It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swarms of aggressive spiders attack town!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

It may sound like a B-grade horror movie, but residents of the town of Sadiya, in Assam state, say that on the evening of May 8 as they were celebrating a Hindu festival swarms of spiders suddenly appeared and attacked them, The Times of India reported.

Over the next few days two people -- a man, Purnakanta Buragohain, and an unnamed school boy -- died after being bitten by the spiders. Scores more turned up at the town's hospital with spider bites.

Read more: www.news.com.au...

Then on May 22, a team of life scientists from Dibrugarh University and Gauhati University arrived in Sadiya. Led by Dr L R Saikia, head, Department of Life Sciences, Dibrugarh University, the team camped in the trouble spot for two days and nights and collected specimens. "As of now, we cannot give a specific name. It's similar to the tarantula, but it could be a whole new species. There aren't any arachnologists in the northeast, so it will take us a while to identify it. But whatever the species, it is a highly aggressive spider. It leaps at anything that comes close. Some of the victims claimed the spider latched onto them after biting. If that is so, it needs to be dealt with carefully. The chelicerae and fangs of this critter are quite powerful; but it's too early to declare it a killer spider. In fact, we are yet to test its venom and find out the toxicity," says Dr Saikia.

dude thats nuts..

Swarms of spiders emerging from dark bushes and jumping at people..

girls will never go camping again if this hits youtube!
edit on 3-6-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Zombie believers will begin linking this to the spate of human attacks in 3....2....1....

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Zombie spiders

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

Zombie believers will begin linking this to the spate of human attacks in 3....2....1....

To hell with that, my first thought was "Facehuggers", after reading this part-

Some of the victims claimed the spider latched onto them after biting

In case people don't know what Facehuggers are..

Click here.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Sounds exactly like the film arachnophobia which I just watched the other night strangely. Except those spiders killed people really quick

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
When the say tarantula, how big would those critters be? I'm assuming that they are just related or something but usually when you mention tarantula, that means big spiders.. I'm glad that they are in India, they can keep them.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
This is the spider that swarmed the town.

It's UNBELIEVABLE how many people on the news site in India are outright blaming China for this! They came to this conclusion immediately! So much hate!

What's interesting was this one fella said this:

Shunu Basumatary (India)

The appearance of this spider is not confined only in Upper Assam. I came to know from few of my friends that even in lower Assam the same species invaded in few areas. But i want to know why it is appearing and invading human. I have collected information from the internet that it avoids prey that is bigger than his size or that can harm him then why it is attacking human so aggressively. Do it is giving certain signal of danger such as earth quake or just because of the changing climate.

My favorite was this one:

SMV (Mumbai)

Which variety bit the spiderman? Can we expect the village to be full of next gen spidermen?

lolz.

Reminds me of a trip to South America I took years back. I kid you not, at one point during nighttime in the jungle, the entire road appeared as if it were moving. It turned out to be a swarm of thousands of tarantulas moving together. The crunching under the tires was sickening, and we suffocated when we rolled up the windows and had no working A/C in the Jeep. I have no idea what incites this type of behavior.
edit on 3-6-2012 by SoulVisions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SoulVisions

Wow that thing is humongous...

I have seen some aggresive spiders, but nothing like this story described.. It's hard to imagine a swarm of angry spiders coming after anything that moves..

a decent flame thrower comes to mind...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Where is John Goodman when you need him (Arachnophobia.. for those who don't get the reference)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I will not be planning any trips there in the future. I have arachnophobia, I've had it since I was a child and have tried many different methods in an attempt to overcome it but nothing has worked. Hypnosis, holding spiders, holding crabs and so on. Every time I am near one I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack...

Don't let them come here please!!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoulVisions
This is the spider that swarmed the town.

OMG what a nightmare!! I would be freaking out big time if I lived in that town. I'd rather have reptilian aliens invade than spiders!

I wonder what is making them "invade" and be so aggressive.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
The "invading" is bad enough, if they just swarmed in - but the aggression and attaching themselves to peoole, leaping at you if you get close...that's a horror film happening for real. (as said above just like arachnophobia)
Perhaps they have come across in a shipping or air container and have escaped - as they are seemingly not native.
Regardless - its a BIG spider to come flying towards you...perhaps they should release some tarantula hawks and then stay inside for a few days...

Good luck to all the locals - theyre gonna need it!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Remember this thread i posted some time ago regarding a cargo ship turned away after it was heaving with spiders?
Cargoship turned away due to spiders

Where did it go?
How were there so many spiders on board?
For silk? Scientific purposes? an attack?

I thought i would post because it may be relevant.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
cool!!!

one of my favorite spiders is the wee little jumping spider.
its only about 1/4 cm. (1/8 inch) big,but these suckers don't put up with no crap!
they jump at you,they are not afraid of yo and they will bite you! over and over again!!!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

No no no, the spiders have been using Bath Salts.

Don't you know anything???!!

But seriously, I'm glad this is so far in another country, I cannot stand spiders. And certainly not ones that would come at me, bro... Oo

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
man whats with all the bizzare stories recently...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Eugh!

*shudders*

Very freaky!

Why do i always click on threads like this.

Damn you curiosity *shakes fist*

edit on 3-6-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Sounds frightening, but even a small injury can become deadly. Dr Phatowali who is supposed to be the superintendent of the town's hospital said the following:

"All the bite patients first went to witch doctors, who cut open their wounds with razors, drained out blood and burnt it. That could have also made them sick,"

Well...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by easy12
Sounds frightening, but even a small injury can become deadly. Dr Phatowali who is supposed to be the superintendent of the town's hospital said the following:

"All the bite patients first went to witch doctors, who cut open their wounds with razors, drained out blood and burnt it. That could have also made them sick,"

Well...

For when there are no words....

This is one very rare occasion where I will make an image post....

edit on 3-6-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SoulVisions

Thats just a random picture of a tarantula used to make the article look more interesting not the spiders that are invading the town.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join