It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beware These Scams!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by NotApplicable

Don't forget the adds you get in your email that try to get you to buy stuff that supposedly makes your penis 50% larger.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Right haha, are you speaking from experience? You don't have to answer that, but I've always heard the only way to gain an inch or two is surgery and there is no "magic" pill for that. I've never experimented with any of the pills and do not plan on getting surgery as I am content the way I am.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
It is All a scam!

look at computers.
you buy a computer. then try to buy the latest game.
but need to up grade the ram and graphic card.
next year...you get to do it all over again.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AaronWilson

metals are rocks. different textures/properties/melting point, etc... A case can be made that water is a rock/metal because it has a low melting point(33 degrees F). If humans were somehow not hurt by cold weather, I am rather certain H2O would be looked at as a rock/mineral rather than how we currently perceive it...

H2O can also be a gas...

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
Beware of those inkjet printers that claim you'll spend less for ink. The ink cartridges just hold less ink, that's why they cost less. Corporations are always trying to rip-off the consumer. I always thought there were laws to keep advertisers honest to protect the consumer. Have we lost that right too?

The TV infomercials are all scams. They offer a free supply of products but they charge you shipping and handling that cost as much as the product itself. The main product never works the way it does on TV.

Shouldn't congress start passing laws to protect the consumer?

Yep.
I buy my insurance local, so I (hopefully) ain't going to be supporting television advertizing companies...

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotApplicable

Right haha, are you speaking from experience? You don't have to answer that, but I've always heard the only way to gain an inch or two is surgery and there is no "magic" pill for that. I've never experimented with any of the pills and do not plan on getting surgery as I am content the way I am.

No, i don't buy that crap and i dunno how they got my email address either.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

You may have given your e-mail address to a company that sells e-mail address to advertisers. Be sure to read the fine print when giving out any personal information!

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Banks, Goverment, other citizens pretty much everyone is out there trying to scam you, We have been brainwashed in this country to believe we need everything. Break the cycle don't buy useless crap.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by pa.Frost
reply to post by AaronWilson

metals are rocks. different textures/properties/melting point, etc... A case can be made that water is a rock/metal because it has a low melting point(33 degrees F). If humans were somehow not hurt by cold weather, I am rather certain H2O would be looked at as a rock/mineral rather than how we currently perceive it...

H2O can also be a gas...

huh???

Metals are elements. Alloys are a mixture of metals. Rocks may have metals in them, but that's usually called ore. It has nothing to do with melting point. Mercury is a metal that is molten at room temperature. That's why it is liquid. H2O is hydrogen and oxygen which are both elemental gasses.

There is no twisting these things.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I went to the link you provided. That was a terribly misleading report. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

They say:
Don't let your pieces out of jewelery out of your site, and "make" them take out the gems for you. Most reputable dealers have show the % they pay on their website etc etc MAKE THEM TAKE THEM OUT!!!

This is a scam report. Most of these consumer advocacy sites create a mindset that is totally unreasonable. The tell you to treat the people who happen to work hard for a living as thieves and encourage you to insult the hell out of them.

The same goes for "this is how you buy a diamond sites" They are a huge scam too.

If you want the best service, you can get a jeweller to take out all your stones but you will have to pay for their time and expertise. Who knows what they will change (ask for the p/hour cost) and do you really expect to be let into their workshops, surrounded by expensive bits and pieces that they are in no position to get out of your sight because you think they can't be trusted. This will never happen!

If you follow the advice given on that site you will be shown the door, just as you deserve. Go away and huff and puff and say, "yes the consumer advice site was proven right". Now spend 20 hours working on various people until you think you cheated the system. You will no do so well. Professional services don't let you play these games, ever. If you act like that and find someone being agreeable, they are planing to cheat you, because you cost money to deal with, and too much money for any normal business to afford - unless you pay for the extra service - the cost of being paranoid.

Will the reputable jeweler who has a workshop offer you the same price as a refiner who operates trade only? It sure seems to be the expectations they foster. Jewellers send kilo's to the refiners. Even they are forced to trust someone.

None of the trade jewellers use the buy-back people, even though they offer jewellers much better prices than consumers. It all has to be done properly. It has never been otherwise and never will be.

Don't waste your money on $50 scales that weren't accurate 10 years ago when they were bought at the bargain basement. You won't make your acid work accurately. If you can't read the Karat fineness, you probably don't have gold. If you have gems and don't know their worth, your gems are probably worthless, but if there are diamonds, they will probably be old and of no use to anyone (especially you) except that poor bench jeweller who does repairs. He may use them match old diamonds that fell out. Unless you have a new piece with new diamonds cut to today's standards, they have no value. Small diamonds are very cheap. If you thought you had a bargain because your piece has 1ct of small diamonds, you are wrong. Chances are, the guy taking them out is going to break-even on the labour and yes, it can take hours. Bezel set diamonds need to be carefully cut out with a jewellers saw, over a clean bench, for example.

I make these points with the expectation that you were already ripped off by buying cheap goods that appear to have much more value than they do, and even 20% off. This is the situation I expect you to find yourself in, if in case you buy any of the hog wash presented in the link. That is, if you know your jeweller and trust him / her they will have explained things a lot better. I'm sorry but smart people don't waste their money on cheap items.

Here is a huge scam that people aren't noticing.
Consumer advocacy sites create distrust because that's what hooks you into their way of thinking and keeps you coming back. At the same time, you'll be steered towards their advertisers, who of course pass all tests with flying colours. You take their advice at your own expense.

Go into a shop you like, be trustworthy and pay normal money for normal services. When you try to beat the system you fall into the traps.

another rant...
sorry

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom
I'd like to add one potential scam that hasn't been mentioned here yet:

Reverse Mortgages

Does anyone here not think it's a rip-off just waiting to be exposed?
I've always wondered about reverse mortgages,whats the catch with those?

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by bowtomonkey

I am sorry(Honestly. My thoughts aren't understood sometimes from lack of knowledge of certain things.).

I wasn't trying to twist anything, but, say for instance the whole planet was cold but we didn't feel pain from low temps... would not ice be like a rock? we could melt it down into things and let it "freeze" into certain forms. We could even put food coloring into it then make slats and build a fence. See the strange point I was trying to make? Just think about it for a second. I know it is not a hypothetical situation, it is impossible to live on such a cold planet, but I am just trying to open up a mind or two... not replace laws of science and elements.

Fake diamonds look just like real ones to me. I don't like either personally. I don't understand the attraction of rare shiny things. Life is rare, and I appreciate it. No money can buy me off of that.

One question though... does not mercury "freeze" at a certain temp as well? I quote the word freeze because I am trying to separate the human feeling of cold(i.e., "it's freezing outside!") from the word solidify... but you already knew that. Heh!

I'm dumb as hell... I just hope my confusion doesn't anger anybody.
edit on 6/8/2012 by pa.Frost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by pa.Frost
reply to post by bowtomonkey

I am sorry(Honestly. My thoughts aren't understood sometimes from lack of knowledge of certain things.).

I wasn't trying to twist anything, but, say for instance the whole planet was cold but we didn't feel pain from low temps... would not ice be like a rock? we could melt it down into things and let it "freeze" into certain forms. We could even put food coloring into it then make slats and build a fence. See the strange point I was trying to make? Just think about it for a second. I know it is not a hypothetical situation, it is impossible to live on such a cold planet, but I am just trying to open up a mind or two... not replace laws of science and elements.

Fake diamonds look just like real ones to me. I don't like either personally. I don't understand the attraction of rare shiny things. Life is rare, and I appreciate it. No money can buy me off of that.

One question though... does not mercury "freeze" at a certain temp as well? I quote the word freeze because I am trying to separate the human feeling of cold(i.e., "it's freezing outside!") from the word solidify... but you already knew that. Heh!

I'm dumb as hell... I just hope my confusion doesn't anger anybody.
edit on 6/8/2012 by pa.Frost because: (no reason given)

You have a strange sense of things. It's not a bad thing. Some times you have to think right out of the square, when some things won't budge.

Yes, when Mercury freezes it is just a solid metal that happens to be cold.

Are you very young, drug affected, traumatized or a mixture of all three (remembering that drug addiction needed be externally induced)?
edit on 10-6-2012 by bowtomonkey because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join