It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think we may be nearing a critical junction

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Hello folks I was musing and thinking about the future of warfare abroad and at home specifically focusing on drone technology and robotics and one thing shocked me.

If we compare how human brain size and intelligence has evolved over the past thousands of years and it has just reached its most brilliant periods in the most recent two thousand years it is taking a long time for us to become slightly smarter:

journalofcosmology.com...

www.pandasthumb.org...

Drones and robotics technologies are getting so much faster and smarter; much more so at an exponential rate. Things that humans were only able to do such as pattern recognition, tracking, evaluating, etc are now being done by drones. With computer speed doubling as per Moores law, and hard-rive capacities increasing ever so fast, I believe we are about to cross the place where a drone may one day have intelligence smarter than a human being.

Lets face it, our brains and head size is limited by the female pelvis, and its not getting any bigger anytime soon. Drones and robotics have no limits, and it is getting only faster and faster.

Imagine facing a machine that is hundreds of times smarter than you, tougher, more resilient and is programmed with no emotion. I think drones may be the end of human civilization, not nuclear war.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Nor followup with up bto was wha i read is that setime
sould love and the jews will notbe/
plan iran is thead thrsat wot inderynoe
it id goo lsade. Like a a courthose
like a cigaartue
edit on 3-6-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
battlestar galactica anyone?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Was your pet goat typing this...?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Actually Neanderthalls had larger brains than ours - and as for GRIN technologies you are way late to the party on this one!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
We are self evolving now...right in the starting stages, but most certainly we are entering into this time where our technology will integrate with us.
Its interesting..just when we are reaching the biological limit of growth, we are starting to adapt methods to increase the brain capabilities without requiring a size increase...

One could argue this to be evidence of something greater going on in our species.
that one would not be me mind you..but someone maybe

We will always be a step ahead of our creation (if we are wise)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JohhnyBGood

Well actually it is the surface area that counts, we have more sulci etc...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
Nor followup with up bto was wha i read is that setime
sould love and the jews will notbe/
plan iran is thead thrsat wot inderynoe
it id goo lsade. Like a a courthose
like a cigaartue
edit on 3-6-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

Actually, this was one of the more sensible posts you have made on ATS. Congratulations...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I do not think this will be the case. Chess computers can routinely beat 99% of the population. Computers are now getting so fast that complex algorithms can be processed.

Facial recognition is getting better and better and a computer can process many faces faster than a human. Facial recognition was a prime human ability and now the machines are entering the domain.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Pops, it sounds like your having a CVA with expressive aphasia

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
this is something that i have been thinking about alot lately. alot like some movies you see... -_-
I know this is kinda random, but.. can someone tell me how to post?? ive tried but failed.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by SaturnFX

I do not think this will be the case. Chess computers can routinely beat 99% of the population. Computers are now getting so fast that complex algorithms can be processed.

Facial recognition is getting better and better and a computer can process many faces faster than a human. Facial recognition was a prime human ability and now the machines are entering the domain.

The Geth:
A fictional sentient being of synthetic creatures created by an alien race. Each geth is actually just a housing unit for various programs.
The geth initially was built for routine,repetitive tasks, working in dangerous conditions, etc..helper robots.
as programs became more advanced and connected, and more cross referencing algorithms were initiated and integrated, the geth became "alive"...and turned on their creators of course (technically, the creators turned on them by trying to turn them off...details).

a master chess program cannot make pancakes..it plays chess...its not the code of any machines we need to consider, its the crossreferencing ability and fuzzy logic that could however pose a issue...thats what life is, creative crossreferencing and priorities.

Example of the horrors:
Machine is coded in to always preserve human life when possible.
Machine then reads the bible, reading many reports of it being the truth
Machine notes everlasting life (greater life) comes in death
Machine follows initial code to preserve life, but with new views on life..killing everyone so they can then have eternal life.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

This just came to my head
We humans were created to do the work of the gods, or alien species, whoever they were, possibly the anunaki.And as time went on we got to be a self sustained species and live on our own and make our own choices.Time went on and we create technology that can do things that we dont have to do ourselves, such as drones, or androids, or whatever. We have become gods in a way that is not so extended. But like what happened with humans, we did not want to be slaves to any being so something happened to where we were not enslaved by any gods, and that will be what will happen if we try to make these androids slaves to us, they will see this happen in a way possibly and try to break out of that enslavement. In a way i can see how that could be true, not saying at all that is what is happening but that was just a thought that came to my head.
think about it for a moment, that would be crazy.... but like i said it was just a thought, haha, i thought it was an entertaining thought though

link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Pops, it sounds like your having a CVA with expressive aphasia

If someone spoke like that in front of me, I would rush them to the hospital under the assumption they were having a stroke.

In all honesty, I am a bit unnerved by it...

link   

I thought human brain size and ability has been the same for 200,000 years?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I think once quantum computation takes off, plasma power stations become functional; that one day we will merge our biological structure with artificial intelligence. Of course, after that its anyone's as to what will truly happen to us as a species.

Perhaps the people in charge would tone down the violence, or perhaps we would all be turned into drugged out slaves to a non existent wage.

However, technology is what makes us different than all other animals. Remember, dolphins are pretty much on par as far as intelligence goes. They still haven't made any tech as far as I've seen.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Lets face it, our brains and head size is limited by the female pelvis, and its not getting any bigger anytime soon. Drones and robotics have no limits, and it is getting only faster and faster.

LMAO!!!!! I realize this is a fact but it caught me off guard with the rest of the post being serious...
"it's not getting bigger anytime soon"

I believe that we are being to co-dependent on technology any more. These gadgets, as I call them, control us. We [some people] can't function without the phone in our hand. We no longer have to think or calculate because these objects do it for us.

Look at young kids today. Something as simple as making change at a cash register is a conundrum to them if it weren't for the register telling them what to give the customer. Some can't read an analog watch because most are used to digital. And those are simple, basic stuff.

The computers are designed to be very complex and eventually, if we are not careful, they may very well take over because we'll need them to function for us. Of course, I'm talking way into the future. But even today, many are lost without their toys.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Not from the general information I know. For instance I know that eating meat allowed our ancestors to develop bigger brains

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Well that clears up what the vegetarians are all about then..............
Tho id od agree in principle with your extrapolation of AIs abilities, im not sure well allow this to go too much further.....
Heard ofrobot armed with a machine gun they were trying out in Iraq....It ma be BS but the robot supposedly had trouble telling friend from foe.....and a blue on blue occurred.....
The bot was withdrawn.....for further work....
Just sayin...robo cop is just around the corner.....
After we give them the power to take life, theyll be almost human.......
Well stay ahead by integrating with them bodily, installing technological enhancements to ourselves.....
Certain human functions will never be duplicated in our lifetimes....even if they develope a cray the size of a dime.....humans have a certain spark computers and such cannot match ever.....creativity

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
creativity - nope they got that pegged as well!

What is the ultimate idea? We, along with many others, believe that grandest of all notions is how ideas themselves are formed within the biological neural networks of the brain. If the principle behind this highly prized cognitive mechanism can be captured, understood, and then implemented within lightning fast machine intelligence, then we have attained the ultimate idea, the one that can generate all subsequent ideas.

In 1994, this company disclosed to the world an invention called the "Creativity Machine," a computational paradigm that came the closest yet to emulating the fundamental brain mechanisms responsible for idea formation. Over the next decade, we partnered with both government and industry to carry out projects that spanned all realms of human endeavor. That this fundamental AI principle could be applied across so many different problem areas such as theoretical chemistry, art, music, law, machine vision, and robotics, serves as testament to the power and flexibility of this general problem solving methodology. Fortunately, that breadth of applicability has kept this company thriving throughout the last decade, albeit utilizing only a small fraction of a percent of the technology's overall potential...................................................................l

www.imagination-engines.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join