It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pa. Welfare Agency Spends $20K ... on Flag Pole

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I`m thinking this goes in this forum because...well, it has a flag.

Pa. welfare agency spends $20K ... on flagpole

www.philly.com...

HARRISBURG, Pa. - The state Department of Public Welfare is spending nearly $20,000 to install a flagpole at its Harrisburg office building even as it looks for ways to cut public assistance programs and costs. The Patriot-News of Harrisburg reported Friday that department officials defended the expenditure as a small price to satisfy some employees who are service members and are being moved from a leased space nearby. But some other veterans thought the price tag was steep.

Somehow, I don't think Veterans were sacrificing limbs, lives and sanity for $20,000 flag poles. The right to fly the flag would be the real reason I believe.

$20,000 on a pole? With or without the flag, it's ridiculous IMO.

Hey Harrisburg...Here's one for $299 and it's on sale for a bargain at only $189!
www.tele-pole.com...

But ok, I realize that you might need something a little bigger. '60 ft enough? It is a public building after all. So how about this one at Regular price: $5,364.95 Sale price: $5,252.95 ... Shipping included!
www.theflagpoleco.com...

Not enough? How about '80 ft of flag pole for Regular price: $9,195.95 Sale price: $8,922.95
www.theflagpoleco.com...

Half price of the $20,000 tag...

See? Not hard to save that money is it? Or I'm thinking that someone in that office has a friend who has a cousin that knows someone that owns a flag pole manufacturer...

I mean $20,000 will buy a lot of bread, rice, potatoes or whatever else that people DON'T have.

Peace

edit on 3-6-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I argee thats way to much.
I am convinced that most state departments like this just fudge the numbers and pocket the difference. I don't have evidence but i just know it happens
But if theres one thing i've learned while living America is that people love there flags here.
I remember working at a hotel and having a guest complain saying the Canadian flag is higher then the American one(this was right near the boarder) It was not the American one was in fact higher. Now im not sure what was wrong with this guy but he was going ape when i tried to point out that the American flag was higher.In the end i just had to say 'oh yeah i see it now' because the guy was actually getting aggressive.

crazy

ETA: i wonder if someone is going to post how this is some how Obama fault.
edit on 3-6-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3

ETA: i wonder if someone is going to post how this is some how Obama fault.

This is entirely Obama's fault....

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Now imagine how many freakin flagpoles there are across the country and world..

PEOPLE ARE STUPID.

I want to slap the person(s) who made this decision.

And then I want to slap the people who think a flagpole is worth $20,000. SERIOUSLY.

You could practically give those things away for FREE, or better yet, use a log or something.
like a totem pole for flags...

We need to be smart with our money, our time and our BRAINS. SERIOUSLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
How many people's lives could that have helped for the better?
Who would have then went on to possibly help other people...

Nope, this flagpole is now holding up a flag.. to the testament of a long lost and forgotten idea...

All men are created EQUAL..........knowledge is power if you keep it for yourself...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Now imagine how many freakin flagpoles there are across the country and world..

PEOPLE ARE STUPID.

I want to slap the person(s) who made this decision.

And then I want to slap the people who think a flagpole is worth $20,000. SERIOUSLY.

You could practically give those things away for FREE, or better yet, use a log or something.
like a totem pole for flags...

We need to be smart with our money, our time and our BRAINS. SERIOUSLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
How many people's lives could that have helped for the better?
Who would have then went on to possibly help other people...

Nope, this flagpole is now holding up a flag.. to the testament of a long lost and forgotten idea...

All men are created EQUAL..........knowledge is power if you keep it for yourself...

Damn! Never thought of that...how many flag poles in the US? The World? Staggering to think.

But somehow I think that the poles in the US are going to carry a heavier price tag. Maybe not.

Peace

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I used to work at an architectural firm. We did some government work. I think what's happening is that there are somewhat severe specifications that have to be met. The easiest way to buy a flagpole is to look in a pre-approved catalogue in which everything already meets those specifications.

Of course the prices are highly inflated--but they're guaranteed to meet the government specs. I'm not saying that you couldn't go out and buy a flagpole elsewhere that meets those specs. But that would mean someone would actually have to do the work: Someone whose only skill-set is an ability to narrowly interpret welfare regulations so as to disqualify the qualified and qualify the unqualified....

edit on 6/3/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I hate flags

Humans believe in the most stupid things, like somehow flying a a piece of material that happens to have 3 specific colors on it in a particular pattern honors people.

edit on 3-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Humans are stupid to require a flag to be flown anywhere

edit on 3-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

Agreed.

It's only to say "Mine!" And "This is who I am". As if that's their only claim to an identity.

Pretty weak IMO

Peace

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

While I agree that 20k seems excessive, I don't think you're factoring in costs of labor installation. Of course the flag pole alone isn't 20 grand. The cost to do the entire job is 20k. That includes clean up as well I'm sure. Perhaps a pocketed 4k on the side too

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
reply to post by jude11

While I agree that 20k seems excessive, I don't think you're factoring in costs of labor installation. Of course the flag pole alone isn't 20 grand. The cost to do the entire job is 20k. That includes clean up as well I'm sure. Perhaps a pocketed 4k on the side too

I can understand some costs but...IT'S A POLE!!!

And the pocketed 4G might be a little higher I think.

I guess poles just cost more than when I was young...

Peace

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Im a Pole, and So Can You!

lol this article has me cracking up pretty good.

lol "It's a pole!"

Lets hypothetically say you get 6 county fellas @ 30 bucks an hour to install the pole. Let us say it take them 2 days to get the material to the job, set the job up safely and install the pole. They do clean up after ward.
= $2,880.00
(8 hour day assumed)
edit on 3-6-2012 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

lol "It's a pole!"

Lets hypothetically say you get 6 county fellas @ 30 bucks an hour to install the pole. Let us say it take them 2 days to get the material to the job, set the job up safely and install the pole. They do clean up after ward.
= $2,880.00
(8 hour day assumed)
edit on 3-6-2012 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

Ok, we go with $2,880.00 for labor etc...and then here comes THE POLE!

$17,220.00 for a POLE!

I REALLY want to see this POLE. It has to be the biggest, baddest POLE around...

Peace

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
My God !

What would Michelle say ?

"All this for a f'n flag"

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Most likely the pole cost $300 bucks and it took $19,700 for the labor of installing it.

Ridiculous?

Absolutely.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

edit on 3-6-2012 by neo96 because: double post sorry

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

reply to post by jude11

lol "It's a pole!"

$17,220.00 for a POLE!

I REALLY want to see this POLE. It has to be the biggest, baddest POLE around...

Indeed! Must be the most amazing pole ever.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Most likely the pole cost $300 bucks and it took $19,700 for the labor of installing it.

Ridiculous?

Absolutely.

The pole is a job creator.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Ridiculous?

Absolutely.

The pole is a job creator.

So basically, this POLE is creating more jobs than Obama...

We don't need Ron Paul. The POLE can replace the POTUS quite nicely.

Now I'm starting to gain some respect for this POLE.

All hail the Chief...oops, I mean "All Hail The Pole!

Peace

edit on 3-6-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
And the best part is they could have got the labor for a wash.

Put some welfare recipients on temporary work details !!!
They get paid anyway....right ?

Get Ready for your new jobs !!

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a public work relief program that operated from 1933 to 1942 in the United States for unemployed, unmarried men from relief families, ages 17–23. A part of the New Deal of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, it provided unskilled manual labor jobs related to the conservation and development of natural resources in rural lands owned by federal, state and local governments. The CCC was designed to provide employment for young men in relief families who had difficulty finding jobs during the Great Depression while at the same time implementing a general natural resource conservation program in every state and territory. Maximum enrollment at any one time was 300,000; in nine years 2.5 million young men participated.

The American public made the CCC the most popular of all the New Deal programs.[1] Principal benefits of an individual’s enrollment in the CCC included improved physical condition, heightened morale, and increased employability. Of their pay of $30 a month, $25 went to their parents.[2] Implicitly, the CCC also led to a greater public awareness and appreciation of the outdoors and the nation's natural resources; and the continued need for a carefully planned, comprehensive national program for the protection and development of natural resources.[3]

During the time of the CCC, volunteers planted nearly 3 billion trees to help reforest America, constructed more than 800 parks nationwide and upgraded most state parks, updated forest fire fighting methods, and built a network of service buildings and public roadways in remote areas.[4]

Civilian Conservation Corps

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join