It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thought Association

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I am not sure about everybody else but when I have thoughts, if I think about an apple I hear the word appled in my head in my native language. I do not necessarily have to think of a picture of an apple and when I do think of pictures instead of words it actually appears to take slightly more effort for me.

Now I may make a little assumption here and presume most other people are like me, please correct me if I am wrong. So if we do use our thought association in a linguistic kind of way then how does this affect a person that does not understand a language. Does that make their brain's less capable of thought than those that do understand language? also just thinking out loud here but does that mean all the animals aside from a much lowerf intelligence also maybe do not have the ability to think beyond instintice actions?

Just putting these thoughts out there with the hope of some constructive discussion on how other people think their own brains work.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
SF for the analysis. I myself have wondered this, and it brings to mind a thread I read a few weeks ago. It mentioned a person born in the dark or something like that. Anyway it made me wonder what a person's thought process would be if a human was placed in a dark room at birth with no ineraction with light or language. Does that mean they would not be able to think in a complex manner? Although I am legally blind, my visual thoughts still seem to be quite good. For instance, if I want to picture an event of me and a family member, I can actually see it in my head almost picture perfect. I find this cool, because I will never forget that person and how they looked, or how they sounded. Going back to a person who has no interaction with language or visual stimuli, if this person was actually raised by wolves or apes, would they actually be more intelligent as the animal who raised them? Very ineresting thread, and I look forward to seing how it goes.

reply to post by michael1983l

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
It really does make you wonder doesn't it, is our capabilities limited by the level of stimulus we are capable of absorbing from around us or are we capable of true independant thought without the need for stimulus to facilitate this? It is a very interesting question for me and a question that can only ever probably be hypothesised on rather than ever truley answered.

new topics

join