It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Unmanned Spy Plane Crashes in Pakistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   
An unmanned spy plane has crashed in southern Pakistan, making it the sixth such incident since 2001, when the USA began operations in the area. The incident occurred near the town of Jacobabad, 180 miles from the Afghan border.

ap.tbo.com
"We collected the debris of the 3-foot plane and handed it over to Pakistani officials at the base," said Jacobabad police superintendent Masroor Jatoi.

U.S. officials were not available for comment.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Six incidents in two years, with a price tag of $20-$40 million for a craft like the Predator, may seem costly for equipment that has such a high failure rate. But since the article nor the government mentions if the causes of these crashes are system failures or hostile fire, it is hard to judge.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I am thinkig as to how concerned the US is about them getting the technology.

Does the spy plane have some sort of auto destruct making reverse engineering impossible?

Although saying this, I guess that is one of the risks of spying. I wonder how the Pakistani government will react.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I don't think the Pakistan government will have any sort of reaction. They would rather us send spy planes in that region instead of having US soldiers on their soil.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Six incidents in two years, with a price tag of $20-$40 million for a craft like the Predator, may seem costly.

We collected the debris of the 3-foot plane.

If the quoted size is correct, this is not one of the major UAVs like the Predator. It sounds pretty minor.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Most likey this plane was looking for Osama since all the intel we have says hes in their some where. Our troops are not allowed to go in there so I dont even know what we would do if they spotted him with one of these drones.

I agree with cimmerius at 3ft that is no Predator. I have seen some models that small tested but have not known them to be in use.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I can fly and RC plane and chopper. This does not surprise me that they are "falling".

Did it say what brought it down?

[edit on 3-10-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
They're looking for Osama with Pakistan's blessings. Drone's are cheaper than people no matter how you slice it.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
They're looking for Osama with Pakistan's blessings. Drone's are cheaper than people no matter how you slice it.

Both very good points Grady.

I imagine they are flown by short range radio, with US officials being allowed into those areas. Yes, I would prefer a downed drone to a downed person.

[edit on 3-10-2004 by Kriz_4]

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
There are several types of small UAV's like the Tactical Shadow or the Scan Eagle, But If I was looking for Osama I would used a Predator so I could have 2 Hellfire Missiles at my disposal, just in case he pops his head out of a cave.

But they said 3 feet long. Although it must of had a "soft" crash landing if they can tell its length. Thats pretty small so, I would say that it was a Desert Hawk.

top topics

join