It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have Fruits and Vegetables Become Less Nutritious?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Kind of an old article, referencing an even older study, but still interesting and relevant

Modern intensive agricultural methods have stripped increasing amounts of nutrients from the soil in which the food we eat grows. Sadly, each successive generation of fast-growing, pest-resistant carrot is truly less good for you than the one before.

A landmark study on the topic by Donald Davis and his team of researchers from the University of Texas (UT) at Austin’s Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry was published in December 2004 in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition. They studied U.S. Department of Agriculture nutritional data from both 1950 and 1999 for 43 different vegetables and fruits, finding “reliable declines” in the amount of protein, calcium, phosphorus, iron, riboflavin (vitamin B2) and vitamin C over the past half century. Davis and his colleagues chalk up this declining nutritional content to the preponderance of agricultural practices designed to improve traits (size, growth rate, pest resistance) other than nutrition

www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

I think I once read a post on ATS ages ago.
Where the post said that since about the 30's all the nutrients from the soil have been grown out.
And that the only nutrients in the food we eat are the ones added artificially to the soil.

IMO things like floods in the midwest while bad for people are good for the land because they help to enrich the land with nutrients and miinerals.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I guess like your source says...it depends on the soil.
If you are a homegrown kind of person with you own garden you can easily
add natural nutrients to the soil.
Don't expect to get much nutrition from mass grown veggies though.

Remember though, without certain nutrients it's impossible for something to grow.
So there has to be SOME nutrients in the soil still.
edit on 3-6-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Common sense would tell me .. yes. The soil is tired. Too many people sucking off it .. and not giving back. That, on top of all the polution killing that which would have been healthy fertilizer for the soil, etc etc ... My GUESS is YES, the fruits and veggies are less nutritious due to tired soil.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

Where the post said that since about the 30's all the nutrients from the soil have been grown out.
And that the only nutrients in the food we eat are the ones added artificially to the soil.

MAYBE in specific reas that have been aggressively farmed, but thats a stretch to say that all soil has been depleted.

IMO things like floods in the midwest while bad for people are good for the land because they help to enrich the land with nutrients and miinerals.

Yes and no. Rivers are so full of industrial runoff that its hardly beneficial for the land any more.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
one thing is certain, we eat less seeds and pits today.. they are just discarded.

and modern gmo foods are "seedless" from the start

seeds and pits are a great source of B17

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I have no other evidence but anecdotal....

I love to garden. I grow most of my own stuff. Some heirloom, some hybridized. I will say, for sure 100%, the vegetables you get in the store are not developed for taste or nutrition. They are developed for shipping. So people might think they are eating vegetable X but instead they are eating some genetic representation of vegetable X.

Most folks would not recognize or like actual vegetables. The natural flavor is much more powerful than the store bought stuff. As far as nutrient degradation of the soil, it would be hard to argue it is not going on, at least across the spectrum. Perhaps Nitrogen or Phosphorus spikes but that is it.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
they actually use strains of fruit that last longer/less likely too rot as opposed to strains that have more nutriuents. They only use 1 strain instead of many so there is also less likely to be variety in the nutrients. fruit is also picked early so that it doesn't have time to fully develop on the tree, meaning less nutrients. On top of the pesticides they use..

It isn't exactly the soil, but they have changed to using things like MiracleGro instead of organic methods. The soil always has potential to hold nutrients, it just depends on putting things like fresh compost and manure inside it, crop rotations and things like that. instead of going through all that trouble people just spray everything with miracle grow. still has nutrients just not organic, not as good for your body or the plants.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Not only that, but they also carry hoards of parasitic larvae and eggs.. more now than ever before.

The majority of our produce is grown in foreign lands (Mexico, etc) and very little is even tested for parasitic presence before it makes its way into our grocery stores.

udel.edu...
edit on 3-6-2012 by Isabelx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Iam a Donut

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Thank you skull and beats for your valuable contribution!

I believe that volcanic erruptions provide important nutrients for soil and probably cause less harm than Mosanto if truth be known!

All left over vegetable matter (as long as it hasn't been cooked) goes into my compast bin which is alive with worms. A dollop goes in to the hole whenever I am planting in the garden, no easy matter as get a foot down in the ground and the clay is so solid you could make pots out of it. Trying to be positive about it, at least I'm not bothered with moles!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

I agree.

The main reason is we 'paved paradise to put up a parking lot'. In other words, the more the population grows, the more we have to build on top of the ground; where there was once rich soil, there is a building. So it makes since that the fruits and vegetables are no longer as nutritious as they were long ago.

Something to consider as the population continues to grow.....

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Not only that, but the nutrient profiles on products from grass-fed/pasture-raised cows (both meat and milk) and poultry (including eggs) versus their "conventional" (i.e. grain-fed, factory-farmed) counterparts are miles apart:

eatwild.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Indeed, as many of you note, it's not just that the soil is depleted (although it is), but that they are using different, less nutritious varieties today. It's actually a very lacking article, and doesnt appear to offer any link to the actual study, or discuss the methodology used.

Nonetheless, food for thought, I suppose. No pun intended.

Yet another study concluded that one would have to eat eight oranges today to derive the same amount of Vitamin A as our grandparents would have gotten from one.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I did a thread a little while ago about how vegetables may be bad for you
www.abovetopsecret.com...

the first link I provided talks about this very same thing

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

The current hoards of zombies and cannibals would
probably agree.

It comes to reason that adding spliced dna to gmo's will
displace other ingredients, and possibly end up having as
much nutrition as a twinkie.
Personally I prefer my home grown heirloom
veggies and herbs
for vit. b's etc ,
no need for commercial supplements.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Homegrown for sure tastes better, not sure about the nutritious output being better.

Has anyone else noticed how much everything seems more Greener this year?? My Garden is growing like crazy and all the trees around seem a brighter green. Im thinking they love the extra CO2 in the air.

My Corn is already 4-5 feet tall, Green Beens are flourishing, and the Sun Flowers we planted are almost as tall as the Corn already. We didnt plant tomatoes by seed this year but they also are growing like crazy. Cant wait to taste the habaneros (love HOT stuff) either.

EDIT: First year planting Sun Flowers and had no clue they will point to where the Sun is at all times. In the morning they point to the East and at dusk they are pointing to the West. Cool as hell!!!
edit on 3-6-2012 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

You and everyone on here who has even a small garden are heros in my book, i hope you harvest long into the year. Growing your own food is empowering, enlightening, fun, tasty, and more than anything healthy. What we have done as a country is replace soil(alive) with dirt(depleted) and compost/beneficial fungus and bacteria....with chemicals. that is as simple as it gets in my opinion.......give me a tomato grown with bat poo anyday.

-Foo

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I also grow my own vegetables- all organic, all heirloom. The taste is much better than the ones shipped in from wherever and the nutritional value is better. As others have already said, the varieties in the supermarkets are hybrids created for shipping long distance. The tomatoes have thicker walls and are often picked when still unripe and then artificially ripened. Supermarket cukes are often sprayed with wax to preserve them. And these days, so many of them are GM.

The best thing for both soil conditioning and overall plant health is composted manure. I have arrangements with two local horsefarms and I can get all I want for free !!!!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Check out the videos from Dr Wallach.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join