7 just wait until you see the nightmares 8 is bringing~ It's new! It's great! and PC platforms are an after thought~

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

I see that now. Sorry my brain is asleep already.

It sounds like something is still loading. You could try a boot trace .

Found this, sounds promising.
What's taking so long?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by derpest

Unfortunately he is correct for the most part. It can be easier to wipe and re-install but I normally recommend against it for the average person. Unless you are touting a bare-bones, out of the box PC it can be more pain in the long run. My home PC has been going for 4 years now without the first wipe. I just do regular maintenance. You can get most programs fro free that do really good jobs too. I highly recommend DeFraggler and CCleaner from Piriform.com. For security you can use a combination of Panda Cloud with AVG or COMODO AV; all of which are free. Then of course Ghostery, PeerBlock and AdBlock for your surfing enjoyment. Just like a car you have to do regular maintenance to keep things running smoothly~

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Cassey222

"Programs for free"

People, lets get one thing straight.

On the Internet, nothing is free.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Thank you for this..Skimmed over it and this could help.Mine is showing way higher than the example!

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by derpest

Theres no need for me to do a complete wipe.You obviously didn't read my post..I'm not having problems once I'm in..it's just taking time AFTER I enter my password.There's no problem with it booting up until it gets to the password screen.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

NEVER use a vacuum on the inside of your computer. The air passing over the electronics will strip out the electrons from the boards and components and cause a static buildup that could potentially kill your computer. Always use store bought compressed air it costs about $10 but its worth it.

Re-installing your computer should always be a last resort. Theres plenty of other ways to work out what is slowing it down.

When your computer has started up you can use MsConfig to check what programs you are running at the startup. To do this type MsConfig into the search bar in your start menu and click the 'startup' tab. You can disable any unwanted startup programs from here. Theres also a diagnostic option in the 'General' tab

How many processors does your computer have? If you have a dual core then you can speed up your startup time by telling the computer to used both cores. By default is is set to just 1 core during the startup process. To do this you use MsConfig again choose the 'Boot' tab then 'Advanced Options' and then set the 'cores' drop down selection tab to 2.

You can also delay when certain services on the computer startup which can increase you startup time through Control panel > Services and then right click any service thats set to automatic and choose 'delayed'. But unless you are really sure what you are doing this can be a bit hit and miss.

Good luck

- PhoenixOD (MCTS)

edit on 4-6-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join