It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beware These Scams!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I wouls also include those places where you buy "paper" certificates for gold and silver. They keep it in avalut for you charging you security fees and you can nef=ver take posession of the physical asset. If you don't hold it in your hand you have nothing and then you still might have something with a tungestun core.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Haha yea if you are going to invest in something like that it's best to have the tangible object itself rather than just a certificate saying you own it.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotApplicable
reply to post by bowtomonkey

Thank you for opening my eyes more on the subject matter. Do you think the episode was meant to be interpretted in only one way? I was only sharing my perspective on the episode.

Do you think since there are so many bad companies offering such low buy back values, people just assume its the best they are going to get and just sell it?

The low buy back values are low because they are selling product that looks expensive hoping to get the highest margin they can. They don't want it back. If they put 100% mark-up they still wont to pay 50%, there are taxes and other costs involved. 100% mark-up is a low mark-up compared with clothes and food etc.

There are some shops that will pay you the full price, minus restocking fee if you buy another product of the same value. These companies are planning to sell your item again. This isn't going to be the case in the cheaper end stores because the product isn't made to last. It's not made to last because well made goods costs more and they are invariably trying to sell their product for less than the wholesale price of the competitors goods.

Example
A. High quality, cost price $2000 (sell $3000) 1ct diamonds, 5 grams - will buy back, less $300 restocking fee
B. Low quality, cost price $1100 (sell $1990) 1ct diamonds, 5 grams - no buy back, you might get 30%

The above is not necessarily a workable situation. With staff costs and High St rental prices, I think that example A. will go broke. Don't ever suspect that you can beat the system, as you will play into example B, hands, and pay less for much less.

It's a cost for service. It is also a cost for a product that was made with love, however people are expecting free love, lol. It's a damning indictment on the level of stupidity in our society - where in fact "A poor man can't afford cheap articles".

To answer your question re: South Park
I think they chose jewellery as the most annoying of infomercial products and this particular episode wasn't thought through, so the statement they made was not what they intended at the start. That would be my guess. It ended up, well this is how capitalism works, despite making out the product and sales are totally shambolic.

I cringe at those shows because the sales people just make it up as they go. I can't but look at the goods as their melt down value, because the product is shoddy. I could recover about 1/2 the purchase price. (Often the cheap stuff from China - coming from the wholesaler, matches the purchase price for the materials alone, here in Australia). In essence, it's possible to buy jewellery 'on sale', which has no mark-up, that can be melted down and reused with no loss from the purchase price. There is no other product like that, as far as I know.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotApplicable
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Haha yea if you are going to invest in something like that it's best to have the tangible object itself rather than just a certificate saying you own it.

Both are good investment tools. More people should get hold of the physical product, as very few do and there is peace of mind, in case there is a run on and the physical product doesn't exist etc. There are associated costs with buying gold bullion eg. Physical platinum is much more expensive than gold because of the heat needed to refine it.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I have a small bit of advice:

SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS.

Prices are continuing to climb but companies still continue to make their shoddy crap in China.
Half the stuff I buy breaks within weeks. I am on my 3rd Sony DVD player in 3 months. No, I am not throwing it to the floor or stuffing tortillas into it. Just using it like a normal DVD player. But after a few weeks it stops playing. The one I recently replaced was a Sony DVD player my ex bought me a good 14 years ago. So why can't they make one that lasts even a tenth of that?
So I pack it up, take it back to Target and thunk it on the counter with my receipt and say "here you go". So long as they insist on selling cheap s**t for exploitive prices, I refuse to feel bad.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by bastet11

That is very wise of you, and sound advice. I've had a few things break on me that I only had for a short time for no real reason and couldn't take it back because I threw away the only thing that proved I bought it

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
u forgot college

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
In times of austerity like these (apologies for using the "A" word!) there will always be people trying to make a fast buck from people down on their luck.
However, more than ever, the old adage "If it seems too good to be true the it IS too good to be true" rings truer than any other time I can think of.

I'd like to believe that ATSers are a bit more savvy when it comes to buying and selling on the Internet but a here's a few tips to help you out.
If you're browsing a website you've not used before type its name into Google or whichever search engine you use and just type "review" next to it. Don't just go on the first review you read, trawl through several to get a better idea of what people think of the site. Be wary though as a lot of these sites will post fake reviews to get around this.
Again, type the site's name in and type "Whois" next to it. This will bring up a few site which will give you the demographics of the site i.e. where the site is registered (apologies to our far eastern friends but I tend to steer clear of Chinese registered sites), when the site was registered (if it's registered just before a holiday period then that sets off alarm bells in my mind).
Read the text on the site properly. Is the grammar, spelling and punctuation correct or does it look like it's been converted by a translation engine? If it's the latter, look somewhere else.
Check the contact details. Most legitimate sites provide a telephone number and/or a personalised email address. Most dodgy sites won't provide a phone number and their email is a generic one like gmail, hotmail etc.
Don't be fooled by the fact that the website has a padlock on the address bar. All this means is that the website is secure from a data entry point of view, it doesn't mean the website itself is legitimate.
Only use sites that you know you can trust. Either by personal experience or by peer recommendation.

I realise that this post has gone off thread a little but repeating this information can only help and if it prevents even one ATSer from being scammed then that makes me a happy man.

edit on 4/6/12 by Pardon? because: Correcting autocorrect!

edit on 4/6/12 by Pardon? because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I have a Samsung something or other from Telus. It's pay as you go...and I only use it for emergencies, I haven't paid a bill yet and I've had it for other 2 months. As opposed to the BB Bold I used to have, which was over 90 dollars a month no matter what I did.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I think people would really be surprised of the prevalence of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (or simply having the traits but not the full-blown disorder). The reason is that if something is very common, people lose sight of it. Like you said, people obsess over the tiny details of a mini-computer or "NotDumbExpensive Phone" and willing fork over so much extra money for texting and phone minutes and justify the expenses for what amounts to gimmicks, often times, and luxury services. Cell phone companies make a killing on texting plans because they don't even cost the company money; it's already sending packets of data every second or so just to keep you connected to the network.

Anytime you do business with any business, you're usually being "scammed" / overcharged. That is the whole essence of profiting. It's taking in or asking for more than you're giving someone else. Who thinks to complain about it except for businesspeople? They don't care. They're guilty of it too. Consumers are too stupid to realize how screwed up it is. Businesses may also realize it's being done to them by the banks (where's THEY get the money from?), so they feel free to do the same to their customers. It doesn't matter if it's Wal-Mart or the local mom and pop -- they're all overcharging. It's just to a larger degree with one.

When does it end? When do we go back to giving people what they are worth and having fair trades? How could anyone stand to work at most places, knowing their labor is always worth more than they're getting paid? You have to be your own boss to make decent money. Anything else will be passing on a percent upward, and for what...? Early bird gets the worm?

Life is really like a monopoly game we enter at the last minute. The game is already over. You're lucky if you're born on one of the winning players sides.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Pardon?

If you're browsing a website you've not used before type its name into Google or whichever search engine you use and just type "review" next to it. Don't just go on the first review you read, trawl through several to get a better idea of what people think of the site. Be wary though as a lot of these sites will post fake reviews to get around this.

The same people giving themselves good reviews will also be giving their competitors bad reviews.

There are paid scammers that have 100's of tools they use to destroy the competition. I know because I've had to deal with these types. In some instances, the site with a bad review is the only honest one out there; too busy to play these games. I would take reviews with a grain of salt.

If you buy on the internet you take a risk, so buyer beware. The safe guards kind of work, but I think that most of the time people go into it with gusto because they think they are making a killing. What really happens is they bought something that may or may not represent good value just so they can say they outsmarted the "enemy".

The problem as I see it (addressed above) is that they believe the seller is a kind of enemy, when in the past they bought much less things with better peace of mind. If there was a problem it was fixed with a friendly smile.

There is true value in this and it's not something you want to lose.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by bowtomonkey
reply to post by Pardon?

The same people giving themselves good reviews will also be giving their competitors bad reviews.

There are paid scammers that have 100's of tools they use to destroy the competition. I know because I've had to deal with these types. In some instances, the site with a bad review is the only honest one out there; too busy to play these games. I would take reviews with a grain of salt.

If you buy on the internet you take a risk, so buyer beware. The safe guards kind of work, but I think that most of the time people go into it with gusto because they think they are making a killing. What really happens is they bought something that may or may not represent good value just so they can say they outsmarted the "enemy".

The problem as I see it (addressed above) is that they believe the seller is a kind of enemy, when in the past they bought much less things with better peace of mind. If there was a problem it was fixed with a friendly smile.

There is true value in this and it's not something you want to lose.

I completely agree with you.
Reading reviews on their own can prove dangerous which is why I posted a few other tips to be used alongside each other.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
When you buy stuff like computers, cell phones, heaters, tv's, multimedia devices, cars, bikes, tools, machinery etc. do a research. You can end up paying thousands of dollars for things that will break up after a month or have major design flaws.

Long over are times when some brand or line of products is known to be quality or even best buy.

One reason people buy Apple crap is not because they're good but because one knows they will work, especially if its a gift for someone. I've seen a lot of Toshiba, MSI, Asus and Dell laptops and many of them either had major design flaws, simply did not work or are guaranteed to break up after two years due to a very serious heating problem.

Are you maybe an XBox owner? Then you know what a scam is, Microsoft sells products that fail by design.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
This makes me think of my hippie friends, now listen to this. They meet a guy says his auntie works for the government in the department that approves pell grants and all. So all he needs is their bank account numbers and he will have 3500 per person deposited directly into it. His fee is only 500 payable after the money is there sounds great right, so they smoke some weed take all of their money out and then have this guy do this the money goes in everything looks cool they pay him. Well after about a week they find out he really screwed them on the account and they owe lots of money, after about three weeks the feds show up and are going to file charges on them, wheres the free money all gone and i would hate to be them. Oh and the guy is nowhere to be found burner phone lol.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I don't understand how some of these are "scams". A scam suggests something that is probably a crime or just truly nefarious.

For instance, "Cash4Gold", how is it a scam that people send in their jewelery and just accept whatever amount comes back in the mail? Go to a pawn shop, haggle, sell it to someone. Honestly, if you do "Cash4Gold" you shouldn't be able to complain. Sorry to come off as "callous".. but come on, really.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

For telemarketers,my favorites are:

Pretend to be deaf,mental or both.
Or try to chat them up.
In deaf mental character of course.

Good info OP, thanks for sharing.
Retail scammers are a real pet peeve of mine after being burnt a couple of times, so I am very aware of my rights & obligations these days. Amazing, at how sharing I work in Consumer Law, & start giving a spiel on current legislation will see most back down quickly & with apologies. (LoL-all bluff!!)

LoL Silcone Synapse,telemarketers, I look forward to hearing from. When they ask if the 'homeowner' is there, I oblige & put my 4yo on the phone, telling her a nice man wants to hear all about her day at kinda today. Lol, in her excitement at a phone call, there lots of stuttering, awkward pauses while she thinks of the right words, & telling him to 'hang on' while she checks her facts with me. Shes had them bailed up a good 20 minutes before yelling "Mum I cant hear them anymore"

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I just watched South Park last week for the first time ever. I laughed and laughed ...
How is it that it's been on 16 years and I'm just now seeing it? Oh well ...
I have 16 years of episodes to catch up on . It'll be fun.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Southpark... Ahh, yes, the show that is refreshingly blunt and an equal opportunity offender.

I've seen a few of the eps. One that I really enjoyed was the "rainforest" one where the hippies took the kids to the "rain forest" and were totally into the hippy enviro angle of it and once they got there they were freaked out about the giant bugs and wild animals, and they ran screaming out of it saying "this is just a #ing JUNGLE!" or something.

Anyway, it's been a few years but that's the gist of it.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I love telemarketers, especially the computerized recorded ones. I got one a few minutes ago and I immediately started pressing the phone keys (sometimes they are remotely programmed with the telephone keys) I must have hit a proper combination because it brought up some steady tones and then a fast busy signal. Maybe they will have to reprogram it. That will take some time.

Once I had a live one on the line and I started pressing the keys slowly randomly at first and I asked the person if they were doing that. No, they answered. I shouted OMG my phone is tapped again! They hung up right away.

I love telemarketers.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The nature of a scam is that the mark is completely unaware he is being conned. The best cons are where the mark runs headfirst into it and keeps coming back with a smile on their face.

If you carry any belief whatsoever you are at risk of being conned.

Ask yourself, "What is my own flat-earth thinking?"
The only way to answer is with a completely open mind and a destruction or at least full understanding of the power of belief.

The ultimate con is when it is done on an entire citizenry or population. You can ask, "But is it a con if everyone believes it?" The answer is yes. As long as there is a someone in the know or who is reaping benefit, power, profit/gains/wealth, there is a con system in place.

The key to understanding is in being able to observe the cons/scams but not participating or only to the conscious degree you choose to for various reasons.

When you understand the nature of mind/body/creation machine and how programming results in the physical manifestation of reality (fleshing out), you see that everyone has been and is being conned to some degree. The bell curve of our population is victim to a fat and happy con job and they will fight to the death to defend it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join