It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wolf [NATURE]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The sun upon her skin was like the warm breath of a passionate lover, the breeze his fingers carressing that which could never be seen, much less touched. Her long hair tickled her bare skin where it brushed just above her waist. It felt so good to be free, to be unconcerned with the eyes of strangers, for here no man dared walk.

Cupping the ice cold water into her palm, again and again she poured it over her face, chest and arms. the way the sun hit the droplets it appeared to her eyes like a million tiny diamonds trickling over bare flesh. The greatest wealth of all is the freedom found in being alone with these gifts given by GOD. Cupping more water she drank deeply, feeling it slide down her parched throat. She couldn't wait until she reached the pool underneath the waterfall, only three more miles to go, and then she would swim... thinking of this moment she smiled brightly and stood. Time to go.

As she walked she saw many beautiful and strange animals, a red fox peeking out from behind a bush on her right, a rabbit scurrying across the path, a doe off in the distance. But it was the waterfall and pool below it which beckoned her forward. As she came to the waterfall she quickly removed her clothes, no need for a bathing suit here, She dove into the cold water, no longer human, but mermaid, she swam with the small fish. As she came up for her first breath she saw him for the first time.

A wolf. Grey the color of his coat, she could she his muscles rippling as he tensed at the sight of her. She couldn't breath, and was afraid to move for fear of scareing the magnificent beast. For a long time their gazes held, neither of them moving, curiosity holding both rigid. As he started to move she noticed his leg was injured, and she was sad for him. Softly she told him not to be afraid, because she would never hurt him. He seemed in her mind to aknowlege her words, but left the pool regardless.

Feeling lonely for some strange reason, without the contact of the beast any longer, she went about the rest of her swim and day. As night started to fall she pitched her tent in a small clearing and made a fire to cook a meal upon. With a full belly she lay down for sleep, but as she lay there looking at the sky she heard a crack nearby. Turning her head in the light of the fire she saw his eyes, the eyes of the wolf, twinkling red in the fires glow. Staring at her.

Knowing about wild animals she knew that his injury was making it difficult for him to hunt, therefore she surmised his hunger was what was causing such contact. Knowing she had a little food she could share, she decided to befreind him. Speaking softly with her every movement she moved in a non-threatening a manner as possible, always keeping him in her sight. She reached her pack and removed a bit of food, all the while he was watching her and dancing on the other side of the fire, like he wanted desperately to run, and just as desperately to trust her.

Throwing toward him the last bit of cooked food, as it landed he made a run for it. Sad once more, she fell asleep. When she woke in the morning the wolf had returned, standing eerily close to her, the fire had long died. Deciding not to feel any fear, for it was GOD who had brought them together, she went about her morning, taking another swim, then she prayed, after which she started the fire again and made some breakfast. This food she shared, bite for bite, with the wolf. She would take a bite for her, then throw a bite toward him, all the while enticing him closer and closer to her. She wanted to know the feel of his coat, wanted desperatly to touch him.

He never came close enough for the touch, but all the way down the mountain he followed her, keeping a goodly distance. When she came to her vehicle she took one last bit of food, and placed it upon the seat, and held open the door for him, and told him to come on if he was coming home with her. After dancing for a few minutes, he jumped into the car and she promptly shut the door. She got into the drivers side vehicle and drove into town to the nearest vet, who set the animals leg, and she took the wolf home and cared him back to health.

After his leg was healed, she set him free at the same place she found him. And cried for his loss, and found joy for his freedom.... a freedom she will never have.

This is a true story, but told as a story, it happened in the Sandia's. The waterfall is about a 5 mile hike.

edit on 3-6-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I'll have to say this is my favorite story in the contest so far. I shivered as I read the first paragraph.

You can talk about nature, and talk about wolves, but when you combine both into the same story, you have a winner IMO.

SnF, and the best of luck!

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Thank you so much for the compliment, I truely appreciate it.
(and for your vote!)

I thank everyone who gave me their vote, it was very kind of you all..
edit on 4-6-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Whoa, that was beautiful.

I am feeling that there is kind of a thematic kinship between our stories.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eidolon23
Whoa, that was beautiful.

I am feeling that there is kind of a thematic kinship between our stories.

Ohh thank you so much for the compliment!

Yes there is a type of kinship, your story had a definite unexpected twist that made it all the better though

edit on 6-6-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Beautiful story, and reminds us of that we were all once part of the fabric of nature. She was willing to risk her life to help the wolf, and that's part of the best of what we are -- what humanity should stand for.

top topics

join