It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electric Clothes?! 32 Innovations that will change your tomorrow!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
NYTimes

This is a pretty cool list of upcoming technologies and inventions that 'they' say will be available soon.

Electric Clothes?!

Physicists at Wake Forest University have developed a fabric that doubles as a spare outlet. When used to line your shirt — or even your pillowcase or office chair — it converts subtle differences in temperature across the span of the clothing (say, from your cuff to your armpit) into electricity. And because the different parts of your shirt can vary by about 10 degrees, you could power up your MP3 player just by sitting still. According to the fabric’s creator, David Carroll, a cellphone case lined with the material could boost the phone’s battery charge by 10 to 15 percent over eight hours, using the heat absorbed from your pants pocket. Richard Morgan

Some i thought were interesting were:

#14 - The SHUTUP Gun!

When you aim the SpeechJammer at someone, it records that person’s voice and plays it back to him with a delay of a few hundred milliseconds. This seems to gum up the brain’s cognitive processes — a phenomenon known as delayed auditory feedback — and can painlessly render the person unable to speak. Kazutaka Kurihara, one of the SpeechJammer’s creators, sees it as a tool to prevent loudmouths from overtaking meetings and public forums, and he’d like to miniaturize his invention so that it can be built into cellphones. “It’s different from conventional weapons such as samurai swords,” Kurihara says. “We hope it will build a more peaceful world.” Catherine Rampell

Sounds like the perfect weapon for any police force trying to quell protests.. Whats worse than using someones own voice, to silence them?!? Ha, sad that one of the creators hopes it will create peace.. i really don't see how. Its a potential personally freedom of speech denier app.. dangerous
found a youtube vid

**Added** Found a good ATS thread on this 'gun' already - Here

#20 - Synthetic Alcohol

Researchers at Imperial College London are closing in on a formula for a new kind of booze — synthetic alcohol, it’s called — that would forever eliminate the next morning’s headache (not to mention other problems associated with drinking). The team, led by David Nutt, a psychiatrist and former British drug czar, has identified six compounds similar to benzodiazepines — a broad class of psychoactive drugs — that won’t get you rip-roaring drunk but will definitely provide a buzz. According to Nutt, the alcohol substitute would be a flavorless additive that you could put in a nonalcoholic drink. And when you want to sober up, all you’d have to do is pop a pill. Clay Risen

Um... Like Synthehol? Star Trek style?
Its kinda wierd though, you can make any drink alcoholic by adding this stuff, and then when you want to sober up, you just take a PILL?! wth?

Check out the list to see the rest

Thoughts?!
edit on 6/3/2012 by Nspekta because: added ATS thread

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Pretty interesting stuff! I do agree the speech jammer will be a tool of oppression much as I'd like to have one at times
Imagine two people having an argument and both pull out their speech jammer LOL. Would end the argument at least temporarily I guess...

Why couldn't the electrical clothes concept using the heat differential be scaled up for home electricity?

edit on 3-6-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I dont remember where i have heard about the speech thing, but i remember learning that there was technology that could stop people from talking by playing back what they said milliseconds after. That is interesting but i dont think that is good, i see that as a control type of machine. people need the freedom of speech, even if it is someone annoying or someone with nothing good to say. No one should not be able to say what they want, or be stopped to say what they want.
As for the pill that makes you sober, i can see that as something good. I would like to know if there is any harm to the body from the pill or something but it sounds like that could be put to some good use.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Is there some way I can get the speech jammer to detect when my blood alcohol level gets above a certain point before it kicks on? This would save me much embarrassment. Now if I could just find a breathalyzer for my laptop...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I could not agree more to the play ground one!

Todays playgrounds are as fun as sand being thrown into you're eyes. Their too safe and forgiving. Scraped knees and broken arms are what makes kids understand consequence without dad having to hit the kids.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

The speechjammer sounds cool!

If you try to talk crap you cant because of the sound of your own voice. Theres something beuatiful about that.

Nice finds.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I am literally floored that even on ats there are people that think the speech jammer sounds cool..... No it sounds like an Orwellian Nightmare and I pray to god that whoever invented said technology destroys it when they realize what they've done.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by roguetechie

As with all technology, it only becomes a nightmare when its put in the hands of those that will use it to do harm.

Would you use it on an extremist thats trying to indoctrinate young minds in to his twisted belief system?

History has shown that simply locking people away does nothing, or of course you could just shoot him.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Speech jamming gun would come in useful when your girlfriend wants to talk about her "emotions".

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
OK, so say there's a woman in menopause with the electrical clothing that powers the "shut up gun" (hot flashes=more power) and has a bottle full of the pills that sober you up... would she then be "all powerful"???

edit on 4-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I dunno what's more fun - the news presented by the OP or a few of the responses from ATS'ers!

Great thread and pretty amazing stuff that!

Living in interesting times for sure.

peace

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Amazing stuff!

Personal Disclosure: The Speechjammer is a mind trick and doesn't really silence what was spoken which would be a half phased copy of the persons voice fed backupon itself .. instead its just messing with the persons own mind by forcing them into hearing a slight echo of their own which startles them and the shut up!

SOLUTION TO OVERCOME IT = ear plugs!

All diplomacy etc. should be carried out with everyone wearing ear plugs and that way everybody can say whatever they want and nobodys feelings get hurt!

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Man, I'm disappointed. Can't believe no one on ATS even told me about this SPEECH JAMMER!! Dang, do I need one. Where's the line and how much does it cost? Be there tomorrow to pick it up and I will have it hidden and directed towards my sister.

edit on 4-6-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Instead of spending your hard earned money on a speech jammer, just do what we used to do as kids. As soon as the other person starts talking either immediately start repeating what they say or talk when they talk. Trust me it will annoy anyone and probably get them to shut up just as well.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Some of those sound soo cool i can't wait!

And did anyone get another idea of what head you could stick into this?

This 15-minute shampoo treatment begins when you lean your head back into a machine that looks like a sink at the salon. First it maps your scalp, then it shoots streams of warm water and foam shampoo from its 28 nozzles before 24 silicone “fingers” work up a lather. One conditioning mist, scalp massage and light blow-dry later, you’re done.
edit on 4-6-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join