It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grandmother, 80, Lands Plane for Dying Pilot Husband

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

An 80-year-old Wisconsin woman successfully landed a twin-engine plane after her pilot husband became unconscious and later died, Fox 11 reports. Authorities say the woman's 81-year-old husband suffered a medical condition while he was at the controls of the plane and lost consciousness. His wife, who had no flying experience, called on the radio for help. The Door County Cherryland Airport in northeast Wisconsin sent a second plane up to help coach the woman down. "She's not a licensed pilot and has very little on flying an aircraft," said Door County Sheriff Terry Vogel. The plane then began to run out of fuel and the right engine lost power. With the help of the second pilot, the woman was able to successfully land the plane. /ex]

Link

edit on 3-6-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I listened to some of this audio today on the local radio and came away very impressed with all involved. This woman had hardly any flight time, and what little she did have was from long ago. She believes her husband is dying, and eventually lands the airplane safely after three attempts. Another pilot hopped in his plane and helped talk her down. The audio is really something and I'm still amazed how calm everyone remained.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I am shamelessly bumping this thread because I think there are some members out there that would genuinely enjoy the story. It is rather amazing.

join